You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Rugby Union World Cup - Japan - 2019

Bjornebye

Guest Pistonbroke

Fair play to Japan for putting on an amazing tournament, especially when you realise the personal disaster the country went through. Full grounds, eager crowds and just about everyone connected with the game singing praises about their welcoming and friendly attitude. 

Everything we did right last week we did wrong this week. Sometimes it just doesn't seem like it was meant to be.

Coach getting delayed , Sinkler out of the game within 2 minutes.

Boks well deserved to win but not sure Garces would have given us a chance anyway. There was one obvious penalty not given early on where Itoje tied the guy up for 5 seconds, yet he gave a Lawes penalty a millisecond after he was caught the wrong side of a ruck.

In a way I wish we had lost to the All Blacks as they would have sorted SA out I reckon and they at least play the game in a positive way. Hope SA's win doesn't drag the other coaches back to grim forward-based attrition and constant kicking.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, sir roger said:

Everything we did right last week we did wrong this week. Sometimes it just doesn't seem like it was meant to be.

Coach getting delayed , Sinkler out of the game within 2 minutes.

Boks well deserved to win but not sure Garces would have given us a chance anyway. There was one obvious penalty not given early on where Itoje tied the guy up for 5 seconds, yet he gave a Lawes penalty a millisecond after he was caught the wrong side of a ruck.

In a way I wish we had lost to the All Blacks as they would have sorted SA out I reckon and they at least play the game in a positive way. Hope SA's win doesn't drag the other coaches back to grim forward-based attrition and constant kicking.

The Boks showed late on that they can run it when they want to - they have the abilty, but the key to the match was the very poor English scrum. If you can milk 3 points from a scrum so easily, you’re going to do it aren’t you?

If the scrum had been more balanced, you’d have seen an entirely different game unfold. The Boks would have been forced to be more inventive, and England would possibly have found their rhythm in a closer contest, where your attitude stays more positive .

Jones will be wondering why the scrum failed so badly.

• Upvote 1

I think having to bring Cole on after 2 minutes , and knowing he had to do the whole 80 minutes was a massive factor in the scrum problems.

I don't really follow the Premiership but surely there must be better options than Dan Cole who is ordinary in the scrums now and appears to be a one-man penalty-giving machine.

Looks a massive defeat on paper but I think there was a sliding doors moment with the Farrell penalty that just missed and within a minute or two we were 9 rather than 3 points behind and the head of steam we had finally found fizzled out.

38 minutes ago, sir roger said:

I think having to bring Cole on after 2 minutes , and knowing he had to do the whole 80 minutes was a massive factor in the scrum problems.

I don't really follow the Premiership but surely there must be better options than Dan Cole who is ordinary in the scrums now and appears to be a one-man penalty-giving machine.

Looks a massive defeat on paper but I think there was a sliding doors moment with the Farrell penalty that just missed and within a minute or two we were 9 rather than 3 points behind and the head of steam we had finally found fizzled out.

All excellent points

9 hours ago, sir roger said:

Yeah, it would've been much better to have had Harry Williams come on, but who's to say whether he'd have played as well as Cole as a late sub in all the other games.

None of them are used to playing a full 80 though so there would have issues regardless.

• Upvote 1