You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Premier League Round Up (Sep 29 - Oct 1 2019)

tlw content

So I said last week that Everton would get something against City. Most of you thought I was mad but the truth is they almost did. At 1-1 they were giving as good as they got and Mina missed a couple of really good chances with free headers from corners. Then what happened? I’ll tell you what happened. Jordan fucking Pickford happened.

One of the biggest mysteries in football is that no-one ever seems to talk about how shit this fella is. I feel like I’m on an island all by myself here. Every week I see the goals Everton are conceding, and every week I’m saying “Pickford was shite there”. Yet somehow he’s still got a good reputation and isn’t viewed as the absolute calamity that he is.

Why is that? I can only assume it’s because in between the fuck ups he does make some brilliant saves and he’s got a sledgehammer left foot. He's like an Aldi version of Ederson only without the vomit inducing face and neck tattoos. The main reason he escapes scrutiny is because he plays for a team that literally nobody other their own fans gives a shit about. You can make mistake after mistake when playing for a non-entity like Everton, as it barely gets noticed, probably because they’re usually on last on MOTD when most people have gone to bed. 

He’s shit though, and City won this game because he let in a soft free-kick from Mahrez. If Everton had a half decent keeper then we’d have extended our lead at the top, but more importantly I’d have been able to lord it over all of you this week. Thanks ‘neighbours’. Thanks for nothing.

Walcott started the game but went off after a few minutes when the ball hit him on the head and he went off on a stretcher. Bit a fanny isn’t he? Big Virg took one full in the face the other week and barely flinched, but Walcott gets one on the head from Sterling (who isn’t exactly known for power) and he ends up in fucking hospital. Most pointless player in the world.

The Blues fell behind when they gave De Bruyne the freedom of Goodison to pick a cross. That only ever ends up in one outcome. Have they never seen hm play before? When he crosses it there’s virtually nothing you can do, so it’s probably not a good idea to give him ten yards of space on the right hand side to whip it across. Some things you can see even without a UEFA coaching licence.

I almost switched off at that point as I thought Everton would collapse, but then Calvert-Lewin equalised when he stole a goal from Coleman. He headed it in from on the line and Coleman wasn’t amused. He was either pissed off at him nicking the goal, or (more likely) because he thought it was going to be ruled out by VAR. Calvert-Lewin did look offside initially and Coleman didn’t celebrate the goal because of that. Instead he said something to the young striker, probably along the lines of “if that gets disallowed coz of you being a greedy twat, I’ll fucking kill you”. 

At 1-1 it could have gone either way but Pickford’s failure to deal with a routine free-kick proved decisive. Even at 1-2 the Blues had their chances but they couldn’t take any of them and Sterling finished them off late on (again, look at the state of Pickford on that though).

The two take aways i have from this are that Everton actually gave it a go against City and looked like they wanted to win. Even the crowd were up for it for once and I have no complaints on that front. I knew they’d have a go this time though, that’s why I tipped them to get something. They badly needed a result and on the balance of play they deserved one. They didn’t get it because their finishing wasn’t up to scratch and their keeper has arms like a toddler.

The second take away is that City gave up eight shots on target, which is the most anyone had against them in four years. They’re vulnerable right now and I just hope someone can take advantage of that before they rectify the issues they’re having and go on one of those mad winning runs in the second half of the season.

Sadly they’ve got Wolves this weekend, and they’ve been pure Zlatan so far this season so I’m not holding out any hope there. You never know though, I guess.

This is just a teaser, click to view the full article

Please note that PL Round Ups are only available to website subscribers. Subscriptions cost just £2 a month (you need to register first) and can be purchased here. 

• dave u pinned this topic

"Don’t ever let those fuckers walk your dog, because they just can’t hold onto a lead."

Hmmm. Shame on your dad for giving you this line, and shame on you for printing it. Hang on, it was your dad, right? You didn't come up with this did you? David? 

• Upvote 1

The main reason he escapes scrutiny is because he plays for a team that literally nobody other their own fans gives a shit about. You can make mistake after mistake when playing for a non-entity like Everton, as it barely gets noticed, probably because they’re usually on last on MOTD when most people have gone to bed

I was about to say that it was a function of being English, but I can think of an example from Liverpool's history that fits in better with your notion: David James.

I remember in James' first season watching him put in an absolutely monumental performance against Leeds. I watched it 'deferred' on RTÉ. Gary Mac gave them the lead with an absolute belter that James almost got a hand to as if dipped over him into the top corner. From then on he was stupendous, pulling off a string of top-drawer saves. Left, right, high, low, Didn't matter, he got a hand to it. Liverpool went in front courtesy of a delightful goal from Ronnie Whelan on the stroke of half-time, curling the ball past Lukic (I think it was) with barely any pace on the ball, then Jan Molby converted a penalty midway through the second half. With about five minutes to go James did it again, flinging himself low to his right to flick away a goalbound effort from Carl Shutt (I think it was). He had his head in his hands, disbelieving at such a save, while Johnny Giles gushed in the RTÉ commentary box about this new star in the Liverpool goal.

He then dropped the corner and Lee Chapman nudged in the equaliser.

As you say, mistakes like that would have been well tolerable if he were playing for a non-entity like Everton. In the long run, a time came where he got slaughtered for each one while playing for Liverpool. Which was harsh, but you can't say it was unfair because they were costly. Clangers of the same nature from Pickford though? Ooh, they might finish 9th rather than 8th because of them. 

• Upvote 2

The Everton match was interesting but somehow also preductable. They stood off and admired City's pretty football for 20 minutes (complete contrast to how Sheff U played earlier in the day) until the inevitable happened and City scored. They obviously had to come out then.....and scored within minutes. They obviously realised that the City defence was shite and it was worth having a go...and they started actually, y'know, closing down, tackling and attacking and consequently made a match of it. Hope other teams take note, but I'm not holding my breath. My barber's an older generation i.e. fairly sensible and reasonable Evertonian and he agrees Pickford is massively overrated. He also says they paid double what Richarlison and Sigurdsson are worth. Have to admit I fully agreed with him 

• Upvote 1

On 04/10/2019 at 06:20, rb14 said:

"Don’t ever let those fuckers walk your dog, because they just can’t hold onto a lead."

Hmmm. Shame on your dad for giving you this line, and shame on you for printing it. Hang on, it was your dad, right? You didn't come up with this did you? David? 

Nothing wrong with that line. The problem is I've set the bar so high that anything other than gold stands out. That was more bronze than gold, but it's still on the podium.

• Upvote 2

On 03/10/2019 at 20:39, tlw content said:

So I said last week that Everton would get something against City. Most of you thought I was mad but the truth is they almost did. At 1-1 they were giving as good as they got and Mina missed a couple of really good chances with free headers from corners. Then what happened? I’ll tell you what happened. Jordan fucking Pickford happened.

The two take aways i have from this are that Everton actually gave it a go against City and looked like they wanted to win. Even the crowd were up for it for once and I have no complaints on that front. I knew they’d have a go this time though, that’s why I tipped them to get something. They badly needed a result and on the balance of play they deserved one. They didn’t get it because their finishing wasn’t up to scratch and their keeper has arms like a toddler.

This is just a teaser, click to view the full article

Please note that PL Round Ups are only available to website subscribers. Subscriptions cost just £2 a month (you need to register first) and can be purchased here. 

Must have been disappointing for them. Someone really needs to tell Everton that it's not the winning, it's the taking part that counts.

Ours to lose now according to Pep and other informed sources. Really!? Or maybe it's Pep just trying to heap the pressure on us?

The sports pages can also run with this for their benefit. They can build up the hype that the title's ours to lose then when we draw they can ramp up the pressure and ask are Liverpool cracking?

Myself, while Im loving the results going for us, I still think the World Club Cup is going to bite us. I can also see if we maintain a big lead going into the New Year, lots of people saying we should be playing our strongest team in the FA Cup.

No, the prize is simple too big to take our eyes off it.

Im loving seeing everton and united struggling. Im not normally one to gloat but for both these bunch of twats, I'll make an exception.

Could arsenal become the dark horses this season? While they may have flattered to deceive, they have also quietly crept to within a point of city. Their next 5 league games contains 4 very winable games. A trip to Leicester may let us know whether they could usurp city as well.

On 04/10/2019 at 15:34, DaveT said:

The Everton match was interesting but somehow also preductable. They stood off and admired City's pretty football for 20 minutes (complete contrast to how Sheff U played earlier in the day) until the inevitable happened and City scored. They obviously had to come out then.....and scored within minutes. They obviously realised that the City defence was shite and it was worth having a go...and they started actually, y'know, closing down, tackling and attacking and consequently made a match of it. Hope other teams take note, but I'm not holding my breath. My barber's an older generation i.e. fairly sensible and reasonable Evertonian and he agrees Pickford is massively overrated. He also says they paid double what Richarlison and Sigurdsson are worth. Have to admit I fully agreed with him 

I think that Everton were actually dazzled by Citeh's new away kit for the first 20 minutes - it was a bit day-glo!

• dave u unpinned this topic