You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Featured: That was the week that was (Sep 21-27 2019)

tlw content

theweekthatwas.jpg

Saturday Sep 22:

So six years ago we paid City a million quid after it turned out that one of the scouts we took from them still had all their log ins and was able to keep an eye on who they were scouting. How do we know this? Because City have decided to leak this info now, six years after the fact. Officially their stance was ’no comment’ but they defy fed that story to the Times.

These cunts are so transparent. Last week there was a Premier League meeting with all the clubs. Obviously I don’t know what was said, but it’s a safe bet that we’ve brought up the whole FFP thing and this is how they’ve reacted. The funny thing is though nobody gives a fuck about it. And why should they? It’s not like we hacked into their system. The daft bastards didn’t follow the first law of business. When an employee leaves for a rival, you make sure you change all your passwords and disable all their log in privileges.

We don’t know exactly what went on here but if it had been a hacking then they wouldn’t have just accepted a settlement, because that’s really serious and it’s the kind of thing you get heavily sanctioned for. This just looks like City being careless.

Let be fair, if you’re a scout that has moved to a new job and you log in to your account and you still have access to everything from your old club, of course you’re going to have a look. It would be weird not to. Here’s the thing though, when you look at the players we actually signed that year then we either took no notice of who they wanted, or they should be fucking paying us for the shite they inadvertently recommended.

Sunday Sep 23:

Chelsea 1 L 2  Get the fuck in. Massive three points. Don’t care if we deserved it or not and anyone who says Chelsea deserved a point will get no argument from me. It doesn’t matter, we won. We got the three points and we’ve safely negotiated one of the most difficult games we’ll have to face. 

In terms of talent, Chelsea re probably the third best team in the country. They might not finish third, but its between them and Spurs as to who has the third best talent level. They showed it today. We had problems with them but I suspect a big part of that was because we were leggy after the Napoli game. We were flagging in the last 20 minutes and couldn’t keep the ball. That’s not really us, so that’s why I put it down to fatigue.

The added bonus of this win is that as well as picking up three points, we’ve kicked Man City in the bollocks. They won 8-0 yesterday and will have been thinking there was a good chance this would be the weekend when they started to make inroads on us. When we had the lead last year, we had a few performances like this that ended up being draws and it cost us. They’ll have been watching this with a massive sense of frustration.

In other news, Bernardo Silva is in trouble after a ridiculous tweet he made taking the piss out of his mate Mendy. I can’t believe he did that you know. I mean, in this day and age how daft do you have to be to think you can do that and not cause a massive shitstorm? Spare me all the “Bernardo is a racist” shite though. He’s not racist, he’s just fucking stupid. Incredibly, inexplicably stupid.

He’s not “a racist” though and it’s just fucking lazy to throw that at him. How many racists have a black best mate? Mendy seemingly didn’t have a problem with the tweet and there was obviously no malice intended. That isn’t the point though. It was a joke between friends, so text him the fucking picture if you must, don’t put it on social media for the entire world to see. 

As soon as you put it out there for millions of people, it no longer matters if Mendy is offended or not, as there’ll be countless other people who will be. I also wonder what Sterling thought? More to the point, I wonder what he’d think if it was some random fan sending the image and not his team-mate.

I actually feel sorry for Bernardo here but ignorance isn’t really a defence. Has he been living under a rock? How can he not know that this kind of thing is no longer acceptable? It’s bizarre, but it’s not just this tweet either as there was some instagram stuff that was staggering as well. 

Intentional or not, he has to be banned for it otherwise the FA are leaving themselves open to all kinds of shit. Kick it Out are all over it, and no doubt that Piara Power twat will kick up a stink to get himself a bit of publicity like he did with the Suarez thing.

It’s an unfortunate situation but it should be a teaching point, and not just for Bernardo. Hopefully someone at LFC will use this to re-enforce with all of our lads that they need to think long and hard before they post anything on social media.

This is just a teaser, click to view the full article

Please note that the Week that Was is only available to website subscribers. Subscriptions cost just £2 a month (you need to register first) and can be purchased here. 

• Upvote 1

VVD will win the ballon d’or but I don’t care about these stuff, football is about winning trophies as a team. Way too much is made about individual honors.

i stop paying attention in 1986 when Belanov stole the ballon d’or away from Zavarov.

I started reading Dave’s paper 20 years ago, I’ ve love it even though he’s outta his mind about Zidane. But now, there’s an issue, Rapinoe is great, how dare you ....

Meanwhile, in the Mirror: “Liverpool bottled the title last season and won’t win it this year either” claims El Hadji Diouf.

Meanwhile, on TLW: “El Hadji Diouf is a useless spitting cunt, the worst number nine in our history, and his opinion shouldn’t be given any kind of publicity whatsoever” claims Dave Usher.

He shouldn’t be given the publicity I’ve just given him....

The funny thing is though nobody gives a fuck about it. And why should they? It’s not like we hacked into their system. The daft bastards didn’t follow the first law of business. When an employee leaves for a rival, you make sure you change all your passwords and disable all their log in privileges.

We don’t know exactly what went on here but if it had been a hacking then they wouldn’t have just accepted a settlement, because that’s really serious and it’s the kind of thing you get heavily sanctioned for. This just looks like City being careless.

Let be fair, if you’re a scout that has moved to a new job and you log in to your account and you still have access to everything from your old club, of course you’re going to have a look. It would be weird not to. Here’s the thing though, when you look at the players we actually signed that year then we either took no notice of who they wanted, or they should be fucking paying us for the shite they inadvertently recommended.

Too right - what got to me was the fact that The Times made it a Sports section Front Page issue with a further two pages inside before making the throwaway comment that it was a common data base used by clubs all over Europe - implicitly saying that it wasn't a hack (the initial headline) at all, but someone using a login/password that hadn't been cancelled when that person left City.

• 2 weeks later...
On 29/09/2019 at 09:50, deiseach said:

It wasn't the Ballon d'Or, it was the FIFA World Player of the Year award. FIFA have to have a seperate award because FIFA. Still a chance for Virgil to win the award that people seem to think matters even though Kenny Dalglish never won it.

I thought it was the same thing. Since when did the FIFA award carry any relevance? Is that a new thing?

1 hour ago, dave u said:

I thought it was the same thing. Since when did the FIFA award carry any relevance? Is that a new thing?

There was a Fifa award from 1991 to 2010, which covered most of the period when the Ballon d'Or was either for European players only or only those playing for European clubs. The Ballon d'Or was the Fifa Ballon d'Or from 2010 to 2015, and since then Fifa have their own award again. Fifa really are a dose.