Quantcast
MK Dons 0 Liverpool 2 (Sep 25 2019) - FF - Football Forum - The Liverpool Way Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
tlw content

MK Dons 0 Liverpool 2 (Sep 25 2019)

dave_usher.jpg

Report by
Dave Usher

This is exactly how the early rounds of the League Cup is supposed to be. Lower league opposition that allows you to field a mixture of fringe players and kids while still progressing to the next stage. 

We haven’t had that opportunity in recent years as we kept getting difficult draws. The same thing has happened now as we face Arsenal next, but at least we had this game to blood some youngsters. And all in all, it was a resounding success. 

Harvey Elliott was brilliant, Curtis Jones was very good too, Ki-Jana Hoever scored and Kelleher was very assured in goal (didn’t mention his first name as I can’t spell it and I’m too lazy to look it up). You’ve probably noted that I haven’t mentioned Rhian Brewster. I’ll get to him in a bit. 

It was a good game with chances at both ends. I enjoyed it. It’s always nice when a few kids get a chance and perform well, plus we had the added bonus of giving run outs to the senior lads who haven’t played much. Being able to do all that and still win is just what you want.

It wasn’t all plain sailing though, MK Dons had four or five really good chances and some of our defending wasn’t what it should be. Lovren blundered in the first half and Gomez was beaten far too easily in the second. Other than that they were alright, but it’s fair to say neither of them did anything to put pressure on Matip.  

This is just a teaser, click to view the full article

Please note that Match Reports are only available to website subscribers. Subscriptions cost just £2 a month (you need to register first) and can be purchased here. 

Top Milner and Brewster analysis there. On the other hand, I’m not sure if TBM *does* know more than you. 
Also Hoever is expected to be unavailable for the Arse game (Under-17 World Cup).

• Upvote 1

U17 world cup? Is Elliott not involved in that too?

As for TBM. He's a former striker, came through the Academy, played for the first team, watched all of the u18 / u23 games and speaks to Inglethorpe and other coaches. Yeah, he defo knows more than me, but I appreciate the vote of confidence!

Regarding Brewster you have to take into account he missed 14 months due to injury. And he still havent had a prolonged run of matches after coming back. Early on yesterday he just looked like a bag of nerves, and I think he just needed to get this 1st match under his belt. All the kids did well yesterday,  some obviously more than others. And I also havent seen it mentioned anywhere, but those that drew 1-1 away against  Fleetwoods1st team (they lost on pens) was basically the u18s facing a team of similiar quality as MK Dons.

• Upvote 1

Managed to get a ticket off a guy at work (I work in Mk) and was in their end. Spot on assessment dave, and milner tearing into gomez and lallana over some slack defending shows why we need to keep milner in some capacity. 

• Upvote 1

Kelleher was very assured in goal (didn’t mention his first name as I can’t spell it and I’m too lazy to look it up).

Just call him Kevin

• Upvote 3

15 hours ago, Kurt said:

Regarding Brewster you have to take into account he missed 14 months due to injury.

Yeah, look at Ox, same thing really. You have to be patient to see them recover confidence and form. 

Elliott is so exciting!

• Upvote 1

Guest Pistonbroke

Brewster was trying too hard, and like others have said has gone through a lot of injuries. It might work in his favour that he was outshone by the other youngsters, competition at any level brings out the best in certain players. We all know he is capable, so hopefully he uses the way things went to his advantage. Elliott looked very good, hopefully he'll calm down in front of goal and learn from the senior players about sticking the ball in the net with precision instead of power. Jones also looked lively, he did however have the imperious Milner to link up with. Milner is just your perfect professional, must be a joy to play on the same wing with. Hoever was a bit hit and miss but took his header very well, like Brewster we all know the lad has quality. Kelleher was pretty solid in goal and those saves he made were not only instinctive and good but they'll do wonders for a young lads confidence. I#d have liked to have seen a bit more of van den berg. 

14 hours ago, bigal said:

Thought Milner showed great professionalism in leading those youngsters, he's a top bloke.

Was going to post similar. He played with the same intensity that he would in a big Champions League game.

Whenever he does decide to quit playing, I hope we keep him in a coaching capacity.

• Upvote 2

Guest Pistonbroke
11 minutes ago, El Rojo said:

Was going to post similar. He played with the same intensity that he would in a big Champions League game.

Whenever he does decide to quit playing, I hope we keep him in a coaching capacity.

Pity Gomez and Lovren don't seem to have the same attitude. OK, Gomez is still young and hopefully he'll learn a few harsh lessons quickly, Lovren though. 

I thought Lallana was excellent and I'm a long way from being a fan of his. He & Milner were easily the best of the seniors, Keita was OK as well but played within himself and kept it very simple, so you couldn't say he influenced the game enough given his reputation and talent.

The other seniors were out-performed by some of the kids. Personally, I was seriously impressed with Hoever - not just the goal and his general play but the fact he competed so well for every ball, even in the air against much stronger opponents he was fearless. He has the talent, that's obvious but he also looks to have the right attitude. If he is to make the grade as a centreback then he has to have that edge. Sure he needs to develop and put on some strength so he won't be out-muscled, that's all about growing into his frame, but if at this stage he is throwing himself whole-heartedly into challenges against big, experienced pros then that is a great sign.

Elliot - wow! Curtis Jones - some classy touches, he has quick feet and I hope he kicks on from here. Brewster meh, didn't seem to have much positional sense and he touched the ball so infrequently it was not the game to draw any conclusions, just has to play more but he didn't make a case for breaking into the first team yet as we all hoped from pre-season. Kelleher, very promising - his distribution is already streets ahead of Mignolet and one of his saves from point blank range was stunning, so he well deserves being our #2 even for a brief period.

Roll on Arsenal, then Crawley or Colchester please!

• Upvote 1

I like the fact that even though Elliott missed that early chance it didn't seem to faze him, if anything he got better as the game went on it shows good mental toughness for such a young lad.

• Upvote 1

On 26/09/2019 at 17:06, Kurt said:

Regarding Brewster you have to take into account he missed 14 months due to injury. And he still havent had a prolonged run of matches after coming back. Early on yesterday he just looked like a bag of nerves, and I think he just needed to get this 1st match under his belt. All the kids did well yesterday,  some obviously more than others. And I also havent seen it mentioned anywhere, but those that drew 1-1 away against  Fleetwoods1st team (they lost on pens) was basically the u18s facing a team of similiar quality as MK Dons.

That's a well made point - but I'd say Fleetwood are better than MK Dons - they spent a fair bit in the summer (for League 1) and have mad Joey Barton as manager.  

• Upvote 1

Don't get why we need international clearance for Chiravella to be honest. He's only been on loan and we still held his registration 

• Upvote 1

On 27/09/2019 at 17:54, RedHeadedRed said:

I like the fact that even though Elliott missed that early chance it didn't seem to faze him, if anything he got better as the game went on it shows good mental toughness for such a young lad.

Yes agreed.

• Upvote 1