You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Thomas Cook on the verge of collapse

1892-LFCWasBorn

Sky News has learnt that the 178 year-old travel agent has this week been holding emergency talks about a deal to offload its Nordic airline and tour operating units in a desperate attempt to raise cash.

Thomas Cook has been left with a £200m black hole in its finances following a demand by lenders to secure new standby funding on top of a £900m restructuring package that is due to be voted on next week.

9k employees in the UK, 22k around the world.

Could be going into administration in the next few days.

Sad when another British institution is about to go bust.

Wonder how many will be stranded abroad?

Thomas Cook are pissing me off. My wife is from Billings Montana so we’re looking at going there next summer.

Cheapest flight is Manchester to Seattle & change but the initial flight is with, unfortunately, Thomas Cook.

We’re then looking at going down to Cancun and the cheapest fight home, is again unfortunately, with Thomas Cook.

Going to have to see how it pans out. I’m not 100% sure other companies have released their flight prices at the moment for July / August 2020 or at least I hope they haven’t, because they are fucking extortionate. 

Guest Pistonbroke
6 minutes ago, Scott_M said:

Thomas Cook are pissing me off. My wife is from Billings Montana so we’re looking at going there next summer.

Cheapest flight is Manchester to Seattle & change but the initial flight is with, unfortunately, Thomas Cook.

We’re then looking at going down to Cancun and the cheapest fight home, is again unfortunately, with Thomas Cook.

Going to have to see how it pans out. I’m not 100% sure other companies have released other flight prices at the moment, or at least I hope they haven’t, because they are fucking extortionate. 

Whilst stationed in Canada for a whole year we spent our 3 weeks R&R in Montana. We were based in a Town called Kalispell and travelled to Wyoming to visit Yellowstone National Park, we stayed on some Indian Reservation near to Billings due to some contacts we made. 

19 minutes ago, Pistonbroke said:

Whilst stationed in Canada for a whole year we spent our 3 weeks R&R in Montana. We were based in a Town called Kalispell and travelled to Wyoming to visit Yellowstone National Park, we stayed on some Indian Reservation near to Billings due to some contacts we made. 

It’s a very picturesque place but there is fuck all to do there. 

My wife’s Grandad is incredibly racist towards the native American’s. He took us to Custer’s Last Stand and there was a reservation a few miles before it and it was like hearing an American Bernard Manning.

“We give them this beautiful piece of land and it’s just full of clapped out cars with about 10 living in each...

I obviously didn’t pick him up on the many, many inaccuracies in that sentence!

Anyway, Billings is a twat to get to. You can only fly there via Denver, Seattle, Salt Lake City, Minneapolis, Las Vegas at a push or in specific seasons, Dallas Chicago or LA. Getting to any of those places from Manchester is a ball ache (or Thomas Cook...) & then I’ve got to plan breaking up parts of the journey for our daughter, who’ll be 5 by then, so it’s not too much. 

It is significantly easier from London but it’d probably involve a night down south the day before the flight, more cost, more travelling etc etc.

It’s fair to say it’s a very sore point in our household at the moment, especially as I not allowed to go to Qatar in December because of it...

Guest Pistonbroke
4 minutes ago, Scott_M said:

It’s a very picturesque place but there is fuck all to do there. 

My wife’s Grandad is incredibly racist towards the native American’s. He took us to Custer’s Last Stand and there was a reservation a few miles before it and it was like hearing an American Bernard Manning.

“We give them this beautiful piece of land and it’s just full of clapped out cars with about 10 living in each...

I obviously didn’t pick him up on the many, many inaccuracies in that sentence!

Anyway, Billings is a twat to get to. You can only fly there via Denver, Seattle, Salt Lake City, Minneapolis, Las Vegas at a push or in specific seasons, Dallas Chicago or LA. Getting to any of those places from Manchester is a ball ache (or Thomas Cook...) & then I’ve got to plan breaking up parts of the journey for our daughter, who’ll be 5 by then, so it’s not too much. 

It is significantly easier from London but it’d probably involve a night down south the day before the flight, more cost, more travelling etc etc.

It’s fair to say it’s a very sore point in our household at the moment, especially as I not allowed to go to Qatar in December because of it...

It was even worse back in 85 mate. Plenty of locals were enraged with a bunch of Squaddies mixing with the Natives. We had a great time on the various reservations we visited/stayed at. Made us feel welcome and that peace pipe had some strong shit in it. They had us wrestling with the young braves for some initiation test they were prepping for. Some of the women were really gorgeous, obviously kept our hands to ourselves though as far as the Native women went.

Montana itself is a real beautiful area, I found the women were very friendly but the men were mainly boss eyed throwback types. The drinking establishments mostly had sawdust on the floor instead of wood/carpet, probably made cleaning the blood up easier as they were always fighting with each other. One thing stuck in my mind about the area, a flatbed truck would pull up regularly with various bible bashers doing their stuff on the back of them and the crowds were huge. Made getting served in the local eateries a lot easier for us. 

I'm guessing your wife is Hyper about returning for a visit, nice for your daughter to get in a bit of her heritage. 

19 minutes ago, Pistonbroke said:

Some of the women were really gorgeous, obviously kept our hands to ourselves though as far as the Native women went.

Montana itself is a real beautiful area, I found the women were very friendly but the men were mainly boss eyed throwback types. The drinking establishments mostly had sawdust on the floor instead of wood/carpet, probably made cleaning the blood up easier as they were always fighting with each other. One thing stuck in my mind about the area, a flatbed truck would pull up regularly with various bible bashers doing their stuff on the back of them and the crowds were huge. Made getting served in the local eateries a lot easier for us. 

I'm guessing your wife is Hyper about returning for a visit, nice for your daughter to get in a bit of her heritage. 

I’d have risked a scalping for a go on a Native American lass, that sexy ready / brown skin...

That’s been my impression of the bars as well. Her Grandad knows I like a dive bar but some of the places I was a bit wary of talking. Most of the places we went were as you described but with stuffed animals etc on the wall. I did like a big mounted elk head in a few places. 

My wife’s auntie has a lake house past Bute, it is really nice but again, it’s such a long ass, expensive place to get to. 

Red Lodge is beautiful as well. 

Her auntie is over from Seattle at the moment and we’re meeting them in York today, I’m going to see if she can get Grandad to meet us somewhere closer to civilisation. 

18 hours ago, No2 said:

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2015/may/17/corfu-deaths-thomas-cooks-35m-compensation-dwarfed-that-of-parents

They shouldn't have been able to continue as a business after this. It says a lot about society that your ordinary man and dad still book family holidays through them. Scummy behaviour, as bad as the S*n in my opinion. 

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2015/may/18/thomas-cook-holiday-deaths-compensation-charity