You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Thomas Cook on the verge of collapse

1892-LFCWasBorn

Guest Pistonbroke
1 minute ago, Scott_M said:

I’d have risked a scalping for a go on a Native American lass, that sexy ready / brown skin...

That’s been my impression of the bars as well. Her Grandad knows I like a dive bar but some of the places I was a bit wary of talking. Most of the places we went were as you described but with stuffed animals etc on the wall. I did like a big mounted elk head in a few places. 

My wife’s auntie has a lake house past Bute, it is really nice but again, it’s such a long ass, expensive place to get to. 

Her auntie is over from Seattle today, I’m going to see if she can get Grandad to meet us somewhere closer to civilisation. 

I was tempted, but fancy my bollocks being attached to the rest of my body mate. They do love their taxidermy mate, half of the locals looked like they had been stuffed themselves. Like you say, not much to do on a nightlife side of things, the women were gagging for a bit of British though. The area was full of interesting things to visit culture wise though. 

The clock is ticking on the future of 20,000 staff and 550 shops that would be left empty if it folds. The more immediate concern is the estimated 150,000 UK customers who are currently overseas and could be marooned if the worst should happen.

Bringing them home if Thomas Cook collapses – and reimbursing holidaymakers for future bookings – could cost as much as £600m. Some of the cost would be met by the industry-funded Atol scheme, a safety net that covers package holidays. Much of it, including bringing flight-only customers back, would be on the taxpayer. The repatriation effort would be gargantuan, involving the transport of almost half of the number of troops evacuated from Dunkirk during the second world war. There is a reason that the codename given to a contingency plan drawn up by the Civil Aviation Authority is Operation Matterhorn – a peak that was once notoriously difficult to scale.

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2019/sep/21/thomas-cook-holiday-nightmare-big-debts-bad-luck-brink

Fucking hell.

I've got a holiday booked with them for June next year so will be interesting to see how this pans out!

If anyone is au fait with this, will I be reimbursed what I've paid in so far as I've not paid the lot off and will my booking with the hotel be void?

Thanks.

My mother was in that hotel as well I've just picked her up from the airport an hour or so again, they tried it again with people leaving this morning. 

Locked the gates and said people couldn't leave unless they paid their bills. They've had to have the consulate and the local police chief in and all sorts this morning as needless to say quite a lot of people kicked off. 

On 21/09/2019 at 15:16, Welsh said:

I've got a holiday booked with them for June next year so will be interesting to see how this pans out!

If anyone is au fait with this, will I be reimbursed what I've paid in so far as I've not paid the lot off and will my booking with the hotel be void?

Thanks.

You should get everything back, mate, thanks to EU protection.

Interesting to note if we'd have already Brexited you would have got fuck all unless you'd taken out personal insurance

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, mattyq said:

You should get everything back, mate, thanks to EU protection.

Interesting to note if we'd have already Brexited you would have got fuck all unless you'd taken out personal insurance

Which would have been a triumphant example of cutting out red tape and taking back control. 

A red white and blue overdraft.

My Mrs was supposed to go with her mates to Las Vegas in 4 weeks. They tried re booking the holiday about 2 minutes after it was announced last night and the prices with various companies had more than doubled.

The only way to get there at a reasonable cost on the same dates was to take a stupid amount of flights and be knackered when they finally got there. 

They are looking to go in June next year as that is the only time that they can go due to work/family commitments and the fact that a few of the others have already booked holidays for next year. 

It's a pain in the arse but at least it's not as bad as losing your job or re-enacting Argo trying to escape from somewhere. 

A girl in work is going to New York in November and had booked with Thomas Cook but ended up paying £500 more to fly direct on the same dates with Virgin from Manchester. 

Thomas Cook executives raked in more than £20 million over the last five years, despite long term fears about the operator.

Peter Fankhauser, the chief executive, took home £8.3 million since he took over in 2014, including a £2.9m bonus in 2015.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politics/labour-demands-thomas-cook-bosses-20148720

Fucking cunts.

46 minutes ago, 1892-LFCWasBorn said:

Thomas Cook executives raked in more than £20 million over the last five years, despite long term fears about the operator.

Peter Fankhauser, the chief executive, took home £8.3 million since he took over in 2014, including a £2.9m bonus in 2015.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politics/labour-demands-thomas-cook-bosses-20148720

Fucking cunts.

I'm sure they will all pay their bonuses back?