You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

All-New International Week International Draft Discussion Thread

Bjornebye

Who do people have - Khan or Neuer? The draft always throws up these interesting comparisons. A couple of notable French additions aside, it's interesting to see how weak the strikers are in the French/Germany area. Two world Cup winning teams and barely a few decent CL level strikers to rub between the two of them 

5 hours ago, Alex_K said:

Who do people have - Khan or Neuer? The draft always throws up these interesting comparisons. A couple of notable French additions aside, it's interesting to see how weak the strikers are in the French/Germany area. Two world Cup winning teams and barely a few decent CL level strikers to rub between the two of them 

Mbappe and Henry are the two stand-out world class striking options. Since Klinsmann, Germany have only had Klose who was any good upfront.

1 hour ago, viRdjil said:

Mbappe and Henry are the two stand-out world class striking options. Since Klinsmann, Germany have only had Klose who was any good upfront.

Actually no, Anelka and Trezeguet were both excellent strikers at their best.

@viRdjil over to you mate

I've picked my last player as all you fuckers already had a Spanish or Portuguese player 

1781297_Japan.jpg

Keeper - I was running short on players from Cze/Cro/Pol and seeing as he has played at the top level and still does, he goes in. 

Full backs - Wanted attacking full-backs. In Robbo I've got the current best in the word and Petrescu I was made up with because the pool of talent wasn't great in Rom/Bul/Gre/Tur. He is right near the top. 

CB's - Again with Agger, Obviously a very good CB but I needed him in as Den/Swe/Nor was always going to run out quick. Only realised last minute that Nesta had gone but Chellini is more that suitable as a replacement. Two solid CB's. 

CM's - Vidal , again Chi/Col/Uru was running short but he is defo one of the top picks available. Really wanted us to get him a few years ago from Juventus. Probably one of the best CM's about then. Guardiola as DM keeping things tight and not giving anyone a sniff. Beckham easily the most under-rated player on these drafts. Imagine him pinging up to Henry and Drogba. 

Forwards - Id be surprised to see a better attack in the draft. Henry and Drogba two of the greatest the premier league has ever seen (Henry being the best) and Rivaldo behind working his magic. 

Let me look back into it

George Weah should not be available 

Wiki says he was in youth football till 85 but the teams was called a youth side playing in the lower divisions but still playing professional football. Very much like Schmeichel supposed non pro pre Brondby

Pretty much no African league had full time pros at that era, all players pretty much played as semi pros in the top divisions so had made their debuts before 85

George Weah

PRESIDENT OF LIBERIA
LAST UPDATED:  See Article History
Alternative Title: George Oppong Weah
 ARTICLE CONTENTS

George Weah, in full George Oppong Weah, (born October 1, 1966, Monrovia, Liberia), Liberian football (soccer) player and politician. He was named African, European, and World Player of the Year in 1995—an unprecedented achievement. His talents on the field were equaled by his activism on behalf of his homeland, where he worked to bring an end to a long civil war and then became active in politics. Weah was elected to a Senate seat in 2014. He has served as president of Liberia since January 2018.

Career

Weah learned his football on the dusty streets of Monrovia before playing for Invincible Eleven, Mighty Barolle, Bongrange Bonguine, and Young Survivors of Claretown. After leading Young Survivors, a team without a coach, into the first division, Weah signed a three-year semiprofessional contract with top Cameroonian club Tonnerre of Yaoundé, which won its league in his first season (1987) with the team.

Leave it down to Stig how it wants to rule it. But it wasn't Youth football pre 85, it was top level Liberian football just on semi pro contracts 

13 minutes ago, Lee909 said:

Let me look back into it

George Weah should not be available 

Wiki says he was in youth football till 85 but the teams was called a youth side playing in the lower divisions but still playing professional football. Very much like Schmeichel supposed non pro pre Brondby

Yeah you can't allow Weah if you don't allow Schmeichel.

But his focus on football soon became complete. From 1981 to 1984 Weah played with Young Survivors. They were a fourth division side when he joined them, a second division side when he left.

Parlee Dixon, who coached him in his first year with the club, told me it was immediately clear "he was a genius".

In his first game for the side he scored two spectacular goals, one hit from such a tight angle that it went in-off having struck both posts. Weah clearly knew his own ability. "He was always talking about the national team", Dixon said. "He was totally confident he would play for them."

Weah was soon picked up by Bong Range United. He came on as a substitute and was, former teammates say, so psyched by his exclusion from the game that he seemed to score by sheer will.

He was picked up by Mighty Barolle and then moved on to their arch-rivals Invincible Eleven where he was soon captain and top scorer. He was spotted by a scout for Tonerre de Yaounde of Cameroon and after a season there Claude Leroy, the Cameroon national coach, mentioned the young star to Arsene Wenger, then at Monaco.