You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Joker - Movie

Bjornebye

1 minute ago, Bjornebye said:

Still not seen it. I'm waiting till my head is in a better place. Phoenix is a brilliant actor. Walk The Line is one of my favourite films and its mainly down to him. 

It's worth watching just for his performance alone. The overall movie itself is pretty good, not the best ever or anything but you just can't take your eyes off Phoenix. He makes this movie what it is.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Baltar said:

It's worth watching just for his performance alone. The overall movie itself is pretty good, not the best ever or anything but you just can't take your eyes off Phoenix. He makes this movie what it is.

Im too impressionable at the minute. I started talking to my bird in Spanish earlier. If I watch that I'll end up nuking West derby. 

3 hours ago, Bjornebye said:

Still not seen it. I'm waiting till my head is in a better place. Phoenix is a brilliant actor. Walk The Line is one of my favourite films and its mainly down to him. 

He's superb in Walk The Line, and I was amazed to find out that he sang all the vocals too.

• 2 weeks later...

Finally managed to find a decent copy, so hopefully so should everyone else. 

Dark and slow. Enjoyed it but need to watch it again. 

I love DC and all that, so liked the origin side of it (even though we never truly know the Jokers origin), but do see it as a missed opportunity as it seemed a bit wandering.

Had to watch this after all the hype and I'll admit it was ok, just ok. Yes he's a great actor but seriously, the film isn't good at all. I kept waiting for it to get better and it just didn't. Maybe it wasn't made for me. 

I watched 'You were never really there" before The Joker, with Phoenix in the starring role, a film that is dark but also feels like I missed parts of it. Both films very similar in some ways.

On 28/10/2019 at 11:27, Bjornebye said:

Im too impressionable at the minute. I started talking to my bird in Spanish earlier. If I watch that I'll end up nuking West derby. 

That's worth the price of a cinema ticket.

1 hour ago, Mook said:

You Were Never Really There is up there with Only God Forgives for being the biggest load of arty farty wank in years.

Yes, it seems like it was made to win some kind of award while offering very little in the way of entertainment or sense. Maybe that affected my opinion of The Joker, which of course while being a better film than that, wasn't much better. 

• Upvote 1

Finally got round to watching it. I enjoyed it and as a character study of one man’s descent into mental illness, it really works. As a movie about the Joker, I think it perhaps lacks a little bit of something. There are hints of the Joker during the platform scene where the cops are taking a beating , and the appearance on Murray’s TV show, but never quite enough to see a fully formed Joker. And maybe that was deliberate.

What I like about the film is that because he’s an unreliable narrator, you can read it in different ways. Off the top of my head:

1. It’s a Joker origin story in which they’ve flipped the who-created-who with Batman;

2. It’s the Joker in incarceration, and knowing Batman’s identity, who is twisting his own backstory (making himself Gotham’s hero almost and Batman eventually the strong arm of the wealthy) that he creates Batman, not the other way around, and who kills or assaults the psychiatrist he’s talking to at the end (hence the bloody footprints as he tries to escape);

3. He’s plain old Arthur Fleck who is incarcerated, and who has read some Batman comics, identified with the Joker, and is using some elements of his real life to build a story in which he becomes the Joker. 

The reason I think it works better as a simple study of descent into mental illness is that you could take the comic book elements out of it and it would still resonate with societal problems we are experiencing now - mental illness, wealth distribution, isolation and loneliness, and the way we treat and interact with others. For me they were the powerful elements of the film. 

Goes without saying that Phoenix was superb.

• 1 month later...

Joker 

That has to be the biggest Oscar Best Actor performance shoe-in of all time. (He probably won't win it because the Academy have attendance to be cunts when it comes to the obvious). That said, it wasn't the usual far-fetched super-hero movie and everything in it was purely realistic plus it focused on mental health so actually they probably will. 

I was just trying to work-out if there was a scene without him in throughout the film and there wasn't. Just superb. It was always going to take a lot to better Ledger or Nicholsons Joker and even though eh was only 'in-character' for a small part I think he managed it. 

Not sure about the Taxi Driver comments in other peoples reviews. I didn't get that at all. Far more a combination of Buffalo Bill and towards the end Patrick Bateman than Travis Bickle. But obviously better, scarier and far more believable. 

I'm trying to think of a better performance in a movie by any actor and I can't think of one right now. 

• Upvote 1