You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Rugby Union World Cup - Japan - 2019

Bjornebye

Given we gifted them their try and had two disallowed plus a missed kick at the end 19-7 was a massive distortion of the dominance England had today. Can't wait to see Boris Johnson sitting smugly in the VIP seats next Saturday basking in the reflective glory and making England great again. Come on Wales.

• Upvote 1

On 19/10/2019 at 14:00, clockspeed said:

Not understanding the negativity around England. Unfortunately now I’m an impartial observer and England were seriously impressive today especially their defence. It will be a tight one score match in that semi. However Mr Itojie needs to stop the fist clenching and whooping when a situation goes England’s way. They all do it to an extent but he is the one you see . You won’t see any NZ players at that knobish carry on.  Otherwise actually hope England can turn them over best of luck.

Called it now I am panicking ! If wales get through supporting them if SA then England. Seriously good performance today well done. You lot will be hard to listen to if you lift it.

• Upvote 1

Guest Pistonbroke
50 minutes ago, Red Shift said:

Yeah. I think it may come down to how hard the game is for Wales/Spring boks - I dont think wales have the skill set to get up, but if its a romp for either side, and an easier game, England might not quite have the gas in the tank

Never underestimate an extra days rest. SA v Wales won't be easy for either, it#s going to be a very physical game.

It was also important that England kept their discipline today and din't have to play any part of the game with a man less, I can't see the other semi final panning out that way. SA will be favourites, but with a place in the final anything can happen, as we seen today. Wales have won their last 4 friendly meeting against SA, but SA have won the last two WC match ups. Should be a cracking game for the neutral. If Wales get off to another slow start it could be curtains for them. 

Guest Pistonbroke
52 minutes ago, magicrat said:

Given we gifted them their try and had two disallowed plus a missed kick at the end 19-7 was a massive distortion of the dominance England had today. Can't wait to see Boris Johnson sitting smugly in the VIP seats next Saturday basking in the reflective glory and making England great again. Come on Wales.

Yeah, sat next to the Royals spouting shite. Hopefully some boss eyed Japanese Fisherman will mistake him for a baby whale and stick a harpoon in his blubber. 

8 hours ago, clockspeed said:

Called it now I am panicking ! If wales get through supporting them if SA then England. Seriously good performance today well done. You lot will be hard to listen to if you lift it.

Thing that impressed me was they avoided the triumphalism from the Oz game & were very low-key and cold-eyed about their performance as if to show they realised it meant very little unless they win the whole thing.

I want to give praise to Eddie Jones. 

He did so much for Australian rugby, but had to move on. Japan are what they are today, in no small way, because of Eddie, and now he has raised the English game from the low it was at, 4 yrs ago.

What an Ambassador for Rugby. If they bring home the cup, a knighthood would be fitting !

16 hours ago, General Dryness said:

Great performance there from England. I suppose it's quite flattering for the ABs that England had to play their best rugby in 16 years to beat them.

That’s a bit unfair me thinks.

That was only the 2nd time that England have played the ABs since Eddie Jones took control. The other game at Twick’m last year they lost by a single point.

England v New Zealand has been the match up everyone wanted to see since the last World Cup, but it’s like they’ve avoided each other.

To say that England had to play their best rugby in 16 years, is way off the mark. I suspect strongly that if there had been more meetings during Jones’ tenure, England would have been more than capable of winning them.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, Red Shift said:

That’s a bit unfair me thinks.

That was only the 2nd time that England have played the ABs since Eddie Jones took control. The other game at Twick’m last year they lost by a single point.

England v New Zealand has been the match up everyone wanted to see since the last World Cup, but it’s like they’ve avoided each other.

To say that England had to play their best rugby in 16 years, is way off the mark. I suspect strongly that if there had been more meetings during Jones’ tenure, England would have been more than capable of winning them.

Opinions are like arseholes, everyone's got one.

It's your opinion that I'm way off the mark, it's my opinion that I'm not. Now fuck off.

12 hours ago, sir roger said:

Thing that impressed me was they avoided the triumphalism from the Oz game & were very low-key and cold-eyed about their performance as if to show they realised it meant very little unless they win the whole thing.

And Itoje had a brilliant match with unbelievable number of turnovers yet just got on with next phase of play. Look Wales and SA capable of big performances no doubt however let's be honest if England do not win it one of their best test performances ever will be for nothing. Win it and it will be seen as one of the best preparations and executions of a world cup plan ever way beyond what Woodward and his men achieved.

On the coaches nationality quite simply you hire the best regardless. England has biggest talent pool competitive leagues and European cup participation. They should be winning the 6 nations and getting to final of world cup on regular basis just needed to deliver. Make no mistake Jones a Klopp like coach minus the likeability factor. Right man for the job.

Guest Pistonbroke
1 hour ago, Chip Butty said:

No easy way of saying this Piston, but you fucking quilt. 

I could have had an extra hour under my quilt mate. 

Guest Pistonbroke
1 hour ago, Chip Butty said:

Looking like its going to be a slugout this for who's going to win this. 

Scrappy as fuck so far, first blood to the Saffas via a penalty.