You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Klopp describes mixed emotions after Salzburg win.

TLW

Jurgen Klopp went through a whole range of emotions after Liverpool recorded a thrilling 4-3 win against Red Bull Salzburg in the Champions League on Wednesday evening.

Seemingly cruising after a blistering opening 35 minutes which saw goals by Sadio Mane, Andy Robertson and Mo Salah, the home team was superbly pegged back by the brave underdogs.

When Salzburg’s talismanic striker Erling Braut-Haaland came off the bench to equalise on the hour mark, it seemed like the Reds’ 23 match unbeaten home streak was in serious jeopardy.  

But great teams respond when they are challenged and Salah grabbed a double to put the European Champions back in front and from there they were able to see the game out.

The manager had to reflect on after another dramatic Anfield night which included giving his side a with a word of warning ahead of their clash with in-form Leicester on Saturday.

image.png

The Mirror reported Klopp as saying:

"How do I explain that? 

"We have a similar opponent on Saturday who are very dangerous, so we have to learn from this, and learn quickly.

“I’m sure Brendan Rodgers will think if we defend like that against Leicester on Saturday, Jamie Vardy will run around our goalkeeper and score five times.

“The first 30 minutes were some of the best football I’ve seen at Liverpool so far, we had a clear identity and did everything they didn’t like at high speed.

“We scored three and could have scored more - but they changed their system, we changed our approach a little bit, and our defending didn’t make sense.

“It wasn’t the goals as such, they played some great football. But we gave the ball away for the first goal, the third goal, and the positioning was just rubbish.

Despite the tenseness of the contest, Klopp always held a strong belief that his men would come out on top.

“They are a very good side, and it was never going to be a game where we could win 7-0 or anything like that - but after half an hour it looked that way!

“I am not often scared in football, but i couldn’t exclude the possibility of a win for them either.

“But we showed real character then, and I am the last one who will be surprised about that. 

“That is why I wasn’t overly concerned even at 3-3 because I knew we would have moments again.

At this stage of the competition, the manager said it is all about getting wins on the board.

“It is about winning home matches, and now the group is completely open, and that is what we achieved. 

“We still have a chance in the Champions’ League.”

View full article

Klopp was really animated, and at times angry. But at 3-3 he sat down for bit and then eventually stood there watching. I didn't really think we would lose, while the manner of the capitulation was reminiscent of a Liverpool of old, this Liverpool side always seems to find a way to win. 

• Upvote 2

Agree, but without expecting us to win every league/champions league game from now on, we can’t take liberties such as those we took at times last night.

Salzburg are a relatively unknown quantity, and when they changed formation a bit, we didn’t have a response until they’d scored three goals.

Wiser teams than them will be less naive and we might not get the chances to get back in front.

Better to get the defence back not conceding, and by that I mean Alisson back in goal and Matip in alongside Van Dijk. Gomez is quick but he has to be to cover mistakes up, such as leaving Haaland unmarked for their third goal last night.

This could be a good kick up the backside for us because there’s been games that we’ve been sloppy in this season, and, while I accept we’re unbeaten in the league, keeping the goals against to zero is the best way to ensure we stay ahead of City.

On 03/10/2019 at 09:01, coachpotato said:

Agree, but without expecting us to win every league/champions league game from now on, we can’t take liberties such as those we took at times last night.

Salzburg are a relatively unknown quantity, and when they changed formation a bit, we didn’t have a response until they’d scored three goals.

Wiser teams than them will be less naive and we might not get the chances to get back in front.

Better to get the defence back not conceding, and by that I mean Alisson back in goal and Matip in alongside Van Dijk. Gomez is quick but he has to be to cover mistakes up, such as leaving Haaland unmarked for their third goal last night.

This could be a good kick up the backside for us because there’s been games that we’ve been sloppy in this season, and, while I accept we’re unbeaten in the league, keeping the goals against to zero is the best way to ensure we stay ahead of City.

Not sure why Adrian is taking flak for us conceeding three goals as he was pretty powerless to prevent any. Gomez was woeful and VVD was also below par on the night. Klopp was also a bit naive himself in allowing our full backs to continue to bomb on when they were getting a foothold in the game.Let's certainly hope Matip is fit but Adrian shouldn't enter the conversation for mistakes others have made.

It also should be said that any football team associated with the Red Bull brand should never be underestimated due to their resources. We have signed two of their players,one indirectly and another directly.

Not giving Adrian flak per se, I just believe Alisson is a better goalkeeper and has a better understanding with, and gives more confidence to, the back four, plus his distribution is better overall.

Surely it’s no accident that we haven’t been keeping too many clean sheets since Alisson was injured?

Only Burnley and Sheffield Utd in the League.

Adrian has been thrown in at the deep end, but I was pleased when we signed him as I thought he was decent at West Ham, and he’s a very good second choice, but that’s it.

18 hours ago, coachpotato said:

Not giving Adrian flak per se, I just believe Alisson is a better goalkeeper and has a better understanding with, and gives more confidence to, the back four, plus his distribution is better overall.

Surely it’s no accident that we haven’t been keeping too many clean sheets since Alisson was injured?

Only Burnley and Sheffield Utd in the League.

Adrian has been thrown in at the deep end, but I was pleased when we signed him as I thought he was decent at West Ham, and he’s a very good second choice, but that’s it.

Adrian has done well and will make way when Alisson is ready,which may be as soon as today's Leicester game. I just hope we dont rush Alisson back too soon and then he gets injured again.