You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Featured: That was the week that was (Sep 6-13 2019)

tlw content

theweekthatwas.jpg

Saturday Sep 7:

Gini was the star of the show as Holland beat Germany 4-2. He scored and had a stonking game by all accounts. He’s got a bit more licence to attack in their system than he does in ours, although he does have those occasional games for us where it seems like he’s been given free reign to get in the box, and when he does he usually makes it count.

Funny how quickly things can turn around though. It was only a couple of years ago the Dutch seemed to have been slumping. They had their worst team in years, while the Germans were flying high and winning tournaments. Now, the Dutch are suddenly resurgent and have beaten the old enemy a couple of times of late. It helps when you’ve got the best defender in the world too, obviously.

Meanwhile, on Instagram…. Remember I said the other week how any time Paddy Berger posts a picture I get stressed if Vladi isn’t there? Well it’s been happening a lot lately, he’s popping up all over the place doing various fun things, and all I can think is “Where’s Vladi?” Well I saw this today and initially I was wigging out, but then it hit me…

paddy.jpg

…Vladi is taking the photos! I feel so much better now having convinced myself of that.

Sunday Sep 8:

Yerrrssss, Virg has agreed to a new deal and contract extension. Wait, no he hasn’t. Fuck knows where that story came from but the Grim Reaper James Pearce has shot it down as being bollocks. His contract still has four or five years left anyway, so there’s no need to be doing anything about it. 

Might not hurt to offer him a payrise though, just to let him know his efforts are appreciated. Sometimes it’s hard to believe we actually managed to get him. I mean, he would walk into any team in the world, and even back when we signed him he had offers from teams that we’re in a better situation than us. He could have gone to any of the top teams in this country, but he only had eyes for us. I’d love to know what Klopp said to him when they met in Blackpool.

Also today, Fowler comes to the defence of Salah and says “Everyone commenting and talking nonsense about being “greedy” or destroying team spirit, have they never watched football before?,” said Fowler. “Because you can’t be a ­top-class goalscorer without total belief you will score.”

That’s true, but Salah is no Robbie Fowler. By that I mean he’s not as clinical a finisher. Robbie could do it with both feet or his head, and he could do it from two yards or forty yards. There’s a difference between wanting to score goals and being greedy. I never saw Fowler as greedy, and I don’t see Salah as being greedy all the time. Most of the time he isn’t. He just has these days though, where it’s as though he gets it in his head that he has to score no matter what and he becomes selfish. 

You can’t defend what he did at Burnley and Mané had every right to be pissed off. Bobby had even more right, but he’s just not as arsed about how many goals he scores as Sadio and Mo. Healthy competition is fine, but it can easily cross a line if it’s let unchecked. Salah and Mané will be fine I reckon though. Klopp will make sure of it.

This is just a teaser, click to view the full article

Please note that the Week that Was is only available to website subscribers. Subscriptions cost just £2 a month (you need to register first) and can be purchased here. 

• dave u pinned this topic

"I like him as a pundit, I often feel like he makes points that others might not have and he’s good at providing insight from a striker’s perspective"

Yeah, analytical gems such as  'When they don't score, they hardly ever win' and 'That would have been a goal had it gone inside the post'  are what BTSport pay him the big money for.

This be the Truth:

"Paul Scholes is an urban myth. He got better with every year he didn’t play. When he was playing nobody, absolutely nobody, spoke of him as being the best midfielder in the league. Hell, when he was playing, he was hardly ever described as the best midfielder at his own fucking club. The he retires, that little crab Xavi made a comment about Scholes being his best opponent and suddenly his reputation sky rocketed. This whole bizarre narrative has only come about in recent years as history has been rewritten.

"Anyone who says Scholes was the best midfielder of his generation is just trying to make themselves sound more knowledgeable than your average Joe, who would say Gerrard, Vieira, Keane or even Lampard. Really, talking up Scholes just makes you sound like a cunt who is trying too hard. The people spouting this shite about Scholes will almost certainly be the same gobshites who tried to tell everyone that Michael Carrick was the most important player in United’s title winning sides."

Fucking hell Josef may as well just print the rest of article in the comment section!

Spot on about Scholes though.  I think the mancs didn’t like the thought of Gerrard being the premier leagues best midfielder so spent the last few years of his career talking shite about Scholes.  His lack of appearances in the team of the years show how he was rated at the time.

I agree on the Fowler thing but I do remember in the 2001 cup final he could have played Owen in for a hat trick but clearly didn’t fancy that as Owen had taken his spot and the needle between the two of them had already begun.  I remember thinking at the time he was out of order.

That’s how I was in those six months too as I had to listen to my dad constantly moaning about him. Funny thing was, I had Emile’s back at the point. A couple of years later I hated him even more than my dad did.

Yeah - but you didn't hate him as much as Ron who sat behind us did! Ron would having a go at Heskey in the warm-up.  We thought we get a "rest" from the moaning when Emile left - but then Ron started picking on Dirk Kuyt.  It was priceless when Dirk scored the late winner in the FA Cup at the Kop end against United! Actually shut Ron up!

Totally agree on Scholes. Most overrated player of all time for me. I've got a few Manc mates who are forever using Xavi and a few other old pros opinions on him to claim he was better than Gerrard. I'm hardly an expert on United's history but I can't recall one big game that he has had a major impact on. If he had I'm sure I'd remember as it would have done my head in at the time. He clearly wasn't shit and I remember him having decent games and also scoring a few worldies against bums but can't recall him taking a big game by the scruff of the neck and dragging them to victory in the way Gerrard did countless times.

• dave u unpinned this topic