You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

All-New International Week International Draft Discussion Thread

Bjornebye

3 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

Just means it was that season mate not when he actually made his debut.

All grasses now though are we? 

I know that. It doesn't say when in the 84/85 season he made those appearances, which is why I decided to leave him off my list. Lee has done some digging and found a Romanian site that said his debut was after 01/01/1985, so all good.

There's a couple of potential picks that have little information about their very early careers that start in the 84/85 season, with Popescu being one of them.

I will change it if its a problem?

I was basing it on 

http://www.footballtop.com/players/peter-schmeichel

Also on his Wiki page

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_Schmeichel#Brøndby

Before becoming a professional footballer, Schmeichel had to work a number of jobs to make ends meet. His first job came in the dyeing department of a textile factory, but safety concerns led to his resignation. He then spent 12 months as a cleaner at an old people's home, before taking up an office job with the World Wildlife Fund. He originally worked in the organisation's shops, but three weeks after he joined, the store manager left and Schmeichel was promoted to the position of sales manager. Soon after, Schmeichel was called upon to do his four weeks of compulsory military service. However, this coincided with Hvidovre's summer training camp in Portugal, which he was permitted to go on with the proviso that he completed his military service the following month. Nevertheless, the delicate organisational situation that arose between the WWF, the Danish defence department and Hvidovre prompted Schmeichel to give up working for the WWF. A job with his father-in-law's flooring firm came next, until he realised that his knees could not support his 15 stone (95 kg) frame for eight hours a day, and he was offered a job with the advertising firm owned by Hvidovre's chairman, Niels Erik Madsen. This was to be his last job outside football, as he was offered a contract with Brøndby the following spring.

I was looking at him for my last pick (the Scandi countries are awful at producing footballers!); saw the same bio piece you did MM but I thought Hvidvore must be equivalent to a professional outfit.

Speaking of Schmeichel, trivia: he was born on the same day and same year of one of our former players. Which one?

6 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

Sorry mate but he was Hvidorves only keeper in 84/85. Unless they went rush goalie until the new year then I'm afraid you'll have to pick again.

Trust me, he would have already gone by now. 

I know he played for them, but I was basing it on them not being professional. 

Peter Bolesław Schmeichel is a retired footballer from Denmark. He was born in 1963 and began to play football at the local club Høje-Gladsaxe. Then he joined the youth system Hero, which then became Gladsaxe-Hero, and after graduating he was promoted to the first team. Between 1984 and 1987 he stayed with Hvidovre and then gave a start to his professional playing career joining Brøndby. There he played until 1991 and throughout that period Brøndby was thrice crowned Danish champion in 1987, 1988 and 1990. In 1989 they won Danish Cup and in 1991 they won Danish Superliga. He had a prolific period with the club and the IFFHS named Schmeichel the World’s Best Goalkeeper in 1991. 

17 minutes ago, MegadriveMan said:

I know he played for them, but I was basing it on them not being professional. 

Peter Bolesław Schmeichel is a retired footballer from Denmark. He was born in 1963 and began to play football at the local club Høje-Gladsaxe. Then he joined the youth system Hero, which then became Gladsaxe-Hero, and after graduating he was promoted to the first team. Between 1984 and 1987 he stayed with Hvidovre and then gave a start to his professional playing career joining Brøndby. There he played until 1991 and throughout that period Brøndby was thrice crowned Danish champion in 1987, 1988 and 1990. In 1989 they won Danish Cup and in 1991 they won Danish Superliga. He had a prolific period with the club and the IFFHS named Schmeichel the World’s Best Goalkeeper in 1991. 

They finished 14th in the Danish division 1 in 85 when Brondby won the same league. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1985_Danish_1st_Division

Sorry mate. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1984_Danish_1st_Division

^ and were 11th in that division the year before [when he was also at the club]. I think we have to assume that all of the teams in the premier Danish division (country with bigger population than Scotland) should be classed as professional outfits, given they have multiple other divisions below that one.