You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

All New International Week - Group B - Voting

Bjornebye

Vote for the best team   

9 members have voted

1. 1. Vote for your best team

Dynamite

Xavi and Gerrard in the same midfield is outstanding. Lot of time for Collins but thats like putting marie-rose sauce on scallops. Decent defence and keeper. Sanchez at his peak was very good and I love Lewandowski. Turan.... meh.

Stig

(Copied from the discussion thread) 

Keeper - I was running short on players from Cze/Cro/Pol and seeing as he has played at the top level and still does, he goes in. 

Full backs - Wanted attacking full-backs. In Robbo I've got the current best in the word and Petrescu I was made up with because the pool of talent wasn't great in Rom/Bul/Gre/Tur. He is right near the top. 

CB's - Again with Agger, Obviously a very good CB but I needed him in as Den/Swe/Nor was always going to run out quick. Only realised last minute that Nesta had gone but Chellini is more that suitable as a replacement. Two solid CB's. 

CM's - Vidal , again Chi/Col/Uru was running short but he is defo one of the top picks available. Really wanted us to get him a few years ago from Juventus. Probably one of the best CM's about then. Guardiola as DM keeping things tight and not giving anyone a sniff. Beckham easily the most under-rated player on these drafts. Imagine him pinging up to Henry and Drogba. 

Forwards - Id be surprised to see a better attack in the draft. Henry and Drogba two of the greatest the premier league has ever seen (Henry being the best) and Rivaldo behind working his magic. 

MegadriveMan

Full backs and Sahin let down an otherwise excellent side. Lampard, Alonso and Vieira in a midfield would normally piss it into the final of a draft on here but Sahin was/is proper shit. 

viRdjil

The spine reads: Sorensen, Stam/Cordoba, Lambert, Berbatov. Surrounded by proper world class players to be fair but still..... Could have done better IMO. Davor Suker would have been a better shout than Berbatov. 

I can't vote for me so Dynamite. 

This is pretty tough. Scholes over Lampard tips virdjil's over the line for me, as he's better suited to that formation.

Dynamite: There's a lot I like in this team, but I think it falls down a bit on Sanchez/Turan who were both very good players at their best but mutually flopped at the top level at Barca. When the equivalent competition is Salah/C. Ronaldo there's no contest. Lots of nice retro picks in this one but the shape is a little bit off for me.

Stig: Best team last Draft out but find this one a little bit behind. Far too narrow. The midfield would be falling over itself a bit occupying the same space. Petrescu, Agger & Scezny were all also pretty mediocre on the strength of their work, and 3 mediocre players all in the same area of the pitch is too much to carry.

MegaDriveMan: A bit too one-paced in midfield. Its a very tidy team but feels a bit mechanical. Lacks width.

virDjil: Berbatov was a strange, unnecessary pick I felt especially so early on. That said C. Ronaldo & Salah are both epic goalscorers, so they can pick up the flack. Would prefer to see it in a 4-2-3-1 (with Redondo/Lambert sharing DM and Scholes flanked by the two wingers). Very classy defence. Sorensen was a solid goalkeeper. Scholes in/Lampard out is what pushes this one over the line.

10 minutes ago, Alex_K said:

Dynamite: There's a lot I like in this team, but I think it falls down a bit on Sanchez/Turan who were both very good players at their best but mutually flopped at the top level at Barca. When the equivalent competition is Salah/C. Ronaldo there's no contest. Lots of nice retro picks in this one but the shape is a little bit off for me.

Sanchez flopped at Barca? Aren't we supposed to be judging players at their peak anyway?

Oh, and what's off with the shape?

Oh again, Kahn wasn't just a decent keeper, he was an outstanding keeper. Far and away the best keeper in this half of the draft.

2 minutes ago, Dynamite said:

Sanchez flopped at Barca? Aren't we supposed to be judging players at their peak anyway?

Oh, and what's off with the shape?

Oh again, Kahn wasn't just a decent keeper, he was an outstanding keeper. Far and away the best keeper in this half of the draft.

Yup - Kahn was outstanding, probably the best but Cech at his best was also a really incredible keeper. I don't think there's that much separating those two.

And yes, judging players at their peak, but then that begs the question .. what was Sanchez's peak? Very good domestic player at his peak (in a side that were never league-competitive) but very little in Europe, with 3 goals in 24 CL games for Barca. Its all relative - C. Ronaldo's peak is that of arguably the greatest of all time, while Salah's peak is that of driving force in a CL win and one of the greatest domestic sides the English game has ever seen (and he was unequivocally the man on the road to the Kiev final). Shape wise I don't see a clear ball winner or leg-work midfielder in there. Xavi was best with a Busquets/Toure/Mascherano behind him - in this set-up he's playing that function. Gerrard also needed a clear, disciplined midfielder alongside him. Collins isn't really that DM either.

Super close and had it been Lampard over Scholes you'd have taken it, but that switch kind of equals the two midfields out for me given the balance in respective sides, and as above I think there's clear water between the two sets of wingers.

Collins and Gerrard were very capable ball winners. I'd say bar Vieira in this group, Gerrard was probably the next best. Some would argue that Vidal is/was, but I'd disagree.

I'm not going to compare Sanchez to Ronaldo, as that's pointless, but like Ronaldo, I would bring up the fact that Sanchez basically carried his country for over a decade, helping them to consecutive Copa America titles along the way.