You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Joker - Movie

Bjornebye

On 09/10/2019 at 06:23, Mook said:

It's always be Jack for me.

I like Jack Nicholson’s joker (watched the film at the Odeon on London Road), but for me, Cesar Romero will always be the Joker, as he was the one I watched on telly as a little kid. Same goes for the penguin and Burgess Meredith. That said, Michelle Pfeiffer is easily the best Catwoman.

• Upvote 1

Saw it today and we thought it was excellent. The attempts to whip up controversy around this film make me glad that these people weren't around in the 1970s. Particularly witless is the criticism over the use of Rock and Roll Part 2. Anyone who doesn't like that track is a cunt.

The performances are very good, especially Phoenix, and I also liked how Thomas Wayne wasn't the goody two shoes he's usually made out to be.

The film wears its influences on its sleeve, and the highest compliment I can pay it is that it doesn't look out of place alongside King of Comedy and Taxi Driver.

• Upvote 4

6 hours ago, Bjornebye said:

I have-not seen this one but Ledger was a brilliant Joker. 

He will always be remembered for that. 

The insufferable Ledger fans some of whom wanted the Joker character retired, that followed his death have all but ruined it for me.

God they're utter cunts.

4 hours ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

Saw it today and we thought it was excellent. The attempts to whip up controversy around this film make me glad that these people weren't around in the 1970s. Particularly witless is the criticism over the use of Rock and Roll Part 2. Anyone who doesn't like that track is a cunt.

The performances are very good, especially Phoenix, and I also liked how Thomas Wayne wasn't the goody two shoes he's usually made out to be.

The film wears its influences on its sleeve, and the highest compliment I can pay it is that it doesn't look out of place alongside King of Comedy and Taxi Driver.

Great post.

Why are the left in America so terminally fucking stupid?

A film that throws a light on society's attitude towards mental health, the systems inability to deal with it and what could happen in a society when you have extreme wealth disparity and the powerful's indifference to it and outright contempt of the poor and working class.

This should be a wet dream for the left, but they've somehow missed the fucking glaringly obvious point.

But incels guns, just fuck off you utter twats.

• Upvote 3

30 minutes ago, Dicko said:

Why are the left in America so terminally fucking stupid?

A film that throws a light on society's attitude towards mental health, the systems inability to deal with it and what could happen in a society when you have extreme wealth disparity and the powerful's indifference to it and outright contempt of the poor and working class.

This should be a wet dream for the left, but they've somehow missed the fucking glaringly obvious point.

But incels guns, just fuck off you utter twats.

Where has there been a mass protest by the Left against the movie? I've read most of the negative reviews and they simply think that the film isn't very good and give valid, non-incel related reasons for it. 

I've never said mass protests, don't know where you got that from but the reviews that set the agenda all came out after Tiff and they did give incel related reasons for it.

Fuck even the FBI and the military got in on the act. How about some cinemas in the USA banning single white males from any screening.

The fact is most of the negative reviews were from snobs who didn't like the fact that Todd Phillips was directing the film.

Here is a sample of a negative review from after TIFF.

“This guy gets bullied and humiliated and we’re supposed to feel like that sucks? Let me tell you what sucks: the Holocaust.”

Here's another:

It’s all very expensive, and utterly hollow.

Phoenix keeps it going for a little while, and there’s a point where the movie looks like it might address the appeal of The Joker as an incel icon; he takes what he wants, laughs at authority and has hundreds of acolytes hanging on his every word, of course they’d identify with him.

But Phillips is happy to just float it briefly, the same way he sorta-kinda suggests an endless class war in Gotham without ever really delving into the reasons the system is failing. He wants to make an elevated comic-book movie, and Warner Bros. clearly wants that too, but that’s not what they got.

I guess they really love interpretive dance in Venice

Check out more TIFF coverage and reviews here.

Acolytes hanging on his every word? 

That literally did not happen in the film, no one knew who he was.

The narrative remains constant it's either a wet dream for incels or not deserving of the controversy about incels.

The stupid cunts have ended up doing the job of WB and promoted the film themselves.