You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Manchester United 1 Liverpool 1 (Oct 20 2019)

tlw content

16 hours ago, dave u said:

Mellor made the point that the VAR ref is an inexperienced official with only 15 PL games under his belt, and none of them involving big six clubs. So he was NEVER going to over-rule Martin Atkinson.

I did say in a post over the summer that the PL was going to have to (over)promote a whole load of Championship/League 1 referees just to man all the video screens.

I actually have a simple solution to this VAR bollocks. Just stick Clattenberg in the video booth as his ego is such that he'll happily over rule anyone that has got it wrong because he doesn't give a fuck. 

He's also the best ref we've had in about 15 years (probably since Durkin retired). 

Stick Clatts in charge.

Or Graham Poll...............

But not (SAF's mate) Howard!!

• Upvote 1

I actually have a simple solution to this VAR bollocks. Just stick Clattenberg in the video booth as his ego is such that he'll happily over rule anyone that has got it wrong because he doesn't give a fuck. 

He's also the best ref we've had in about 15 years (probably since Durkin retired). 

Stick Clatts in charge.

Erm.......

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-7594407/MARK-CLATTENBURG-VAR-got-big-calls-right-Manchester-Uniteds-opener-stood.html

MARK CLATTENBURG: VAR got the big calls right and Manchester United’s opener SHOULD have stood… Martin Atkinson was in a perfect position and he made the correct call by playing on

• Manchester United's draw with Liverpool was blighted with VAR controversy
  • Liverpool were aggrieved when a supposed foul on Divock Origi lead to a goal 
  • However the use of VAR was correct on the goal was rightly legitimate 

Should VAR have ruled out Manchester United’s opener? No. 

Protocol was followed and it was right to let Marcus Rashford’s goal stand. Divock Origi went down under a challenge from Victor Lindelof and referee Martin Atkinson was in a perfect position. 

He saw the incident clearly and allowed play to continue. It is debatable if Origi was fouled, and I think Atkinson made the right call by playing on. 

VAR was correct not to disallow Marcus Rashford's opener for Manchester United on Sunday
Divock Origi looked to have been fouled in the build up to United's goal but VAR said no
VAR then stood by the original decision of their official on the ground. Liverpool then thought they’d equalised before the break, only for VAR to intervene again. 

This one was straightforward. Television replays showed the ball clearly hit the arm of Sadio Mane in the build-up to the goal. 

He gained an advantage from it, so VAR was right to rule it out.

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, dave u said:

Speaking of bookings, what about the two fouls United players escaped yellow cards for shortly after Fabinho was booked. Outrageous I thought.

That's what tipped me over the edge, they did the same thing as Fab and got bugger all for it from Atkinson.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Vincent Vega said:

Erm.......

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-7594407/MARK-CLATTENBURG-VAR-got-big-calls-right-Manchester-Uniteds-opener-stood.html

MARK CLATTENBURG: VAR got the big calls right and Manchester United’s opener SHOULD have stood… Martin Atkinson was in a perfect position and he made the correct call by playing on

• Manchester United's draw with Liverpool was blighted with VAR controversy
  • Liverpool were aggrieved when a supposed foul on Divock Origi lead to a goal 
  • However the use of VAR was correct on the goal was rightly legitimate 

Should VAR have ruled out Manchester United’s opener? No. 

Protocol was followed and it was right to let Marcus Rashford’s goal stand. Divock Origi went down under a challenge from Victor Lindelof and referee Martin Atkinson was in a perfect position. 

He saw the incident clearly and allowed play to continue. It is debatable if Origi was fouled, and I think Atkinson made the right call by playing on. 

VAR was correct not to disallow Marcus Rashford's opener for Manchester United on Sunday
Divock Origi looked to have been fouled in the build up to United's goal but VAR said no
VAR then stood by the original decision of their official on the ground. Liverpool then thought they’d equalised before the break, only for VAR to intervene again. 

This one was straightforward. Television replays showed the ball clearly hit the arm of Sadio Mane in the build-up to the goal. 

He gained an advantage from it, so VAR was right to rule it out.

Ok forget that then,, basically it's fucked and can't be fixed.

• Upvote 1

Haven' seen any media outlet or referee touch upon the fact that Lindelof climbed Mane's back through that whole sequence. I was sure he was going to give a foul and a card, as all this happened before the ball fell onto Mane's hand.

As implemented now, the whole VAR thing (especially in the PL) has further complicated football as well as often destroying the viewer experience.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, lebron said:

Haven' seen any media outlet or referee touch upon the fact that Lindelof climbed Mane's back through that whole sequence. I was sure he was going to give a foul and a card, as all this happened before the ball fell onto Mane's hand.

As implemented now, the whole VAR thing (especially in the PL) has further complicated football as well as often destroying the viewer experience.

Was going to bring that upon Sunday night but decided to put the game behind me.

• dave u unpinned this topic