You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Joker - Movie

Bjornebye

Finally got around to watching this. I thought it was very well done, with stellar performances by Phoenix and Conroy. As for De Niro - it was fitting having him in the film (a probable nod to ‘Taxi Driver’) 

For those that haven’t seen it, don’t read any further.

I also thought I recognised the long steps that Joker walked up and down (and later danced on) as being used in ‘The Exorcist’ and I thought that was fitting too, if it was said steps. Worked for me.

When he busts into the neighbour’s apartment and forces himself on her, I was taken aback by her acceptance of him- found it mad to be honest. She goes with him to watch him perform his standup, and I’m thinking ‘what about her kid? Where’s her kid?’ 
She’s at the hospital with him too giving loving support. All the time I’m thinking ‘no fucking way is this plausible’ but of course, as we find out, its all his imagination, and didn’t happen at all.

Drew me in, and pulled the carpet from right underneath me.

The final scenes of the riot and participants willing him up off the hood of the cop car even though he’s badly hurt, completed his transformation as the Villain we all know.

Excellent film. 8/10

Highly entertaining

• Upvote 4

This is going to sound really deep and gay. Feel free to neg me etc. 

If you're ok mentally, watching this film is you just watching a film and judging it on usual film merit. Watch it when your head isn't right and you see it for the absolute masterpiece that it is. Part of me sometimes thinks everything is in his imagination and he's reacting in his mind to what he wants to show the world but is still stuck in a rut. 

The other part thinks he's the Joker and where is BATMAN ffs shithouse. 

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

This is going to sound really deep and gay. Feel free to neg me etc. 

If you're ok mentally, watching this film is you just watching a film and judging it on usual film merit. Watch it when your head isn't right and you see it for the absolute masterpiece that it is. Part of me sometimes thinks everything is in his imagination and he's reacting in his mind to what he wants to show the world but is still stuck in a rut. 

The other part thinks he's the Joker and where is BATMAN ffs shithouse. 

I agree. It's a great portrayal of mental illness.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Elite said:

I agree. It's a great portrayal of mental illness.

I think someone posted the other day that peoples recollection of Heath Ledgers Joker is more acclaim because he died. I disagree. I think Heath Ledger was absolutely superb as the Joker. Same as Nicholson (although it's pretty much standard Nicholson - which isn't a bad thing). This though is on another level. First time I've seen The Joker as an actual human being and understood. It's just a shame that Batman is my favourite super-hero or I'd be a Joker fanboy. or am I.... is that the other side of me? Am I Batman or Joker depending on my mood? Are Batman and Joker one and the same? Does The Joker have beans on his fry up?

giphy.gif

7 hours ago, Bjornebye said:

I think someone posted the other day that peoples recollection of Heath Ledgers Joker is more acclaim because he died. I disagree. I think Heath Ledger was absolutely superb as the Joker. Same as Nicholson (although it's pretty much standard Nicholson - which isn't a bad thing). This though is on another level. First time I've seen The Joker as an actual human being and understood. It's just a shame that Batman is my favourite super-hero or I'd be a Joker fanboy. or am I.... is that the other side of me? Am I Batman or Joker depending on my mood? Are Batman and Joker one and the same? Does The Joker have beans on his fry up?

giphy.gif

The script is written in such a way as to allude to them being half brothers, of course. Yes, Joker get’s a look at the hospital records that ‘prove’ (?) he was adopted, and that his Mum fed him bullshit according to her own delusion, but the seed is sown, and in my mind it could have been equally fitting that they had the same father.

As Joseph Campbell stated in ‘The Power Of Myth’ “There’s a devil on our left shoulder and an angel on our right”

I’m definitely not normal, btw.

19 hours ago, Red Shift said:

Correct. I realised my error later on

The steps also featured in Rocky. The Exorcist featured the robot head technology used for Ivan Drago. 

This may or may not be true and if it is true, it’s entirely coincidental.

11 hours ago, TD_LFC said:

I don't think Nicholson's joker is that great. 

I'm pretty sure Nicholson would be the first to admit it was just great money for a stint of pantomime. It was an odd period, remember De Niro in The Untouchables in 87, or Keaton in Beetlejuice in 88, obv Batman was 89, and then Pacino in Dick Tracy in 90.   

I guess CGI killed it all in 91 with Terminator 2.

6 minutes ago, Mook said:

I don't think he would, Nicholson was proud of his Joker & rightly so.

Absolutely right and that wasn’t even close to his best role. He made it look easy which is probably why it looks pantomime.

On 27/12/2022 at 05:47, Red Shift said:

The final scenes of the riot and participants willing him up off the hood of the cop car even though he’s badly hurt, completed his transformation as the Villain we all know.

The scene after that wasn't needed in the slightest and was only done for fan service.