You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Rugby Union World Cup - Japan - 2019

Bjornebye

42 minutes ago, General Dryness said:

Must have missed that. Maybe it was payback for the clearly forward pass that knocked them out in 2007.

Hehe, I knew you'd bite on that one.

Seriously though, the ABs were on very shaky ground in that final and France could have been awarded a number of kickable penalties near the end of the final but the ref shit out and swallowed his whistle.  It is not a controversial viewpoint as everyone pretty much recognised it at the time.  Not nearly to such a dodgy extent as the ref tried to help the Aussies over the line against England in 2003 though.

Once the All Blacks got over the hump in that final though, after failing as favourites for many tournaments before, then the monkey was off the back and they obviously cruised it last time.  They'll win this one too I think.

28 minutes ago, Jose Jones said:

Hehe, I knew you'd bite on that one.

Seriously though, the ABs were on very shaky ground in that final and France could have been awarded a number of kickable penalties near the end of the final but the ref shit out and swallowed his whistle.  It is not a controversial viewpoint as everyone pretty much recognised it at the time.  Not nearly to such a dodgy extent as the ref tried to help the Aussies over the line against England in 2003 though.

Once the All Blacks got over the hump in that final though, after failing as favourites for many tournaments before, then the monkey was off the back and they obviously cruised it last time.  They'll win this one too I think.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2011_Rugby_World_Cup_Final#Controversy

"However, former French referee Joël Jutge analysed footage from the game, and decided that 17 out of 24 times Joubert made the correct decisions, believing that four 'incorrect' decisions favoured the All Blacks and three favoured the French."

It's all a matter of opinion, it certainly shouldn't be stated as fact.

3 hours ago, General Dryness said:

You were KopOut before weren't you. I recall you being a bad bellend during the last RWC.

Its not healthy to be so bitter about a sports team. Maybe you'd be better off in blue?

Yes, I was and I still am KopOut. It's not unhealthy to mock your rivals. Reds mock 'The Bitters' all the time. I thoroughly enjoy watching 'the Manure' implode, since the retirement of A.F. Bitter? No.

I lived in Australia for 7 years, and I've been a fan of Australian rugby since the late 1970s. I watched and was entertained greatly by the rise of the great Wallaby sides of the 80's and 90s, as well as early 2000s. It's more of an underdog thing - as well as a style thing. Traditionally, Wallaby rugby is fast running 'open' rugby, whereas the ABs would grind out the win in the forwards. 

Clearly I've struck a nerve ;-)

We all have our favourites. 

3 minutes ago, Red Shift said:

Yes, I was and I still am KopOut. It's not unhealthy to mock your rivals. Reds mock 'The Bitters' all the time. I thoroughly enjoy watching 'the Manure' implode, since the retirement of A.F. Bitter? No.

I lived in Australia for 7 years, and I've been a fan of Australian rugby since the late 1970s. I watched and was entertained greatly by the rise of the great Wallaby sides of the 80's and 90s, as well as early 2000s. It's more of an underdog thing - as well as a style thing. Traditionally, Wallaby rugby is fast running 'open' rugby, whereas the ABs would grind out the win in the forwards. 

Its not "striking a nerve", its not even mocking. All you do is make snide remarks.

Mock and sledge to your hearts content. Just don't be a snidey twat.

26 minutes ago, Red Shift said:

It's more of an underdog thing - as well as a style thing. Traditionally, Wallaby rugby is fast running 'open' rugby, whereas the ABs would grind out the win in the forwards. 

Decades ago maybe. I’d say the All Blacks have been the best attacking open team for the last 25 years.

Probably since that World Cup match when they got walloped by the swashbuckling French and decided after that they needed to be less boring.

5 minutes ago, Jose Jones said:

Decades ago maybe. I’d say the All Blacks have been the best attacking open team for the last 25 years.

Probably since that World Cup match when they got walloped by the swashbuckling French and decided after that they needed to be less boring.

Two words. Forward pass.

Wayne fucking Barnes, the blind prick.

Guest Pistonbroke
13 hours ago, sir roger said:

Hope they do , but don't see Ireland beating the All Blacks.

Note PB's comments above but sometimes a long lay-off can be harmful , like us in the CL Final.

It's not such a long lay off mate, plus in Rugby that extra week is huge in players getting over knocks. OK, the Aussies will also rest a lot of players against Georgia later, but they'll still have to play a few key players and Georgia may be a bit on the shit side but they are a physical team. Not sure why Red Shift is so confident that the Aussies will prevail against England, on current form the Aussies are capable of losing to any of the top teams. 

Guest Pistonbroke
1 hour ago, sir roger said:

Obviously hope you are right PB and it will help with the likes of the Vunipolas and Nowell recoveries.

I noticed that Australia fielded a strong team against Georgia and played shit. I reckon we'll thump Australia if we get off to a quick start, might be a different story if we start sluggish and lose our discipline. The Aussies discipline has been atrocious during this WC. 

Guest Pistonbroke
2 minutes ago, General Dryness said:

Bump. Anyone watching this?

Early penalty for the convicts, but England have just scored a try. And converted.

Yeah, Aussies look good when they play quick ball, but then so do England. 

May gets another Try as type, great play by Slade though. 

I know the Aussies looked good in defence in that one phase of play, but it was down to one big hit, I reckon their defence is to be got at here. 

Farrell also has his kicking boots on today.