You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Jamie apologises to evra for Suarez t shirt protest.

dockers_strike

Get you tin hats out.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/50133876

Ex-Liverpool defender Jamie Carragher has apologised to Patrice Evra for wearing t-shirts in support of Luis Suarez after the Uruguayan racially abused the Frenchman in 2011.

After a two-month investigation, Suarez was given an eight-game ban by the Football Association on 21 December.

A day later, Liverpool wore 'Suarez 7' t-shirts in the warm-up before their Premier League game against Wigan.

Carragher said the club "got it massively wrong".

The former England defender was working in his role as pundit on Sky Sports on Monday alongside ex-Manchester United full-back Evra.

Carragher said: "There is no doubt we made a massive mistake, that was obvious. We got to the ground, had our lunch and then had a team meeting - I don't know if it was the manager (Kenny Dalglish) or (coach) Steve Clarke - asking one of the players if he still still wearing the shirt and that is the first I had heard of it.

"I am not lying and saying I wasn't part of it because as the club we got it wrong and I was vice-captain. I am not sure who was actually behind it. I don't think it had anything to do with the manager Kenny, I think it was the players who were close to Luis in the dressing room who really wanted to support their mate.

"Maybe I have to look at myself now and say I did not have the courage as an individual to say 'I am not wearing it'. I don't think everyone within Liverpool Football Club thought what we was doing was right but I do think as a football club or you as a family, your first reaction is to support them even if you know that they are wrong and that is wrong."

Evra added: "When I saw it I was like this is ridiculous. This is unbelievable. You put your own club in danger when you do those things. You always have to support your player because he is from your team but this was after the ban. If it was before and we were waiting for the sanctioned, I would understand.

"What message do you send to the world? Supporting someone being banned because he used some racist words."

What happened between Suarez and Evra?

In November 2011, Suarez was charged by the Football Association with racially abusing Evra in a 1-1 draw between Liverpool and Manchester United at Anfield one month earlier.

On 20 December, Suarez was banned for eight games following a six-day hearing, during which Suarez was accused of using "insulting words", which included reference to the colour of Evra's skin. The ban was suspended pending an appeal. One day later, Suarez started in a 0-0 draw against Wigan, a game in which he hand his team-mates wore T-shirts with Suarez's name and picture on during the warm-up, in a display of support for the Uruguayan.

Liverpool backed the player in the dispute, saying: "We find it extraordinary that Luis can be found guilty on the word of Patrice Evra alone.

"No one else on the field of play - including Evra's own Manchester United team-mates and all the match officials - heard the alleged conversation between the two players in a crowded Kop goalmouth."

Suarez told media in Uruguay that he "called him [Evra] something his team-mates at Manchester call him".

Evra made his claims immediately after the match and was quoted as telling French television station Canal Plus: "There are cameras, you can see [Suarez] say a certain word to me at least 10 times."

The Football Association's report into the incident, released at the end of December 2011, stated that, after being tackled by the Uruguayan, Evra asked Suarez why he had kicked him, to which the forward replied in Spanish: "Because you are black."

When Evra challenged him to repeat the answer and said he would "punch him", Suarez said: "I don't speak to blacks."

Suarez is said to have used the term "negro" seven times in around two minutes.

On 3 January 2012, Liverpool decided not to appeal against the verdict, but the club maintained Suarez was innocent.

There's debate on here whether what Suarez said was racist and what the intent was, which whatever, I disagree with the general sentiment, not gonna open that can of worms again, but surely it's just common sense to recognize that t-shirt thing was embarrassing and misguided from the club. Good on Carragher for saying that publicly. 

• Upvote 4

Like you said, tinfoil hat time, but to me this seems like an obvious reaction and deflection to the racism towards Trent story. 

Can't have bad publicity around the red mancs can we?  

Carra has been Sky's bitch since the spitting incident, so the powers that be have probably leaned on him a bit and Jamie is happy to swallow the odd turd to keep his job. 

• Upvote 4

I learned a long time ago that even thinking about this shit is not worth the energy.

We got stitched up by the mancs and the FA and were absolutely hapless in defending our own honor, nevermind Luis'. This whole episode was certainly an embarrassment for the club, but less so because of some fucking t shirts, and more so because it showed us to be a bunch of incompetent pussies.

• Upvote 6

At the time I was more annoyed at the double standards that seemed to apply. I had no issue with Suarez being banned if he had used the words but Evra (from memory) admitted also using derogatory terms about Suarez’s ethnicity so if true they were both equally as guilty and it didn’t seem right that one got painted as the criminal and the other as the victim. Poor all round though.

It was great though when Evra and Ferdinand tried to take him out after the none shake of the hands incident and he dodged and they clattered each other instead.

• Upvote 3

Hva the F*** is Carra’s agenda? Why this and why now?

The club handled the Evra/Suarez situation cowardly without any backbone. It was bend over for sir Alex and FA all the way. Always thought the T-shirts were OK’d by Kenny. I’ve always been thinking: At least Kenny tried.  I tell you what Carra:  How dare you question Kenny’s integrity?

25 minutes ago, skaro said:

So, he was a sheep then.

And he's a sheep now.

Does sound a bit like this doesn't it? 

It was expedient for him to keep his head down back then and let other's take the flak. It's expedient for him to pop his head up and apologise on the part of others now. 

On a separate note, his commentary on us I find grating and excessively negative. 

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Mr T said:

Does sound a bit like this doesn't it? 

It was expedient for him to keep his head down back then and let other's take the flak. It's expedient for him to pop his head up and apologise on the part of others now. 

On a separate note, his commentary on us I find grating and excessively negative. 

To be fair, when we scored his reaction was brilliant. It means something to him. He commentates on us like a worried fan though.