You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Salzburg (H) 2/10/19 - Champions of Europe League

Bjornebye

Just now, ZonkoVille77 said:

Sublime to ridiculous.

We've gotten away with it so far but there's danger up ahead. Few players out of form and completely goosed. Leicester will be a nightmare and I wouldn't be surprised if we lose that game. Not all doom and gloom but something isn't right.

3 points and fuck everyone and fuck everything.

Mabye a bit more of Milner and Keita is the answer. The Hendo-Gini-Fabinho "strongest line up" definitely lacks a few things. 

3 minutes ago, an tha said:

What the fuck was that all about!

Take the win of course and we did fight back after the blow of throwing away a 3 goal lead - so that shows balls, but bloody hell we were too complacent at 3-0, sloppy and not at it properly.

Hopefully that is a wake up call - been an age since we looked that flakey so as a one off and still a winning one then ok no big deal....but it really should act as a reminder about not slacking, keeping the attitude and application right and doing the basics properly.

giphy-2.gif

• Upvote 1

Guest Pistonbroke

Thank fuck that is over. 

Poor as fuck for the first 15 mins in that second half. We could have made it 4-1 with mane and 5 minutes later it was 3-3 as we fell apart all over the pitch. Probably VVD worst game for us and naive of our full backs to keep bombing forward when nobody was back to cover and they were keeping players up field.  It's why he brought Milner on as he is a very clever player, as soon as Robbo went past him he just dropped deeper to cover left back, mane on the right then allowed one of him or Salah to do the same. Gomez did a few good things in the second half but his positional play is real poor. He either stands off meaning he has to win the ball or we are open, or he just marks space meaning a player has a run into the box. It was a poor defensive performance all round though and Mane, Salah and Bobby were forever losing the ball, they made up for it in an attacking sense goes, thank fuck. Their third goal was a monster fuck up, poor from Robbo and Virg on the left but utter laziness and ball watching from Gomez and TAA. Thankfully we had the coolness of bobby and Mo to get the winner.

3 points though, learn a lesson and move on. We need to play a more measured game when 3-0 up at home, no need to try and score six, especially when the opponent aren't exactly clinging on. Hats off to Salzburg, need to give them a lot of credit. I can't see the away game being much different, we need to try and blitz them and then box clever. Reckon Napoli could come a cropper against Salzburg. 

Still can't for the life of me fathom why we went looking for more goals at 3nil, even though they had a few very decent opportunities that they messed up throughout the first half hour! We needed to just calm the fuck down and get to half time and take stock.

That performance reminded me of Seville away in 17. We're gone backwards in being tight and controlled lately. Far too attacking at the wrong times. They love to counter so what do we do? Play high and into their hands! Terrible game management until James came on.

Let's hope it's one of them but we'll need to be an awful lot better for Saturday. We can't play that high and be as sloppy. 

Weird,weird game but we won.

Lots to ponder. I don't want us turning back into our basketball selves. It's not good for my heart!

The squad needs to be used more. Ox, keita, Shaqiri, Gomez all need minutes in their legs. Jurgen was banging on about how we need the squad in this packed schedule and he's played practically the same side every game apart from MK Dons. Madness. The players are going to be blowing out of their arses by late december!

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Butch said:

giphy-2.gif

So you want to be en-entertained?
Please look away, don't look away
We're not here cause we want to entertain
You can go away, don't go away
Reality is the new fiction, they say
True is truer these days, truth is man-made
If you're here cause you want to be entertained
You can go away, please go away!

4 minutes ago, BeefStroganoff said:

The squad needs to be used more. Ox, keita, Shaqiri, Gomez all need minutes in their legs. Jurgen was banging on about how we need the squad in this packed schedule and he's played practically the same side every game apart from MK Dons. Madness. The players are going to be blowing out of their arses by late december!

Bang fucking on. I've been saying this for weeks.

Even tonight a brilliant opportunity to rest a few and goes with the same XI.

3 minutes ago, BeefStroganoff said:

The squad needs to be used more. Ox, keita, Shaqiri, Gomez all need minutes in their legs.

Gomez needs to be used less, in my opinion. I don't trust him at all. All of the physical attributes. No footballing brain.

Henderson was our sloppiest player tonight, though.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, johnsusername said:

I reckon Salzburg will give Napoli a hiding. And I'm not looking forward to going to their place. They're a proper all out attacking balls to the wall team. Credit due. 

We just need to sit off and play them at their own game! We played into their hands tonight by letting them hit us on the break. We'd A shocking shape till Milner came on. Van dijk should have told trent and robbo to just fucking sit for ten and just calm the fuck down.

They're very slow at the back and we'll just need to counter them. Hopefully we'll have qualified by then.

Guest Pistonbroke

One other thing. We're that used to teams parking the bus or the better teams playing less advanced that we struggle against teams with pace up front, especially when a few of them are technically very good. Salzburg had that in abundance tonight and even at 3-0 down they didn't change their tactics that much. Mane make it 4-1 and who knows how it pans out, but he didn't and they fought their way back into it and caused us to make the errors. Not sure why the fuck Gomez and TAA let them take that free kick that quickly which led to their second, we fell to bits after that for a 15 minute period. 

3 minutes ago, Josef Svejk said:

Gomez needs to be used less, in my opinion. I don't trust him at all. All of the physical attributes. No footballing brain.

Henderson was our sloppiest player tonight, though.

Nah mate Gomez is class. He's just rusty. Everyone forgets the imperious form he was showing before his injury.

If Klopp doesn't formulate some sort of squad rotation plan, we will hit a wall when we go to the Fifa Club Championship.

• Upvote 1

Our defence has looked calamitous in large patches for quite a few games now. We were lucky against Chelsea and Sheffield. For some reason we don't quite have the same composure and concentration as last season. We can't control the tempo of a game like we could. But..... we've won all our league games.

10 minutes ago, johnsusername said:

I reckon Salzburg will give Napoli a hiding. And I'm not looking forward to going to their place. They're a proper all out attacking balls to the wall team. Credit due. 

Too right.

That Minamino, first I've ever heard of him, I don't know if he plays like that every week but if he does we need to spend all the money to get him in. Looked for all the world like some sort of unholy combination of Iniesta and De Bruyne out there. Ran EVERYTHING for that second half.

• Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, viRdjil said:

I think 4-4-2 could be our undoing. Too often it became 3 against 4 in favour of Salzburg. My guess is that we’ll play 4-2-3-1 again soon to mix it up, maybe when Shaq is fit.

I think that's a good assessment. I've noticed we struggle against 4-4-2 as well.