You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Featured: That was the week that was (Oct 5-11 2019)

tlw content

theweekthatwas.jpg

Saturday Oct 5:

L 2 Leicester 1 Footy is mad these days. The last couple of years has completely changed how we perceive results. A draw at home with the third or fourth best team in the country has never been a bad result. It isn’t always a good one, but it's ok. At least it always used to be. Now, any dropped points feels massive so that last gap Milner pen seems bigger than it probably actually is.

I don’t think this is how it’s always going to be, but it is how it is right now as a direct result of what City have done over the last couple of seasons. The scars from last year run deep and any point dropped feels like it could be decisive, which is ridiculous when you think about it as we're not going to win all 38 games (although going into the season I thought we might need to win 34 to improve on 2nd place).

For all we know City might not get anywhere near 100 points this season though, and if that’s the case then as fans we can chill out a bit because this feeling of “needing to win” every single game is fucking exhausting.

Last season was great because we won number six but the stress of that title challenge was brutal because there’s just no margin for error. It’s probably helped us though, because we’ve had a few games this season where we could have dropped points but didn’t. This is the closest call we’ve had so far but Chelsea and Sheff United weren’t exactly comfortable either. 

The lads know how to get it done though. Getting a penalty so late on is a bit fortunate (although it was a pen) but not when you look at the last ten minutes as a whole. After conceding, we regrouped and then piled on the pressure. The win was fully deserved. Brendan was talking some bollocks about them deserving a draw but they had two chances in 90 minutes and I’m fairly sure one of them was offside. We could have scored five.

Klopp was made up with how the team played and you can tell he thinks a lot more of Leicester than most fans seem to. He says they’ll finish in the top four. Not sure I’d lock them in for it but they defo have a chance because there are big question marks over everyone other than us and City. 

Also today, the u18s came from a goal down to win 6-1 at Everton. These games always make me laugh because when Everton score their players go absolutely fucking nuts. Completely over the top in their celebrations because it’s just ingrained into everyone at that club to hate the redshite. I’ve been to loads of these games and it’s always the same when they score. Same thing happened here, but then the young Reds just slapped them around and humiliated them.

I like this team, especially the midfield. Cain and Clarkson are a joy to watch, two proper cultured little footballers, and I like the look of James Norris too. 

Sunday Oct 6:

City lose, United lose and Everton are in the bottom three. Fucking hell, what a day. It’s hard to comprehend that we’re eight points ahead after only eight games. City have lost two and drawn one, which isn’t great (and is almost a crisis by their standards) but in the past would have normally seen them only a point or two off the top. As I said though, the bar has been raised. This time by us. Now they know how we felt last season, the pricks.

They’ll get themselves back on track eventually but these problems they have aren’t going to be fixed in the next few weeks and there’s a chance for us to extend this lead and virtually make ourselves uncatchable. City will drop more points between now and Christmas, so the key is for us to make sure we drop less then them and then see where we are in January.

The rest of the country all seem to be saying the title race is over and the only ones not saying it are Reds. Yet if this goes tits up you just know we’ll get mocked with “them deluded scousers thought they’d won it”. No-one I know thinks we’ve won it, how could we ever be that cocky and presumptuous when we haven’t won the league for so long? Maybe if we’d been enjoying a run like we had in the 80s we’d be full of that type of bravado, but that’s not the case.

I’m not prepared to say we’ve got this in the bag but to be honest if I supported someone else I’d probably be looking at how good Liverpool are these days (and how wobbly City look) and I’d be thinking that it’s over. It’s only our own fears and insecurity stopping us thinking like that, but that's not a bad thing.

Meanwhile, there was a weird line up for the 23s today. They won 3-2 against Wigan, but half the players you’d expect to play weren’t there. Surprisingly, Harvey Elliot did play though, and Yasser Larouci played centre forward. Dixon-Bonner scored twice and Tom Hill got the other.

Joe Gerhart played for Wigan. He’s the 17 year old scouser we’ve been linked with. He looked class and scored twice. He looks like a better version of Bobby Duncan. Hopefully he’s less of a knobhead. To be fair it would be tough to be more of one.

So there’s some talk that the FA are going to look into the incident at full time yesterday when that loser Ayoze Perez lost his shit and went for Robbo. Jeez, that’s the very definition of ‘nothing to see here, move along’. There’s no way anything will come of that as Robbo didn’t do anything and as much as I can’t stand that giraffe necked twat Ayoze, he didn’t really do much either.

This is just a teaser, click to view the full article

Please note that the Week that Was is only available to website subscribers. Subscriptions cost just £2 a month (you need to register first) and can be purchased here. 

• dave u pinned this topic
11 hours ago, DaveTucker said:

I did like Maddison's tweet to the S*n the other day in his defence. 

Also, Southgate is a joke. I couldn't give a fuck about England but that back 4 would look ok if he played Trent, Gomez and Chillwell. 

I think we will see some if not all of them tomorrow night 

• dave u unpinned this topic