You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Chelsea (A) Premier League - 22-9-19

Bjornebye

Just now, Butch said:

Another good game for Adrian, he's been brilliant. Top keeper, if we had to rely on mig today it could have been 3-2.. 

Possibly but I do agree Adrian has done a very decent job so far. Better than I expected to be fair.  

lets not forget he's probably got the best back 4 in the league protecting him

Guest Pistonbroke
3 minutes ago, Butch said:

Another good game for Adrian, he's been brilliant. Top keeper, if we had to rely on mig today it could have been 3-2.. 

Adrian pulled off a few good saves, he didn't know that one of them was offside, i nearly shit myself but he stopped the chance anyway. 

That run by Robbo at the end had me out of my chair as well. 

Massive result. Looked tired in the last 30/25 minutes though but should be expected after an equally hard game against Napoli. 

No one should play at MK Dons on Wednesday who will be playing Sheffield United on Saturday. 

Our game at home to Leicester will be tough as it's only 3 days after the Salzburg game and a 3pm kick off. 

Think we need a full back and a forward in January but I'm not holding my breath. 

• Upvote 1

Guest Pistonbroke
4 minutes ago, Anubis said:

Milner

Gomez

Lovren

Hoever

Ox

Jones

Weeble

Brewster

All should be starting the cup game.

You can add Adam Cruff to that list. 

Think Jurgen said Keita ( remember him ? ) will be involved.

...……………………………...… Adrian

Hoever………….. Gomez...…………... Lovren...…….Larouci / Lewis

……...Milner...…...……..Ox …………...Keita

Shaqiri………… Brewster...…..Lallana

I've looked at the team's results since our return to the Champions League in 2017/18. In that season, our first CL group game was a 2-2 home draw with Sevilla. That game was preceded by the 5-0 hiding at City, and followed up with a 1-1 draw against Burnley at Anfield. Last season's opening 3-2 win against PSG was preceded by a 2-1 win at Spurs and followed up with an easy 3-0 home win against Southampton. This year, our 2-0 defeat at Napoli was preceded by a 3-1 win against Newcastle and followed by today's 2-1 win at Chelsea.

In all those follow-up games, even though we've not lost, we've struggled to impose ourselves in the second half of the match. We've not scored in the second half of these games, and at times we've looked as though we are running on fumes.

I bring this up because we saw this today. We have started each CL group phase against the strongest opponent in the group so we've had to start our strongest line-ups and be physically and mentally tuned in from the start. While the players can hack the midweek game physically, to follow it up with 90 minutes of consistency the following weekend is a big ask. The players (and coaching staff) have taken a lot out of themselves so a bit of flagging is not in itself unusual. Given that this is only our 3rd campaign back, there isn't enough of a sample size to see if it is a pattern that needs urgent rectification. If we were starting the group phase against the weakest opponents and then struggling physically late on at the weekend, then that would certainly be a greater cause for concern.

We didn't play well in this game but took more of our chances than Chelsea did. Trent scored a belter and Bobby followed up with an excellent header from Robbo's left wing cross. The link-up play in attack was even less effective than it had been in midweek. Bobby's not too affected by the whole issue (or non-issue) of our forward link-up play, but both Sadio and Mo are second guessing themselves in critical situations. They should trust their instincts more as it is trusting their instincts that has seen them prove to be so lethal in the past. It's only a minor correction to make.

Chelsea had a goal ruled out by VAR. Not sure what the controversy over it was as Mount was marginally offside in the build-up. They had a couple of goals chalked off for offside in the recent Super Cup game too. Those were correct decisions as well. Martin Tyler is ready for the glue factory as he kept going on about it even though it was clear enough and had been explained numerous times. It's like Glenn Hoddle whinging during the CL final, or Jonathan Pearce having a meltdown over goal line technology at the 2014 World Cup. Wind yer necks in you fucking melts, it's fucking embarrassing to show so little understanding of the rules when you are paid to talk the viewers through a situation.

3 points again, and maximum so far this season. Just focus on doing the right things.

• Upvote 1

Guest Pistonbroke
1 minute ago, niallers said:

Surely this was lallanas first ever game where he didn't actually manage a cruyff turn? The degenerate malingerer 

Earned his corn today. 

One thing I would like is for us to settle on a midfielder for the right side. No one tracks back like Mane and he and Robbo could take care of that entire flank by themselves in both directions. Rotate the forward most midfielder on the left - stick Milner or Wiji next to TAA.

Trent is the lesser of the fullbacks defensively and Salah is rarely even in the picture. Alonso was in acres of space all night.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

One thing I would like is for us to settle on a midfielder for the right side. No one tracks back like Mane and he and Robbo could take care of that entire flank by themselves in both directions. Rotate the forward most midfielder on the left - stick Milner or Wiji next to TAA.

Trent is the lesser of the fullbacks defensively and Salah is rarely even in the picture. Alonso was in acres of space all night.

Milner.

21 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

Trent didn't help himself by being too narrow and basically holding matips hand for most of the game. He has to keep his shape and a lot of those cross field balls wouldn't have even been attempted. 

Play shaq, ox and Gomez Tuesday and next sat away at Sheffield United to get them some rhythm and minutes in their legs.

2 hours ago, Pistonbroke said:

Sheffield United away next weekend and then another international break. Would be nice to blunt the Blades and go 8 points ahead of City before they play the Bitters. 

Leicester at home after Sheffield United mate, then international break. And this time there will be no fuck up. What a team this is. 

Guest Pistonbroke
3 minutes ago, Closer To God said:

Leicester at home after Sheffield United mate, then international break. And this time there will be no fuck up. What a team this is. 

Got my breaks mixed up, cheers mate. Still could go 8 clear of City before they play the Bitters which would be handy. 

47 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

Yep that diagonal ball down our right was killing us. We are always going to be vulnerable to it with the full backs pushing up and Salah is never going to that useful there even when he drops back. I'm not sure what the solution is and maybe its just a weakness we have to accept. 

1 hour ago, niallers said:

Trent didn't help himself by being too narrow and basically holding matips hand for most of the game. He has to keep his shape and a lot of those cross field balls wouldn't have even been attempted. 

Play shaq, ox and Gomez Tuesday and next sat away at Sheffield United to get them some rhythm and minutes in their legs.

This is fair comment , but the way Jurgen has his finger on everything there is no way that he hadn't asked TAA to do this or he would have been screaming at him constantly. I wonder whether he feels that we have less to fear from crosses than central attacks , and it also catches their full backs out of position if we break.

3 minutes ago, sir roger said:

This is fair comment , but the way Jurgen has his finger on everything there is no way that he hadn't asked TAA to do this or he would have been screaming at him constantly. I wonder whether he feels that we have less to fear from crosses than central attacks , and it also catches their full backs out of position if we break.

Yeah, it's an obvious tactic. Virgil and Matip are basically unbeatable in the air, so there's every reason to play narrow when we want to put people behind the ball. 

The problem is when you drop so deep that the opposing full backs pop up in the box. It happened a couple times today with Azpilicueta and that's when we were in most danger. 

• Upvote 1