You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Featured: That was the week that was (Oct 12-18 2019)

tlw content

theweekthatwas.jpg

Saturday Oct 12:

With no footy this weekend all eyes turned to the legends game up at Ibrox. Ok, not all eyes, as I didn’t watch it and I daresay most of you didn’t either. I don’t know what it is, but these games don’t do it for me at all. They used to. I loved seeing all the old boys getting a run out and I’d be as nostalgic as anyone. Something has changed now though. It might be me or it might be the fact that the likes of Babb, Kvarme and Diao are often wheeled out, and no-one wants to see that.

I saw some clips on Twitter of this one and it left me cold. I didn’t like seeing Stevie playing in blue and I didn’t like seeing H*sk*y back playing in red. Ok, I’m half joking there, I’m not really arsed and don’t have any real ill will towards big Emile, but seeing him score did remind me of something I’d completely forgotten. His spinning the decks goal celebration was sooooooo fucking shit. I really hate it.

I said there was no footy, but what I meant was no proper footy. There are plenty of international games going on and Gini bagged another couple of goals for Holland. He seems to score for them every time he plays, but that’s because Big Red Ron uses him as a number ten playing just off the front man. 

Gini is such a good all round player he could play anywhere and do a good job. He’s played centre back and centre forward for us, as well as in various midfield roles and out wide. I think he may have played right back once too? Such a good player, but I often feel he isn’t let off the leash enough for us. 

Now and again you can tell he’s got licence to just bomb forward and when he does he’s usually devastating. Most of the time though he’s disciplined and safe and just fills gaps to allow others (usually the full backs) to raid forward. A lot of players wouldn’t sacrifice themselves like that, especially when they’re capable of scoring and creating goals, but it just shows what a top lad Gini is. You know what he is? A Dutch James Milner.

Sunday Oct 13:

Firmino is linked with Barca by the Spanish press. They need to replace Suarez and Bobby is obviously the best option out there to replace him. I’m not worried because even though South American players tend to see Real and Barca as the pinnacle, I reckon Bobby might be the exception to that rule. He knows what a good thing he’s got going here, and he’ll also have seen what happened to his mate Phil.

The article was probably bollocks anyway as it said that the other names on the list were Mbappe, Kane, someone I’d never even heard of and, wait for it….. Marcus Rashford. Hahaha fuck off! Don’t get me wrong, I’m not saying he’s shit, he’s a good player with the potential to be very good. But you don’t replace Luis Suarez with Marcus Rashford and I don’t know how you join those dots from Suarez, Kane, Firmino to Rashford. It’s like saying “I’m replacing the Bentley. I’m trying to decide between a Range Rover, a Jag, a Rolls Royce or a Nissan Quashqai. 

This is just a teaser, click to view the full article

Please note that the Week that Was is only available to website subscribers. Subscriptions cost just £2 a month (you need to register first) and can be purchased here. 

• dave u pinned this topic

They’re all snidey disingenuous twats Dave they just want to split the Van Dijk vote.  The mancs were clearly playing games with all these in and out injury news stories.  The funny thing is it doesn’t make a bit of difference.  We try to play the same way every game regardless anyway and you knew they were going to go for some form of long ball shithouse 5 at the back tactics.

"I didn’t like seeing H*sk*y back playing in red"

His goal against Rangers reminded me a bit like the one he scored against Bayern in the Super Cup in 2001. He was my favourite Liverpool player in the treble season - I remember him smashing in goals for fun - like the goal against Leeds in the FA cup at Elland Road (I hated Leeds and David O'Leary). Not sure why it went downhill from there - he could have been our Drogba.

3 hours ago, Moin Kapadia said:

"I didn’t like seeing H*sk*y back playing in red"

His goal against Rangers reminded me a bit like the one he scored against Bayern in the Super Cup in 2001. He was my favourite Liverpool player in the treble season - I remember him smashing in goals for fun - like the goal against Leeds in the FA cup at Elland Road (I hated Leeds and David O'Leary). Not sure why it went downhill from there - he could have been our Drogba.

That’s what wound me up about him one week he’d bully defenders score goals and look unplayable next couple of weeks he’d be shite.

Rio Ferdinand spoke about chatting to him before matches in the tunnel asking about his family being nice etc. He was saying it worked to make sure you were playing against a “nice” Heskey instead of an angry one. In fairness to Ferdinand that’s pretty clever. 

Heskey would always be angry when he played against Chelsea for some reason. He'd end up in a war with their centre backs and I loved watching that version of him as he was unplayable. 

80% of the time though he was a pussy cat.

Could have been a truly great player but just didn't have it in him to do it every week.

• dave u unpinned this topic