You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Napoli (A) Champions League 17/9/19. 20:00

Bjornebye

Guest Pistonbroke
Just now, viRdjil said:

In hindsight Klopp made a mistake not replacing Moreno. Complacency seems to be creeping in Robbo’s game. Didn’t think he had it in him, but he has had an average start to the season.

Nah, Robbo has been fine, I think starting both Henderson and Milner was a slight error, they don't offer enough going forward and slow the play down, our front three were having to drop deeper to get into the game far too much. Fab was working overtime with those two alongside him. 

Fucking hell, our hardest game in the group and a horrible place to go. We will win the rest of our games in the group and go through at a canter. 

That game saw a lot of mistakes and it might sound daft but Klopp highlighting areas we let ourselves down in back at Melwood could stop them happening in more important games. 

Fuck Napoli. 

5 minutes ago, TK421 said:

Not a wind up.  I don't rate him. 

Which is fair enough. He’s no Alisson, that’s clear, and it’s debatable whether or not he’s good enough to be our number two long term.

But to say he was shite tonight and that everything went through him is just trolling.

Edit: That said, the match threads are the place to let out some steam and say some stupid things. I’ve at least done it myself many times, and probably will again.

Adrian could probably get set a bit earlier for the second goal, if we're being extra critical. He's unlucky with the pen. I think we can attribute a tiny bit of blame to him for it finishing 2-nil rather than 1-nil.

But, if we're playing blame game after a first defeat in yonks (which is a fucking ridiculous thing to do, in my opinion) then we need to look at Robertson, TAA, van Dijk and the front 3 more than Adrian. 

But, that's that, we lost. On to the next one. We're still the reigning European champions and top of our domestic league. Drink it in. Enjoy it. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, Joey8FrogsLegs said:

Which is fair enough. He’s no Alisson, that’s clear, and it’s debatable whether or not he’s good enough to be our number two long term.

But to say he was shite tonight and that everything went through him is just trolling.

Well, he got a strong hand to the penalty having gone the right way so that went through him.  I reckon he would be disappointed not to have saved it having done the hard part.  The second goal literally seemed to go through him.

Not trolling.  

1 minute ago, Bjornebye said:

Fucking hell, our hardest game in the group and a horrible place to go. We will win the rest of our games in the group and go through at a canter. 

That game saw a lot of mistakes and it might sound daft but Klopp highlighting areas we let ourselves down in back at Melwood could stop them happening in more important games. 

Fuck Napoli. 

Just came on to post the same.

If i could pick one game to lose at the start of this season this would be it. We will win our home games and pick up at least another win out of the other two away.

Focuses the mind for the weekend too, take it out on the rentboys.

We actually played a lot better as a team in this game than we did in the same fixture last season, and yet it's the negatives that will be talked about.

Though we played better, the front 3 were all below par. All had decent chances but the link-up play was less fluid. Bobby's all round game was almost the complete opposite of his masterclass at the weekend. I said after the Burnley game that this passing/not passing thing between Mo and Sadio has been blown so far out of proportion that in one of the forthcoming games, one or the other will try to pass when going it alone might have been the better bet. And so it was when Mane brilliantly won the ball in his own half and charged forward with Mo in support. If he'd drawn and gone past the last defender he would have had the option to shoot or pass. This time he chose the pass and made a complete Jon Walters of the chance. It looked awful from every angle.

Then you've got two of our most reliable defenders making crucial errors. Robertson waved his leg and gave the ref a decision to make when Callejon went over. Before VAR those were always given so it wasn't a shock that Felix Brych gave it and it wasn't overruled by VAR. Adrian got his hand to Mertens' penalty but couldn't keep the ball out. He'd made an excellent save earlier in the half to deny the same player. Then in stoppage time, Van Dijk gets himself in a muddle and plays a dangerous pass back that is too far beyond Robertson, doesn't have enough on it to reach Adrian, and is perfectly into the path of the lurking Llorente, and like that, the game has a scoreline that doesn't reflect the overall state of play.

A word on Napoli and especially that cry-arsing midget Mertens. They can all fuck off with their card waving antics and Neymar rolls.

Not the best start and we require a bounce back like we did against Barcelona when we had to claw back a deficit following a defeat that didn't reflect the performance. We've got Salzburg next and they got a great result tonight. Cunt them in the bastard and rip Genk apart like we know we're capable of, and then the group picture looks a lot rosier.

• Upvote 2

Just now, Joey8FrogsLegs said:

One question comes up after tonights game. Does the Van Dijk mistake prove that he’s actually human? Or was it done on purpose just to give the impression that he is?

He's prone to the odd lapse in concentration because the game comes so naturally and easily to him.  Other than that, he's flawless. 

3 minutes ago, Joey8FrogsLegs said:

One question comes up after tonights game. Does the Van Dijk mistake prove that he’s actually human? Or was it done on purpose just to give the impression that he is?

It was on him tonight. I'd go Lovren and Matip on Sunday. 

• Upvote 2

18 minutes ago, Pistonbroke said:

Nah, Robbo has been fine, I think starting both Henderson and Milner was a slight error, they don't offer enough going forward and slow the play down, our front three were having to drop deeper to get into the game far too much. Fab was working overtime with those two alongside him. 

He wasn’t great tonight IMO, I maybe reading into this a bit too much, but without actual competition for his spot, he can actually afford to not be on top of his game all the time.

Guest Pistonbroke
1 minute ago, Jordy Brouwer said:

We actually played OK in that game I'm not sure what some people are on. Napoli are a good outfit. We got skull fucked by the ref. 

The referee had a good first half but kind of went off the rails in the second. He gave them a few free kicks which were correct but decided to book Robertson which was a bit uncalled for. Mo was taken out a few times and he just waved play on. The penalty incident I can understand why he gave it as in live play it was an instant thing and he was conned by the dive. The German official on VAR should have told him it was a dive, but as we have seen in the PL this season, officials tend to back each other up at times which renders VAR useless. 

1 minute ago, Pistonbroke said:

The referee had a good first half but kind of went off the rails in the second. He gave them a few free kicks which were correct but decided to book Robertson which was a bit uncalled for. Mo was taken out a few times and he just waved play on. The penalty incident I can understand why he gave it as in live play it was an instant thing and he was conned by the dive. The German official on VAR should have told him it was a dive, but as we have seen in the PL this season, officials tend to back each other up at times which renders VAR useless. 

Whats the harm in checking VAR? What, it adds like a minute?