You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The Weakness of The Working Class

Dougie Do'ins

6 hours ago, Dougie Do'ins said:

Ah well. Yet another thread descends into a steaming pile of shite.

I genuinely started this thread thinking it may be something we could all relate to regardless of what way people voted in the referendum or their political alliances.

IMHO, I don't see this so called trolling that people see with Rico. OK so his political views might differ from others but so what ? This place would be a lot duller if there was no alternative view points.

As with Rico, I honestly didn't get the abuse Boss was getting. Another one seemingly on the other side of the fence but I thought he always communicated well and I don't remember him resorting to trading insults.

Get a fucking grip you shower of cunts.

Totally fair enough and good stuff, Mick.

On 16/09/2019 at 02:26, Dougie Do'ins said:

The system that's allowed us to get into the fucking state we're in. 

Barry Wom made a great point recently. Something like, 'we've changed from a nation built on industry to a nation controlled by financiers'.

I think the financiers thing is so true.

And if I'm honest (and alright lads, give me a kicking) I don't think globalisation and free trade and things like the EU - a block of countries collectively beholden to the Rothchilds/Rockefellers/unrestricted/open slather/global/law-unto-themselves private banks of the world - have helped the working class at all.

The world is basically enslaved by debt to private financiers/powerbrokers and it really only benefits them, bureaucrats and a select few insanely rich and powerful invidividuals. Like the Murdochs of this world.

Brexit being championed by clueless, self-interested Tory cunts... and Trump himself being a class A, self-interested, clueless cunt of course -  both of these might not be palatable because of political cuntery and fucked-up personal morality... but, economically, protectionism brought about by a more insular national policy may not, and has not in the past perhaps, been quite such a bad deal for the working class, maybe, as what free trade and globalisation offer now.

I have an English lawyer mate who doesn't want Brexit because he wants to continue being able to eat Danish bacon.  Does he give a fuck about a corner shop family-owned butchery in Salop?  Dunno.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, General Dryness said:

Right, its just that you did say "anybody", and I took that to include me as Section seemed to think I was pointing the finger at him.

I’m saying anybody who did it is wrong in my view, but I didn’t and still haven’t read your post on it. Sec is boss. Rico isn’t. 

On 15/09/2019 at 16:24, Dougie Do'ins said:

What the fuck has happened to us ? How have we let ourselves become so fucking downtrodden and apathetic ? We're continually fucking shafted at every given opportunity and we do fuck all about it. It makes me fucking sick. 

Thatcher has been out of power for 29 years and dead for more than six of them yet we're still in the grip of what she did.  

People are depending on food banks for survival that we make the donations to while £300m + can be found to put new plumbing into Buckingham Palace.

Banks and financial institutions are allowed to bring the country to it's fucking knees and get richer on the back of it because we bail them out.

MPs and their fucking second homes and expenses scandals.

Those poor fuckers in Grenfell Tower still waiting to be rehoused.

Homelessness on the increase.

HS2 and the ever increasing costs.

Fuck knows how much to repair the houses of parliament.

Retirement age upped.

The NHS in shreds.

The emergency services on their fucking knees.

The justice system is a fucking joke.

I could go on but what's the fucking point ? The shit will continue to be thrown at us and we'll just continue to lap it up. 

What has happened to the will to fight for ourselves and our rights ? Rights that previous generations fought for and and some cases made the ultimate sacrifice. 

We could have 20 years of a Labour government but nothing will really change, because the people with the real power wont allow it. 

We'll get nothing unless we get up of our arses and fight for it. But we wont will we ? We'll just keep on lapping it up while the rich get richer and we get poorer.

The people of Hong Kong have put us to fucking shame. 

I can't pretend to know the answers or all of the reasons. But I'll have a damned good go.

Shame, yep there's no shame. This along with the breakdown of community has enabled people to get away with what they want with little or no consequence. As a kid on an estate everyone around us knew me, if I was doing anything wrong I'd hear "I'll tell your mother" and if they did I'd get a hiding. These days the person knocking on the parents door have more of a chance of getting the hiding.

Young girl gets pregnant years ago, then she's whipped off to some relative god knows where to save the family shame. Not feet up and as much catalogue gear and sky tv as they can handle for 18 years. 

Getting a job was a proud moment for a young person back then, I remember handing over my first pay packet as a kid. I was 14 and packing shelves at the co-op, they gave me cash in a wage packet. It felt good, most kids back then had little jobs on the milk or delivering papers.  

It's not all the fault of people, companies want to make more each year and consider it a loss if they do not. Automation has robbed us of jobs, factories shut down and moved to China. Today's factories are call centres and the like on minimum wage. 

Somewhere it all went wrong with house prices and rent. I can't remember what twats scrapped the fair rents but I'd wager it involved landlord politicians wanting more cash. My kids all work and yet they struggle to get by. My eldest married with two kids and bringing in two wages that are considerably higher than the minimum wage. Yet they are crippled by nursery fees and after school fees. 

My youngest daughter desperately wants to move out and get a place of her own, she can't afford it. She looks at many of her old friends that are single with many kids to different fathers who live in big houses and have all the latest stuff. There's little incentive for some to work, can you change that mindset overnight? I doubt it. There's an entitlement to free cash now, years ago there certainly was not. 

There's no respect for the police. Used by governments as a private political force and used to milk motorists over the years people mainly despise the police. They are too busy these days visiting the public for wrong think to visit scenes of crimes or try to do a bit of what we used to think of as police work. 

Working people until they die is something out of George Orwell's Animal Farm. When I started work people that retired usually died within a few years. That lump of cash taken from my wages (I was told) was for my retirement or if I was off sick or lost my job to tide me over. Somewhere along the line (correct me if I got this wrong) someone spent the pension fund on shit.

Successive governments spent time lining their own pockets instead of planning for that boomer generation to retire. Trying desperately to ensure votes instead of dealing with running the country and making sufficient plans. Whatever your views on global warming, climate change or whatever the fuck they are calling it now, the boomer generation getting old was something they have known about for decades and yet nobody did a thing. Instead they shove up the retirements age so that if the tories and that twat Smith gets his way will mean we work until at least 70. 

No matter which side of the fence you sit on Brexit, you are probably not a racist or a bigot. You are just someone with a different viewpoint. If anything good has come of the shambles it's that we now can see quite clearly that our government and all of those politicians are not fit for purpose. If your side wins then be assured that at some point in the future your side won't and there will be nothing you can do about it then. 

I doubt anything will be done to change society, who would trust the tories to do that. They only pick on the weak and defenceless because they won't riot. There are tough decisions to make, nobody will make them because they do not want to lose votes. One day it will all come crumbling down, wether by society collapsing by natural causes or economical. I do know that if there's a shit hit the fan event 99% of the population couldn't exist, not being able to charge their phones or tell the twitter how they feel would be the end of them. We have become weak, selfish and self centred. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

35 minutes ago, φαίνω said:

Young girl gets pregnant years ago, then she's whipped off to some relative god knows where to save the family shame. Not feet up and as much catalogue gear and sky tv as they can handle for 18 years. 

That would be a top-rated comment in the Mail Online. 

From the few teenage mums I know, I can see that life is no fucking picnic - but at least they aren't outcast, ostracised and abused the way young single mums used to be. It's a subjective thing, like, but I don't actually feel nostalgic for an age of abuse.

• Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

From the few teenage mums I know, I can see that life is no fucking picnic - but at least they aren't outcast, ostracised and abused the way young single mums used to be. It's a subjective thing, like, but I don't actually feel nostalgic for an age of abuse.

I'm not actually suggesting they are ostracised I'm drawing a comparison between ages ago and today. I'm not calling for a return to that, but likewise the situation today is not really great is it. Both extremes have no place in my opinion. 

Will it change, nope it will probably get even worse. Hundreds if not thousands of issues need attention and nobody wants to take it on. In fact I doubt anyone now could. 

Just to clarify, I am stating what it used to be like in many aspects of society years ago. I am not suggesting they were some utopia we should be looking to return to. A sort of we've gone from this to this, and the solution rests elsewhere and the causes are many just not one thing.

Daily Mirror readers want a return to the old ways, which I do not agree with at all. 

1 minute ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

I agree, but I do agree with the overall sentiment of the post.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, φαίνω said:

I'm not actually suggesting they are ostracised I'm drawing a comparison between ages ago and today. I'm not calling for a return to that, but likewise the situation today is not really great is it. Both extremes have no place in my opinion. 

Will it change, nope it will probably get even worse. Hundreds if not thousands of issues need attention and nobody wants to take it on. In fact I doubt anyone now could. 

Just to clarify, I am stating what it used to be like in many aspects of society years ago. I am not suggesting they were some utopia we should be looking to return to. A sort of we've gone from this to this, and the solution rests elsewhere and the causes are many just not one thing.

Daily Mirror readers want a return to the old ways, which I do not agree with at all. 

Daily Mirror readers are the same as Scum readers,they only want to read about 'celebs' and gossip and bullshit like that. The fact that the mirror pretends to be left leaning but just fills its pages with mostly petty and mundane garbage and is part of the same industry that protects the current establishment of apathy and no action to change,makes it no different than the other horrible rags within the same media industry. Its readers (I used to be one but only now use it for crosswords) are drawn from the same demographic as all of its so called competitors.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, VladimirIlyich said:

Daily Mirror readers are the same as Scum readers,they only want to read about 'celebs' and gossip and bullshit like that. The fact that the mirror pretends to be left leaning but just fills its pages with mostly petty and mundane garbage and is part of the same industry that protects the current establishment of apathy and no action to change,makes it no different than the other horrible rags within the same media industry. Its readers (I used to be one but only now use it for crosswords) are drawn from the same demographic as all of its so called competitors.

If you're not too concerned about the newspaper's political bent, upgrade to The Times or Telegraph crosswords, for instance.

Cryptics are difficult, but, corner an old Irish bloke in most pubs - like I did 30 years ago - and they'll give you the pointers on it.

Mind you, comrade, I could be preaching to the converted.  You might be getting The Guardian, Times, Independent, Telegraph crosswords out before lunch every day.

In which case, fair play to you.

7 minutes ago, skaro said:

If you're not too concerned about the newspaper's political bent, upgrade to The Times or Telegraph crosswords, for instance.

Cryptics are difficult, but, corner an old Irish bloke in most pubs - like I did 30 years ago - and they'll give you the pointers on it.

Mind you, comrade, I could be preaching to the converted.  You might be getting The Guardian, Times, Independent, Telegraph crosswords out before lunch every day.

In which case, fair play to you.

Morning Star only for me comrade.

• Like 1