You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The Weakness of The Working Class

Dougie Do'ins

6 hours ago, skaro said:

If you're not too concerned about the newspaper's political bent, upgrade to The Times or Telegraph crosswords, for instance.

Cryptics are difficult, but, corner an old Irish bloke in most pubs - like I did 30 years ago - and they'll give you the pointers on it.

Mind you, comrade, I could be preaching to the converted.  You might be getting The Guardian, Times, Independent, Telegraph crosswords out before lunch every day.

In which case, fair play to you.

If VI is doing the same Mirror crossword as myself it will be the very difficult General Knowledge one , I don't think the others you mention are similar & I am absolutely hopeless on Cryptic ( Interestingly , on Politics Today it was mentioned that Bletchley Park actively recruited partially by seeing who could solve cryptic crosswords )

• 3 weeks later...
On 16/09/2019 at 23:11, AngryofTuebrook said:

Who then donate to the Tory Party, to keep their goldmines safe from pesky taxes.

The very rich do that.  I am talking about normal people buying places in central London under the right to buy scheme in the late 90s that are now worth a lot more than that.  The right to buy sceheme, allowed some, to pick up properties for extremely cheap prices, way under market value.

The areas that really saw the value increases for ex council properties would have been more Labour than Tory.

They would not be donating at this level and probably wouldn't be employing advisers with regard to tax either.

On 20/09/2019 at 17:12, sir roger said:

If VI is doing the same Mirror crossword as myself it will be the very difficult General Knowledge one , I don't think the others you mention are similar & I am absolutely hopeless on Cryptic ( Interestingly , on Politics Today it was mentioned that Bletchley Park actively recruited partially by seeing who could solve cryptic crosswords )

Yep,the 'Quizword' as its called. More of a general knowledge type crossword than traditional.

• Upvote 1

On 07/10/2019 at 12:23, VladimirIlyich said:

Yep,the 'Quizword' as its called. More of a general knowledge type crossword than traditional.

The only reason I sometimes buy the Mirror,for the quiz word but The Times and Telegraph are the best cryptic crosswords for me though it’s expensive getting the former everyday, my paper bill is just under £15 a week but I need that cryptic fix each day and glad I learnt myself how to crack them , to a certain degree of success.

General Knowledge ones are good too.

• Upvote 1

• 4 weeks later...

"We'll get nothing unless we get up of our arses and fight for it. But we wont will we ? We'll just keep on lapping it up while the rich get richer and we get poorer."

Capitalists are Selfish. However, communists are lazy and selfish. Discuss.