You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Joker - Movie

Bjornebye

On 11/10/2019 at 19:27, Strontium Dog™ said:

Saw it today and we thought it was excellent. The attempts to whip up controversy around this film make me glad that these people weren't around in the 1970s. Particularly witless is the criticism over the use of Rock and Roll Part 2. Anyone who doesn't like that track is a cunt.

The performances are very good, especially Phoenix, and I also liked how Thomas Wayne wasn't the goody two shoes he's usually made out to be.

The film wears its influences on its sleeve, and the highest compliment I can pay it is that it doesn't look out of place alongside King of Comedy and Taxi Driver.

It's a class song and I didn't even know it was glitter until people started kicking off about it. 

On 11/10/2019 at 13:28, Bjornebye said:

I can see them releasing a really dark riddler movie next. 

Zsasz (who I didn't know existed until the Arkham game) would be good.  Zodiac-esque origin story with Harvey Bullock and Gordon trying to find a serial killer.

Haven't seen this one, would have been tempted, but heard it was pretty close to the Lynne Ramsay film Phoenix did so I'll make do with that and wait to see this later.  Not bothered about the twitter/incel nonsense, more the director being an absolute weapon putting me off spending a tenner on it.

Twas a good effort.  I thought that De Niro was piss poor in it.

The only problem is that I have kinda seen all of this before. A great performance by Phoenix.

Whenever, I saw the Joker I saw a simpleton, rousing hatred and violence etc amongst the many disaffected without being the slightest bit interested in them and only obsessed with himself. I kinda saw Donal trump

Just got back from a matinee screening of this. 

Firstly, I went to the Other Everyman to see it. A tiny bit pricy, but a good set up with armchairs and sofas. There was me and 3 others at the screening, so it was a pick your own seat scenario. Nice and quiet too. 

Now for the film. It's dark. And quite depressing in parts. Without straying into spoilers. There's a few bits you can work out before the "reveal" in the film. But, they add clarity to the ending scenes, for me. 

As for all the incel stuff, not for me. The character has mental health problems. He's a fantasist. He fantasises about pretty much everything. His private life, his family life, his belief in his charm and funny personality, his ambitions of being a stand up comic. The transformation from Arthur Fleck is the long formed end result of him building up everything and then lashing out against it. It's not just because the girl hasn't noticed him. 

I wasn't too keen on the bits involving a young Bruce Wayne. They seemed a bit unnecessary to the overall plot of this particular film. 

One last point. I though Heath Ledger was superb as The Joker. But, I think Joaquin Phoenix's portrayal might actually be better. I thought he was superb in it. 

It takes a lot for a film to get full marks from me. And, this won't. But, it's very good. A solid 4.2/5.

Just got out of cinema 

Thought it was brilliant 

Lovi h listening to some teenagers and others whinging on way out. Think they expected a comic book movie. Moaning nothing happened, "he just shoots someone". 

Could easy have come out in the 70s, thought it was a good, different take to the normal

• Upvote 3

On 11/10/2019 at 19:27, Strontium Dog™ said:

Saw it today and we thought it was excellent. The attempts to whip up controversy around this film make me glad that these people weren't around in the 1970s. Particularly witless is the criticism over the use of Rock and Roll Part 2. Anyone who doesn't like that track is a cunt.

The performances are very good, especially Phoenix, and I also liked how Thomas Wayne wasn't the goody two shoes he's usually made out to be.

The film wears its influences on its sleeve, and the highest compliment I can pay it is that it doesn't look out of place alongside King of Comedy and Taxi Driver.

It also features a clip of Charlie Chaplin - another who left his girlfriend outside with pop & crisps when he went to the pub.

On 13/10/2019 at 21:22, littletedwest said:

I remember reading ( maybe false) that glitter made royalties from oasis sampling " hello hello I'm back again "

Made a fortune off it, he's down as co-writer, so he gets the original payment for infringement, back dated royalties, future royalties and PRS/advertisement use - which I'm assuming won't be that high given the 'incidents'. All in a few million as it sold shitloads.

Gallager/Glitter is not quite Lennon/McCartney is it?

EDIT: Thought the film was terrible and lack any real direction, pacing or clear linking, signposting or character development (including Joker). Whoever did the loactaion and cinematography gets a thumbs up, but the rest were wayard and disjointed. A massive missed oppertunity as Phoenix was great and in another mixing bowl the rest would have come together to be equal to the sum of it's parts.

On 18/10/2019 at 20:07, Lee909 said:

Yeah that's in the Batman movie. 

Rob fucking Pattinson as Batman. 

DC can't not trip over their own shoe laces with every movie

You should check his post Twilight stuff out, he’s seriously one of the best young actors around at the moment. If DC leave them to it, it could be something really special.

Went and saw Joker last night and do not get the hype at all, it’s a mediocre character study with a lick of DC paint. Phoenix is awesome, but he’s not the joker. He’s just a mentalist who happens to be a clown.

Its suggested above, but it really was a missed opportunity in my opinion. So many good ideas all executed pretty poorly. The delusional aspects that take up most of the film being particularly poor. The mental health aspects were basic at best. Will give it another watch on Netflix or something when the hype has died down, but pretty disappointed overall.

• Upvote 2

33 minutes ago, Baltar said:

Watched it last night. Phoenix's performance is on another level, just incredible. Very dark and not like any comic book movie I've ever seen. Very good movie, makes a change from the usual superhero bollocks that we get all the time from Marvel and DC.

Still not seen it. I'm waiting till my head is in a better place. Phoenix is a brilliant actor. Walk The Line is one of my favourite films and its mainly down to him. 

• Upvote 1