You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Plymouth

lifetime fan

Lived there for a year and a bit when I was in the Navy. 

The Barbican and Hoe is lovely for a beer especially on a sunday afternoon. The main street where the clubs all are can be good if you like a fight and shagging a hunter (which I know you do). It is very very high on chavs but its just a city in the middle of a beautiful part of the country. I was devastated when I got a Pompey based ship because I loved Plymouth. Im glad I got a Pompey one though because it pisses on 'Guz' as we used to call it. 

I haven't been there in about 15 years though so ignore me. 

My brother lives there so know it reasonably well

Barbican has some good pubs, bars and restaurants and is lively

Mutley is studenty and Mannamead nice

The Hoe is lovely in the summer as is Rame Head and you are bang in the middle of a really lovely part of the country

Bad things include the bad Janner peasants; it's fucking miles from anywhere and it rains, a lot

11 minutes ago, mattyq said:

My brother lives there so know it reasonably well

Barbican has some good pubs, bars and restaurants and is lively

Mutley is studenty and Mannamead nice

The Hoe is lovely in the summer as is Rame Head and you are bang in the middle of a really lovely part of the country

Bad things include the bad Janner peasants; it's fucking miles from anywhere and it rains, a lot

Not sure it does a lot like certainly not from memory but when it rains it absolutely batters it down. 

1 hour ago, Bjornebye said:

Lived there for a year and a bit when I was in the Navy. 

The Barbican and Hoe is lovely for a beer especially on a sunday afternoon. The main street where the clubs all are can be good if you like a fight and shagging a hunter (which I know you do). It is very very high on chavs but its just a city in the middle of a beautiful part of the country. I was devastated when I got a Pompey based ship because I loved Plymouth. Im glad I got a Pompey one though because it pisses on 'Guz' as we used to call it. 

I haven't been there in about 15 years though so ignore me. 

That's also my experience of the place, pretty much to a T.

21 minutes ago, mattyq said:

I reckon I've been there about 30 times at least over the last 7 or 8 years and for 20 of those it was raining. 10 of them it was blowing a gale

When it was sunny, though, the Hoe and the Sound and Devon and Cornwall were fucking stunning

Seriously stunning. I sailed for 4 days all up the Tamar and round the place. Breathtaking scenery. I remember us racing back , about 8 yachts and just after we got past the chain ferries a Swedish submarine came up. Fucking shit ourselves as you'd expect. Surreal times for a 17 year old lad. We won as well despite it blowing a bastard and us pretty much touching noses with the water at times. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Duff Man said:

RFA. I was there for about 6 weeks in 2001; doing FOST and some other shit.

FOST? You mean BOST? Or did you lot do it different? or you on about Flag Office Surface Flotilla inspection stuff? 

RFA you fanny. 

Just now, Bjornebye said:

FOST? You mean BOST? Or did you lot do it different? or you on about Flag Office Surface Flotilla inspection stuff? 

RFA you fanny. 

Think we did both (FOST and BOST), and they were equally shit. FOST stood for Flag Officer Sea Training back in those days.

And ha, that was the insult of choice from anyone I encountered who was in the actual forces, particularly the marines we had on board in Salalah. I was too pissed and/or stoned to give a fuck though.

5 minutes ago, Duff Man said:

Think we did both (FOST and BOST), and they were equally shit. FOST stood for Flag Officer Sea Training back in those days.

And ha, that was the insult of choice from anyone I encountered who was in the actual forces, particularly the marines we had on board in Salalah. I was too pissed and/or stoned to give a fuck though.

Aah yes of course. BOST and OST are fucking horrible. I was meant to join HMS Newcastle which was Guz based and about to deploy to the south pacific but some twat broke his leg so I got lined with joining HMS Iron Duke. Joined it in Rosyth as it was coming out of re-fit so my first experiences at Sea were BOST and OST. Disgraceful times. 

Fanny. 

7 minutes ago, Chip Butty said:

For Plymouth, read Plywood, as they're pretty much one and the same thing.

Though the wood has a bit more zest versatility if we're all being honest with one another. 

Used to be some good clubs in the city back when I was there. Millennium, Jokers, Dance Academy.. Some decent pubs too. 

Torpoint was a cracking night out but as a fella I wouldn't go there unless you are forces. Two women used to run The Kings on the corner by the river. Jesus they were unreal. Seriously hot women. 

Look out for Twitter Brexiteer, Darren of Plymouth, who was busy building his own Twitter army to start an armed insurrection on 31st Oct if we don’t leave with no deal.

Unfortunately, his unintentionally amusing account appears to have been suspended, probably at MI:5’s behest.

But if you’re going, remember to take your best pitchfork.

Plymouth is all right really.  Was just kidding, as it does have some stunning areas around it that make the City pale in comparison.  Rarely went out there to be honest (we preferred the altogether more upmarket fayre of Newton Abbot and Torbay - because it was a bit closer and we had places to crash), but last time I was there there seemed to be a couple of nice looking pubs around the Royal Parade area (I couldn't partake as was at St Andrews for a wedding).

Was actually on the outskirts for the reception (Derriford) and even from there you can see right out over the moors.

21 minutes ago, Jairzinho said:

Dance Academy was ace.

Yep. I saw the Tidy Boys and Lisa Lashes there. And Anne Savage. Not that into dance music but them day where fucking great. Leaving at 6am with the sun beating down just surrounded by Plymouth girls after some navy cock.... "yeah I'm in a B&B on the Citadel Road" BANG. 

2 minutes ago, Pidge said:

Plymouth is all right really.  Was just kidding, as it does have some stunning areas around it that make the City pale in comparison.  Rarely went out there to be honest (we preferred the altogether more upmarket fayre of Newton Abbot and Torbay - because it was a bit closer and we had places to crash), but last time I was there there seemed to be a couple of nice looking pubs around the Royal Parade area (I couldn't partake as was at St Andrews for a wedding).

Was actually on the outskirts for the reception (Derriford) and even from there you can see right out over the moors.

I got a train back on a sunday from Liverpool. Got to Exeter St Davids and the train just stopped. Got told it isn't going on to Plymouth. next train was at about 6am so I fell asleep on a bench on the platform. The guard woke me up saying some fella is getting a taxi to Derriford hospital to see his mum or something and do I want to go halves with him. Yeah no problem. Get in the cab and this prick was racist as fuck to the taxi driver. Really out of order. He didn't know Plymouth so I said drop me off at the ferries to the driver who knew I was going way past where this racist prick wanted to be. Got my bag out the boot and told him to fuck off. Did a little jog to see he was chasing me so I dropped my bag and he shit himself. Jumped on the ferry and was back on the base in no time. I'm not the kind to fuck any over but racists I can't abide. 

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

Yep. I saw the Tidy Boys and Lisa Lashes there. And Anne Savage. Not that into dance music but them day where fucking great. Leaving at 6am with the sun beating down just surrounded by Plymouth girls after some navy cock.... "yeah I'm in a B&B on the Citadel Road" BANG. 

Used to only be in to drum and bass. Devon was generally ace for it. Roni Size, Micky Finn, Andy C, Shy FX, et al.

Lemon Grove in Exeter was good as well.

13 minutes ago, Jairzinho said:

Used to only be in to drum and bass. Devon was generally ace for it. Roni Size, Micky Finn, Andy C, Shy FX, et al.

Lemon Grove in Exeter was good as well.

Saw Andy C as well. I remember coming up on a pill on the balcony in Dance Academy as was sure i saw fellas with pneumatic drills on the stage. mentioned it to my mate the next day and got properly laughed at. 

Actually I think that was Candy Store in Bournemouth. Same sort of venues. 

17 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

I got a train back on a sunday from Liverpool. Got to Exeter St Davids and the train just stopped. Got told it isn't going on to Plymouth. next train was at about 6am so I fell asleep on a bench on the platform. The guard woke me up saying some fella is getting a taxi to Derriford hospital to see his mum or something and do I want to go halves with him. Yeah no problem. Get in the cab and this prick was racist as fuck to the taxi driver. Really out of order. He didn't know Plymouth so I said drop me off at the ferries to the driver who knew I was going way past where this racist prick wanted to be. Got my bag out the boot and told him to fuck off. Did a little jog to see he was chasing me so I dropped my bag and he shit himself. Jumped on the ferry and was back on the base in no time. I'm not the kind to fuck any over but racists I can't abide. 

And Darren was never the same again.

• Upvote 2