You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Alexander-Arnold enters the Guinness book of Records

TLW

Trent Alexander-Arnold has achieved his own slice of history after entering the Guinness Book of Records for 2020 by setting a new assist mark by a defender in the Premier League.

The fine achievement by the Right-back where he registered 12 assists during the 2018/9 Premier League season saw him surpass the previous mark of 11 set by two Evertonians in Andy Hinchcliffe (1994/5) and Leighton Baines more recently in 2010/11.

Speaking at the unveiling of the iconic publication, Alexander Arnold said he was humbled by the honour but he was also quick to recognise his teammates.

The Mirror reported Trent as saying:

"It’s an unbelievably proud moment for me and my family, and something I hope will stand for a few years.”

"I’ve always wanted to go forward and help the team to create as many chances as possible.

“It’s obviously down to the lads to put the ball into the back of the net, because football is a team game and without them this record wouldn’t be possible.

alexander-arnold2_600.jpg

Alexander-Arnold gave particular praise to two of his defensive colleagues in Andy Robertson who finished one assist behind Trent and Virgil Van Dijk.

"Andy probably thought he had the (assist) competition wrapped up! 

“Near the end of the season we both hit really good form, we were both getting lots of assists and it was good to help the team in those games that we needed to win.”

“Virgil is a world-class player and the best I have played with.

"We benefited a lot last season knowing we have players like Virgil giving us the protection behind us."

Of all the 16 assists that the 21 year-old tallied in all competitions during the last campaign, there is one that holds great personal memories.

That fateful corner against Barcelona in the second leg of their Champions League semi-final clash.

Alexander-Arnold talked everyone through about what he was thinking at the point of his pin-point delivery.

“I looked over into the box and saw that all the Barcelona players had switched off. I saw Divock in there and thought ‘why not?’

“It was a really special goal - everything fell into place so perfectly.

"Hopefully it will stay in the memories of everyone who was there or watching that night.”

View full article

Since when did this sort of thing enter the guiness book of records? I thought a world record had to be something everyone could have a go at. Like eating forty hot dogs in a minute or something.

What next, is highest pass competion rate for a centre mid is going to be in there as a world record

• Upvote 6

Based on the fact that I probably take one poo every day, there are 365 days per year and I have been alive for 46 years I have had at least 16,790 poos. Must be a world record? 

Just been looking into how Guiness World of Records can be entered. You have to apply yourself if you want a record to be set, it is not something that is noticed internally. In other words, somebody applied for Trent to be entered into the Guiness World of Records for the highest number of assists from a fullback.

With this in mind, this thread belongs either in the Shitness of Modern Football thread or even better, in the bin.