You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Joker - Movie

Bjornebye

Watched it last night and just like Arthur badly mimicking the stand up comics he goes to watch this is just a copy of 70s Scorcese done not as well. In fact the more you think on it the more you realise that the writers and director have just wholesale lifted scenes from other movies, and you'll spend most your time thinking which movies they were originally from.

I found it a chore to watch because it's relentlessly bleak and central performance aside this wasn't as good as I was hoping because I really rate the darker tone of the recent DC TV shows. 

2 hours ago, KMD7 said:

I thought it was really good and Joaquin Phoenix is incredible in it.

I thought he was too. The descent into insanity was a slow burner ( i guess it had to be ) but he did it brilliantly.

That said I'm not as overboard on the film as many . Maybe I wasn't in the right frame of mind to get dragged into a comic book fantasy however well done ,it just didn't grab my undivided attention. I think the last film that did was The Revenant ( on the big screen ). I found that visceral in the extreme.  

1 hour ago, Pistonbroke said:

Haven't they used a Gary Glitter song in this film meaning he'll get royalties? 

Yes, Rock & Roll Part 2.

It's a fucking great song in their defence. It would be interesting to find out what happens with regards the royalties.

• Upvote 1

Guest Pistonbroke
28 minutes ago, Elite said:

Dickheads. We all know what he'll do with the money, sick cunt.

Edit: He's in jail, hopefully until death.

2 minutes ago, Mook said:

Yes, Rock & Roll Part 2.

It's a fucking great song in their defence. It would be interesting to find out what happens with regards the royalties.

I was reading an article a while back where the BBC were paying royalties to Glitter for the exact same song they used in a documentary. It was around the time that paedo cunt from the Lostprophets was jailed. 

I believe regardless of serving time if any music of theirs is played they receive royalties. 

4 minutes ago, Pistonbroke said:

I was reading an article a while back where the BBC were paying royalties to Glitter for the exact same song they used in a documentary. It was around the time that paedo cunt from the Lostprophets was jailed. 

I believe regardless of serving time if any music of theirs is played they receive royalties. 

Which is the way it should be really, I mean where do you draw the line, shop lifting?

If he's away for life then there's not an awful lot he can do with it other than give it to his relatives/estate.

Just now, Mook said:

Which is the way it should be really, I mean where do you draw the line, shop lifting?

If he's away for life then there's not an awful lot he can do with it other than give it to his relatives/estate.

Hopefully they monitor his bank accounts and he's not giving it to other nonces.

9 minutes ago, Pistonbroke said:

Disgrace that. In cases like that it should go to his victims. Thats just my opinion but I can see the argument that he has still earned it... 

I read or heard a while back that the Lost Prophets nonce gets the majority of band royalties (Think he wrote a lot of their bigger songs) still to this day while his band mates are fucked. Apparently they sell big still in America and Japan (even more so since he got knocked which is just weird). Might be bollocks but wouldn't surprise me. 

• Upvote 1

Guest Pistonbroke

I have nothing against companies having to pay royalties for music they are using, as it is a legal thing. I just think they shouldn't use their music from a morale point of view, regardless of whether it is a good song or not. 

1 minute ago, Pistonbroke said:

I have nothing against companies having to pay royalties for music they are using, as it is a legal thing. I just think they shouldn't use their music from a morale point of view, regardless of whether it is a good song or not. 

Yeah its close to the bone using Gary Glitter in any film, even The Joker. Maybe thats part of the shock value. To be honest I'd only recognise about two of his songs. 

1 hour ago, Bjornebye said:

Disgrace that. In cases like that it should go to his victims. Thats just my opinion but I can see the argument that he has still earned it... 

I read or heard a while back that the Lost Prophets nonce gets the majority of band royalties (Think he wrote a lot of their bigger songs) still to this day while his band mates are fucked. Apparently they sell big still in America and Japan (even more so since he got knocked which is just weird). Might be bollocks but wouldn't surprise me. 

Musician head on here but if someone writes a song, they should get the royalties whether they've recieved a parking ticket or whether they're a murderer. His crimes are irrelevant when the royalties are due.

Paying his royalties to his victims would set an absolutely mental precedent that would be beset with logistical issues & lawyers filling their boots all over the shop.

The question of whether the film makers should've used the song is a better one. It's not a decision I would've gone with personally although I can see the twisted logic in it & it suited the scene perfectly.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Mook said:

Yes, Rock & Roll Part 2.

It was brilliantly used in that scene near the end of the film. Worked perfectly

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Mook said:

Musician head on here but if someone writes a song, they should get the royalties whether they've recieved a parking ticket or whether they're a murderer. His crimes are irrelevant when the royalties are due.

Paying his royalties to his victims would set an absolutely mental precedent that would be beset with logistical issues & lawyers filling their boots all over the shop.

The question of whether the film makers should've used the song is a better one. It's not a decision I would've gone with personally although I can see the twisted logic in it & it suited the scene perfectly.

Agreed. I think a lot of US states have stipulations that you can't profit from committing a crime, so David Berkowitz for example is unable to make any royalties from his memoirs but I'm not sure how the profits are distributed. Royalties from work unrelated to committing a crime should still be paid to them though in my view.

Of course if a judge wanted to issue a financial reward from the personal fortune of someone like Glitter to be paid to his victim(s) then I wouldn't have a problem with that.

Also, it is a fucking tune to be fair.

• Upvote 1

No conflict here or benefiting from a crime. GG should get his money regardless of how uneasy it makes you feel.

The act of being imprisoned etc does not remove all civil rights.

PS yep it is a great song. 

Do anyone of you have the same problem listening to Hello by Oasis