You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Jamie apologises to evra for Suarez t shirt protest.

dockers_strike

I just think carra is in an impossible situation here. With everything that's going on around the game with regards racism in the game, he's just put on the spot and any hint of supporting racism will be jumped on. Regardless of if we like the decision of Suarez being found guilty, he was found guilty. And because he's a little cunt, it's easy for everyone to believe he's guilty. I like the fact the players came out in support of him, but I can see the other side. All carragher is doing, as he often does on the subject of football in his bid not to show his red bias, he hits the wrong note. I wish he hadn't said it, but I think it's understandable. 

• Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, skaro said:

What, him wearing a t-shirt in support of a team-mate who'd been in a contentious, "balance of probabilities" moral situation?

Or him spitting at someone?

The whole t-shirt thing. 

The spitting thing was abhorrent 

59 minutes ago, Captain Turdseye said:

Weird man, you are. The epitome of the kind of knob that fans of other clubs mock us for having as supporters. Strange Scando bloke that pays hundreds for tickets and always talks about ‘bitters’ and ‘chelshit’ whilst trying too hard. If you’re on Twitter I bet you sign off on all your Tweets with a #YNWA at the end. 

Couldn't you say the same about me?

And I'm much much further away than Scandinavia.

#YNWA,CT

Why is there a suggestion that Carragher was only responding to questions?? He INITIATED the conversation, just watch the video - Suarez was not even a conversation point until Carragher brought him up. --> https://www.skysports.com/football/news/29327/11841683/jamie-carragher-liverpool-made-huge-mistake-with-luis-suarez-t-shirts-after-patrice-evra-racism-row

Its national TV; it was very clearly a pre-orchestrated conversation to have and a very convenient way for Carragher to try and paint himself as a "moraliser" given recent exploits. Evra & Carragher, what a rap-sheet they have between themselves, what between spitting, headkicking fans, lobbing coins, being accused of homophobic abuse, grappling team mates on the pitch. Bastions of good moral standards.

Carragher is a xenophobe, his comments and actions towards Rafa and the other Spanish-speaking players at the time and later leaves little doubt about that. Him selling out now to stay on the Sky payroll is just a continuation of this. If it were up to Carra we would have Alan Curbishley, Hodgson or Eddie Howe managing us with a team of 11 British players.

• Downvote 2

58 minutes ago, RobbieOR said:

Go back and have a look at what Dalglish was saying at the time. He constantly went out to bat for him. The way we behaved at the time was wrong. Evra is a prick but the siege mentality the club created at the time albeit with good intentions didn't help anybody and probably made the situation worse. 

I’ve got nothing bad to say about Kenny’s reaction. After all it was him who sanctioned the T shirt stunt in the first place, the same incident Carra’s now apologizing. Kenny was the only one at the club showing any dignity and rightfully expressed his support for Suarez.

Our owners on the other hand, showed cowardice in the true meaning of the word.

1 hour ago, RobbieOR said:

And after they backed him, he still continued to bite people and agitate for moves every summer. He can fuck off. 

What a shock that he wanted to leave a club that didn't support him properly through that period. I have no sympathy with the biting, but that whole story was a complete stitch-up and the lack of balls we as a club showed then still grates me.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

27 minutes ago, Alex_K said:

Why is there a suggestion that Carragher was only responding to questions?? He INITIATED the conversation, just watch the video - Suarez was not even a conversation point until Carragher brought him up. --> https://www.skysports.com/football/news/29327/11841683/jamie-carragher-liverpool-made-huge-mistake-with-luis-suarez-t-shirts-after-patrice-evra-racism-row

Its national TV; it was very clearly a pre-orchestrated conversation to have and a very convenient way for Carragher to try and paint himself as a "moraliser" given recent exploits. Evra & Carragher, what a rap-sheet they have between themselves, what between spitting, headkicking fans, lobbing coins, being accused of homophobic abuse, grappling team mates on the pitch. Bastions of good moral standards.

You left out seducing poultry.

1 minute ago, lebron said:

What a shock that he wanted to leave a club that didn't support him properly through that period. I have no sympathy with the biting, but that whole story was a complete stitch-up and the lack of balls we as a club showed then still grates me.

Christ. 

46 minutes ago, skaro said:

Was right?  What's to say he didn't think completely differently at the time, and has just changed his mind now because he thinks it opportunistic or politically correct, or he wants a Murdoch salary, or he's really an Everton supporter, or whatever.

We have no idea what he thought at the time - just what he supposedly thinks now.

For instance, at the time, we'd have never thought in a million years that he'd spit at someone.

I'm saying he was right in what he said on Sky, obviously I don't know what he thought at the time.

Very polarised views. I think evra was a piece of shit in a wholly engineered, distateful episode. Racism is racism and we must fight it whenever and wherever we can.

In the heat of the moment, goaded by an opponent, anyone can say anything. Iknow I have and Ive regretted it afterwards. It takes a big man to say 'sorry' and despite what people may think, an even bigger man to say sorry on a flagship sports programme.

I dont know whether Jamie was co erced into this or, it was a pre / post match discussion brought up because of recent events with the national team or that FA Cup game where the players walked off over abuse. What is clear is tv expects people to talk and expand on their reasoning. Jamie's been a bit of a dick recently with the spitting episode so was probably being contrite and offering an olive branch at the same time.

I can only speak for myself. I didnt think the t shirt thing was a good idea at the time. I love Kenny and wont say a bad word against the man after all he has done for the club and fans.

If people want to think Jamie is a cunt and no longer a club legend for what they see as an act of betrayal, that's ok, it's their belief and right to think that.

1 hour ago, No2 said:

Carragher had literally one option last night and he took it. Was he to say live on air "Patrice you're a cunt and a liar"? He is that, we know that and I'm sure Carra does too but we need to accept they won that particular battle.

That's the top and bottom of it.

If he'd have taken any other line - or tried "No comment" - he would have been branded racist and never would have worked again anywhere. 

Ironically, the line he did take, "we supported him because he was one of our own" is much more racist  (by complicity) than saying "we supported him because, as you know, he's innocent, you lying cunt".

7 minutes ago, lebron said:

Thank God there’s still people like you around who can distinguish between right and wrong, and still believes in sticking up for you mate.

7 minutes ago, lebron said:

What so he tried to force through a move to Arsenal because the club didn't support him ?

I genuinely don't have the energy to get myself worked up about this, and I don't want to don the tinfoil hat but this genuinely does have the whiff of Sky engineering circumstances to shoehorn a big Sky-angle story into the zeitgeist. In a period where racism is a much-debated topic, they've put a rarely-used TV pundit involved in a historic major racism story onto their flagship programme next to a regular analyst who was loosely connected with said story, in full knowledge that said incident would come up which would force Carragher to either apologise / show some sort of contrition, or dead bat the story / defend the club's conduct.

Either way, in a massive raft of racism pieces in the media, Sky get a SKY EXCLUSIVE story - one of either "Carragher in Evra racism apology" or "Carragher in fresh Evra racism storm." To be honest I doubt he had much option - his only other alternative would be to refuse to appear and that would bring its own problems - exacerbated by the fact that Carragher himself is on a short leash following the spitting stuff. He's dancing to their tune, so he doesn't get to distance himself from their editorial agenda unilaterally. I don't like it at all but I don't really blame him - this is where he is now that he owes them one following his own rehabilitation after gobgate.

More annoyingly though, this is just another example of the UK establishment applauding itself for a job well done by "tackling" complex issues at the most superficial level whilst fundamental inequality exists pretty much everywhere in society. But Sky got Carra to apologise to Evra so well done them, racism is fixed and that.

• Upvote 5

36 minutes ago, Alex_K said:

That link shows the opposite of what you say it does.

Evra is vermin. Sadly this utter cunt will continue to get air time in the UK because by not having him in our faces will result in howls of "racism" and the British media will wheel this guy out as a previous "victim", making him an ideal hero in today's current climate blah blah. Fuck him.

7 minutes ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

That link shows the opposite of what you say it does.

?? Have you watched the video? At what point was Carragher asked his views on Suarez before initiating the topic himself?

23 minutes ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

That's the top and bottom of it.

If he'd have taken any other line - or tried "No comment" - he would have been branded racist and never would have worked again anywhere. 

Ironically, the line he did take, "we supported him because he was one of our own" is much more racist  (by complicity) than saying "we supported him because, as you know, he's innocent, you lying cunt".

From memory, you rigorously didn't and don't think Suarez was proven guilty in this matter.

Would you have apologised to Evra - so as not to be branded a racist and to make sure you could continue to get work?