You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

All-New International Week International Draft Discussion Thread

Bjornebye

The Weah pick was fine for me. I had considered him myself.

I do wish I could go back and change that Turan pick to Chivu though. I was in 2 minds at the time and went with the attacking option, which in hindsight narrowed my options for later rounds.

Turan is a good player like, but I'd have preferred a better attacking option in all honesty. Chivu would have given me flexibility at the back.

Yeah Chivu was always my first-choice from that batch once Stoichkov was ruled out. £15 mil transfer from Ajax to Roma in 03 when that was pretty big money for a full back (in some markets it still is); 100+ appearances in the Inter side that won the Treble etc. I was indecisive about whether to go with Sorensen/Lahm or Neuer/Berg for the GK/RB options to complete my team; Lahm being picked took the choice out of my hands. I think Sorensen was a good keeper -- played in that very handy Villa mid-00s team -- but Henning Berg was a very solid defender too. RB for the league winning Rovers side; I think possibly the most expensive defender bought by a British club when he moved to United in 97?

1 minute ago, Alex_K said:

Yeah Chivu was always my first-choice from that batch once Stoichkov was ruled out. £15 mil transfer from Ajax to Roma in 03 when that was pretty big money for a full back (in some markets it still is); 100+ appearances in the Inter side that won the Treble etc. I was indecisive about whether to go with Sorensen/Lahm or Neuer/Berg for the GK/RB options to complete my team; Lahm being picked took the choice out of my hands. I think Sorensen was a good keeper -- played in that very handy Villa mid-00s team -- but Henning Berg was a very solid defender too. RB for the league winning Rovers side; I think possibly the most expensive defender bought by a British club when he moved to United in 97?

Chivu was up there with Van Buyten, Mexes and Kjaer as players who had all the ability to take it to the next level but just stalled. All good players but not quite top class. He doesn't get near the Inter side of the 90's. 

7 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

Chivu was up there with Van Buyten, Mexes and Kjaer as players who had all the ability to take it to the next level but just stalled. All good players but not quite top class. He doesn't get near the Inter side of the 90's. 

Hmm - not really. Different class to players like Mexes & Kjaer. Those latter two players were pretty flimsy, and never played for any side amounting to more than a Group/Last 16 level CL side. Between them they've got one individual honour, which is 1 showing for Mexes in a Ligue 1 team of the year.

90s Inter did not win one Scudetto. They were a UEFA-cup level team, albeit a very glamorous one. Chivu's 00s Inter were a CL winning team. Chivu himself was voted in a UEFA Team of the Year. He was a very strong defender.