You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Ecuador

Oh Buoy

8 hours ago, Jose Jones said:

Seems a strange line to take that people aren't allowed to demonstrate against their government just because it was elected.

Surely that is one of the standing pillars of democracy?

Yes, I quite agree. You appear to have missed my point. Fortunately SasaS was here to elucidate.

Now that the protestors have won, I'd just like to add that it was a bit rich from Lenin Moreno (who I also thought must be a lefty with a first name like that and with Ecuador helping Assange and all) to accuse Venezuela of meddling into Ecuadorian affairs.

3 hours ago, SasaS said:

Now that the protestors have won, I'd just like to add that it was a bit rich from Lenin Moreno (who I also thought must be a lefty with a first name like that and with Ecuador helping Assange and all) to accuse Venezuela of meddling into Ecuadorian affairs.

Pretty sure names are not an indication of politics, and isn’t Moreno the one who gave Assange up. And he’s a shit left back.

14 minutes ago, Anubis said:

Pretty sure names are not an indication of politics, and isn’t Moreno the one who gave Assange up. And he’s a shit left back.

You have obviously never met Ilich Ramirez Sanchez.

Moreno is apparently shit as a left winger too, so he tried to switch sides.  

6 hours ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

Yes, I quite agree. You appear to have missed my point. Fortunately SasaS was here to elucidate.

Ok, I did miss your point.

Presumably Maduro being the “corrupt scumbag” that moof thought it outrageous to protest against?

Or did you have someone else in mind?

14 minutes ago, Jose Jones said:

Ok, I did miss your point.

Presumably Maduro being the “corrupt scumbag” that moof thought it outrageous to protest against?

Or did you have someone else in mind?

Would be incredibly thick, if so.

Say it ain’t, stronty?

6 hours ago, Spy Bee said:

I've been to Quito. It was rough as fuck & I thought I was going to be killed.

Galapagos was nice though.

Like every big city it's got it's good & bad, I guess

The old town is lovely during the day... you have to be a little careful at night.

The new town is mainly affluent 

Avoid the Favelas on the outskirts

• 4 years later...

Ecuador’s President Daniel Noboa has declared an “internal armed conflict” in the country, ordering security forces to “neutralize” several criminal groups accused of spreading extreme violence in the Latin American nation.

The decree came shortly after hooded and armed men interrupted a live television broadcast – one of several violent incidents playing out across the country on Tuesday.

Ecuadorians were stunned as they watched the takeover of TC Television’s live broadcast from the coastal city of Guayaquil. Social media video showed the assailants forcing staff of the state-owned network onto the floor of the studio as shots and yelling were heard in the background.

The situation has struck fear among many Ecuadorians. One woman, who lives outside Guayaquil and was told to go home early by her boss, described the chaotic traffic on her drive home. “Cars were going the wrong way; everyone was just trying to get through,” she said.

“The scariest part was seeing the desperation, seeing businesses shutting down, desperate people, including children and women, running frantically in avenues only meant for cars.”

The country has been rocked by explosions, police kidnappings, and prison disturbances since Noboa on Monday declared a nationwide state of emergency after high-profile gang leader Adolfo "Fito" Macias escaped from a prison in Guayaquil.

Ecuador is “living a real nightmare,” former President Rafael Correa said in a video shared on X Tuesday. The situation was “the result of the systematic destruction of the rule of law, of the errors of hatred accumulated over the last seven years,” he claimed.