You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Chelsea (A) Premier League - 22-9-19

Bjornebye

I feel like the second half, particularly late after Kante scored, is the first time I’ve seen us look devoid of ideas and truly uncomfortable this season. I agree that the front 3 looked tired, especially Mo who’s touch seemed missing completely. Thought TAA looked dead on his feet towards the end as well.

That we won despite that is awesome and something we seem to have added to our locker over the course of the last year. It’s nice to know we can see games out even when we’re under the kosh. 

Such a massive 3 points. I didn't get to see it, but imo Chelsea are going to become a much better team as the season wears on and not many teams will win there. A real birdie result this. City got the headlines but they were always going to bum Watford. I'm just gutted i put it down as a 3.5 game. I think we could do the same if we needed to.

I'd put out Joey Gomez, Ox and possibly give Shaq some minutes in the game mid week. Looking forward to Brewster and Kelleher getting game time also. Lallana should start. He needs minutes.

• Upvote 1

Great win. Their transfer ban and revolutionary youth policy has been a touch overstated in my opinion...they brought more players in than us this summer, can boast the likes of Kante in one of the strongest midfields in the league, obviously spent years previously expensively stockpiling a great side and only won the Premier League a few seasons ago. They lost Hazard, basically. I don’t recall us getting the same allowances when Suarez went, and he was a better player.

Even the younger ones they’re bringing in are at the elite youth level you’d expect after the boatloads of money they’ve spent acquiring and maintaining so many through all these years. I keep hearing from the media they haven’t had a youth tradition, but it’s subtly different. They’ve always been there and ready at great expense through an industrial level youth academy, they just didn’t ever get a game for the first team. With the exception of Mount they’re all prototype modern football athletes built for the Premier League; at least 2 from tall, strong, muscular (veering into 3 Stacks territory here, someone pass me a wet towel) and far from callow youths who struggle physically, which is obviously so often where the step up is such a gaping chasm nowadays. We were obviously affected by the game in midweek, but I can’t see us physically struggling like that against virtually any other side playing 3 or 4 kids from their academy.

Its a notably different approach from a Chelsea boss to play them, sure, and it’s obviously in part due to a ban this summer. It’s not quite the enormous handicap it’s being painted as though, so that was about as big a 3 points as we’ll take all season given how fired up for it they inevitably were. 

• Upvote 1

Guest Pistonbroke

Garth Crooks' chatting bollocks again.

Roberto Firmino: I think VAR is going to be the death of us all in the end. Nevertheless, Liverpool used the technology to their benefit and Roberto Firmino in particular.

There is no doubt in my mind that when VAR comes into action one team suffers and the other gains a massive psychological advantage.

While Chelsea were suffering from VAR's discovery that Mason Mount's big toe was offside the Brazil international took complete advantage of the situation and put the game beyond the Blues.

This was not a classic Liverpool performance but even VAR can't stop a team from winning ugly.

3 minutes ago, Pistonbroke said:

Roberto Firmino: I think VAR is going to be the death of us all in the end. Nevertheless, Liverpool used the technology to their benefit and Roberto Firmino in particular.

There is no doubt in my mind that when VAR comes into action one team suffers and the other gains a massive psychological advantage.

While Chelsea were suffering from VAR's discovery that Mason Mount's big toe was offside the Brazil international took complete advantage of the situation and put the game beyond the Blues.

This was not a classic Liverpool performance but even VAR can't stop a team from winning ugly.

I actually agree with him 

Guest Pistonbroke
1 minute ago, Reckoner said:

I actually agree with him 

Nah, offside is offside mate. VAR has been far from perfect, but pundits and commentators being angry when it gets a decision right just stinks of bitterness. 

1 minute ago, Pistonbroke said:

Nah, offside is offside mate. VAR has been far from perfect, but pundits and commentators being angry when it gets a decision right just stinks of bitterness. 

I just think chalking off goals retrospectively will prove to be too much for a lot of fans. I don’t have the solution but the way it is at the moment is not good for the game. Of course I pissed myself on Sunday at Chelsea, the sterling goal in the CL was poetry but it’s a farce currently. Sorry.

Plus it’s not black and white, you have human error, computer error, cameras in awkward places, different peoples perception of the same footage.

• Upvote 1

Guest Pistonbroke
Just now, Reckoner said:

I just think chalking off goals retrospectively will prove to be too much for a lot of fans. I don’t have the solution but the way it is at the moment is not good for the game. Of course I pissed myself on Sunday at Chelsea, the sterling goal in the CL was poetry but it’s a farce currently. Sorry.

Plus it’s not black and white, you have human error, computer error, cameras in awkward places, different peoples perception of the same footage.

It was offside mate. We all know VAR has caused controversy so far this season, but this decision was spot on. 

20 minutes ago, Pistonbroke said:

All the old cronies and good old boys clubs having a moan about VAR. The one thing VAR has got spot on is the offside. 

It's now black and white as you are either onside or offside.