You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Liverpool 3 Newcastle 1 (Sep 14 2019)

tlw content

dave_usher.jpg

Report by
Dave Usher

Five games, five wins and a five point lead. Winning all of our games isn’t surprising, but the five point lead is definitely an unexpected bonus. I don’t think anyone saw that coming.

Apparently this is the biggest lead any team has ever had after five games, so if we don’t win it we can expect to have that little nugget thrown back at us by random little nuggets all over the country.

Being top after five games doesn’t mean much but you’d rather be there than not. It’s funny seeing fans of other clubs declaring the title race over. I haven’t seen any Reds even remotely suggesting that we’ve got anything in the bag but I’ve seen numerous other fans crying it in and trying to reverse jinx us. 

We are good though, aren’t we? I don’t blame anyone who thinks we’ll run away with it, as if I supported someone else I might feel the same way. We’re not like that because we’ve been burned so many times and tempting fate is never wise, but we’re European Champions for a reason.

Here’s something else to consider too. I saw a tweet from Carra where he said City are the best team in Europe and we’re really close behind. It’s not an unreasonable statement. They beat us to the title last season and they were miles ahead of us the season before. 

There’s another way of looking at it though. It depends on how far back you want to go. I mean, I could make the point that over the last 43 Premier League games we’ve collected four more points than them as well as becoming Champions of Europe. We don’t have to take a back seat to anyone right now.

One of the main benefits to being this good is the Mike Tyson effect. A lot of opponents are beaten before they even start. City have benefitted from that massively and only have around 15 ‘competitive’ games a season. The rest are just glorified training exercises against opponents who just want to avoid too bad a beating.

We might be getting that kind of aura about us now. The european Cup helps, obviously, but it’s more than that. It’s the 97 points, the only losing one game last season (and even that was to City) and the incredible form at Anfield. The other contributing factor is the media narrative. If you’re constantly hearing about how special a team is, it has an impact.

In the build up this game Steve Bruce was virtually calling us the greatest side in the history of the world. He didn’t say that in so many words, but it was more or less implied. “As good as side as you’re likely to face” and similar platitudes. It’s not just him either, it’s becoming a common theme. Uni Emery half joked that he wished he never had to play against us.

All of this influences how opponents see you. City have had loads of games where it was over before it started and it feels that way with us a lot of the time. Newcastle scored first but it will have shocked them as much as us and I doubt they felt that they might be able to hold onto it. 

This is just a teaser, click to view the full article

Please note that Match Reports are only available to website subscribers. Subscriptions cost just £2 a month (you need to register first) and can be purchased here. 

• Upvote 4

• dave u pinned this topic
1 minute ago, Anubis said:

Shocking lack of recognition for Gini’s incredible attempt on goal. Forgotten and discarded by Usher’s rush to board the Bobby train.

I think he rattled through this one so he can get to the Premier League round-up where the real meat is - Everton A and Everton C losing.

• Upvote 2

I used to think Marriner was one of the better refs out of a dreadful bunch, but he should have been put out to grass about three years ago. Just to remind everyone - he was the guy who allowed Burnley's goal at the Kop end last season, despite not one, but two Burnley players clearly fouling Alisson. Despite having a perfect view of it, as evidenced by the behind-the-goal camera. 

As for VAR - I'm still in support of it in principle. The only problem is that the idiots in charge of setting the protocols and operating it are the same bunch of tossers who do their best to ruin most games through constant, glaring errors. (Or rampant bias  - Anthony Taylor, I'm looking at you, you twat.)

• Upvote 4

27 minutes ago, DaveT said:

I used to think Marriner was one of the better refs out of a dreadful bunch, but he should have been put out to grass about three years ago. Just to remind everyone - he was the guy who allowed Burnley's goal at the Kop end last season, despite not one, but two Burnley players clearly fouling Alisson. Despite having a perfect view of it, as evidenced by the behind-the-goal camera. 

As for VAR - I'm still in support of it in principle. The only problem is that the idiots in charge of setting the protocols and operating it are the same bunch of tossers who do their best to ruin most games through constant, glaring errors. (Or rampant bias  - Anthony Taylor, I'm looking at you, you twat.)

Completely agree with this. 

The supposed ‘best’ refs are the match referees, so if those incompetent twats are on field how fucking low in the barrel are they scraping for the refs at Stockley Park. 

• Upvote 1

Love the way Bobby tapped Mane on the hip with his foot after his 2nd goal then encouraged him to show off his celebration with him.  Bobby is a one off, from the way he plays to the way he gets child like joy on the pitch.

Already one of my all time favourite players.  They say no player is irreplaceable, but fuck me you'd have to get 2 players in to do what Bobby does on a regular basis.  Proper world class.

8 hours ago, tlw content said:

We might be getting that kind of aura about us now. The european Cup helps, obviously, but it’s more than that. It’s the 97 points, the only losing one game last season (and even that was to City) and the incredible form at Anfield. The other contributing factor is the media narrative. If you’re constantly hearing about how special a team is, it has an impact.

The 4 nil v Barca helps bigtime on the European front too.Interesting comments from the Bloodred lads about that Spanish fanzine dedicating this months Magazine to Anfield & Liverpool. Shit like this is just priceless and helps build the rep to such an extent that 1 or 2 nil isn't felt as enough

• dave u unpinned this topic