You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Would an attacking midfielder work in our system?

Elite

Attacking midfielder?  

18 members have voted

1. 1. Replace one of the midfield 3 with an attacking mid?

• Every game - We would be even more amazing.
    • Specific games - Could help us break down stubborn opposition
    • No - Would unbalance the system we play and leave us short defensively.

For the last few transfer windows since Coutinho left, most fans have been calling for an attacking midfielder. However, we've evolved massively since he was here.

Our attack is heavily reliant on the front 3, with our full backs playing almost as wingers at times. The midfield is unspectacular, doesn't provide us with a lot of goals but sets the platform for our attacking players to thrive. Our system is obviously working incredibly well and there is no reason to change it but out of curiosity I'd like to see the general consensus on whether people think it could work or not.

Probably not, at least not without a more possession-focused midfield 2 behind them? If you inserted another definitively attacking midfielder into this team as it is, we'd probably end up giving the ball away more and it'd do more harm than good. What is it, 15 wins in a row, 23 unbeaten and something like 1 loss in 40+ games? That is approaching football perfection, if such a concept exists, and all on an entirely self-sustainable budget. Its an absolutely remarkable achievement. Who would the stubborn opposition even be?

It is noticeable that the full backs -- TAA at least -- are playing even further forward this season. Game in game out now TAA is getting shots away inside or around the box. It really doesn't feel like we need more attacking outlets in the 11 now - just a little more substance to the bench attacking options.

Midfielders who have the ability to dribble, shoot and spot passes like Coutinho did when he was here are few and far between. Midfielders who can do all that, and also press, tackle and compete physically for 90 minutes like Henderson or Wijnaldum can basically don't exist.

We already have a really good attacking midfielder / number 10 in the squad btw. He doesn't get a look in.

I am not sure this is the correct label; certainly the gameplan involves workhorses in midfield that can cover a lot of ground and press when we haven't got the ball. But there is no reason why those workhorses cannot have an attacking flair in addition.

I think what we lack - without AOC or, possibly, Naby - is a "basketball" player. Someone who runs with the ball (as Coutinho did). What we have is a group of "netball" players who all get rid of the ball before moving with it. Fekir (who I see is out with a long term knee injury now) fitted that bill and there is room in the team for that type of player.

Hopefully, the Ox and baby can fill the role when fit and up to steam.

When Coutinho was here, I don't remember our full backs being so high up the pitch which wouldn't have left us as exposed in midfield as it would now playing with an AM. In saying that we've hit the jackpot with Trent and Robbo, I vaguely recall it was Milner at left-back and a very green TAA at right back when Coutinho was here.

The more you analyse the current team, it makes me smile as it's soo fucking good.

Someone like De Bruyne or Eriksen would be great for our midfield and is arguably the only thing the team is missing. They work just as hard as Hendo or Gini but have extra quality going forward. Getting someone as elite as them is obviously going to be hard though. Personally I'm all in on Havertz and hope we go balls out to get in him in the summer and rejig our midfield a little to fit him in.

1 hour ago, joe_fishfish said:

Midfielders who have the ability to dribble, shoot and spot passes like Coutinho did when he was here are few and far between. Midfielders who can do all that, and also press, tackle and compete physically for 90 minutes like Henderson or Wijnaldum can basically don't exist.

Get a time machine and retrieve a peak Gerrard.