You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Peak Torres or Peak Suarez

Bjornebye

Peak Torres or Peak Suarez   

76 members have voted

1. 1. Peak Torres or Peak Suarez

I know I will disagree with 95% of this forum. But Torres for me. 

Suarez was an absolute animal. Unreal. Could win games on his own for fun. 

Torres though.... at his peak for that 18 months for us..... Was fucking boss. 

People say Suarez in a Klopp side would be perfect but imagine Bobby dropping back and us having Torres as a 9. 

I get more joy from watching Torres goals on youtube than I do Suarez goals and I saw enough of them live to make that decision. . 

Neg away. 

• Downvote 1

You can make a pretty compelling argument that evaluating them purely as attackers, it's very close.

But Luis will always come out ahead when you look at it comprehensively. Torres was unbelievably good at playing on the shoulder of the last man, he could do absolutely everything there - pass, dribble, score. But that's really the only thing he was good at.

Suarez, on the other hand, was unbelievably good at everything. He defended from the front almost like Bobby does, he was a fantastic passer from deep, his attitude and desire to win made everyone else around him better, and then he was also as good at the pure striking duties as Torres was.

Of course, you also have the fact that Suarez was so good that every time he stepped onto the pitch in 2013/14 you just knew he was going to drag the team around him to victory, even if it was full of the likes of Skrtel, Lucas, Glen Johnson, Flanagan and Mignolet. Torres, while certainly a great player himself, had the good fortune to be playing with a much better supporting cast.

• Upvote 3

Peak El Pistolero was majestic. Defences could not afford to switch off for even one moment, and he raised the performances of players around him. That said, the 18 months of El Nino at his peak saw a player that was also a joy to watch.

I always wonder how the team might have fared if we'd kept Torres until at least summer 2011 after having signed Suarez in January, and not signed Carroll at all. Under Kenny, Torres found an uplift in form (maybe he was playing for a move) and had begun to look dangerous again.

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, Trumo said:

Peak El Pistolero was majestic. Defences could not afford to switch off for even one moment, and he raised the performances of players around him. That said, the 18 months of El Nino at his peak saw a player that was also a joy to watch.

I always wonder how the team might have fared if we'd kept Torres until at least summer 2011 after having signed Suarez in January, and not signed Carroll at all. Under Kenny, Torres found an uplift in form (maybe he was playing for a move) and had begun to look dangerous again.

Torres was still playing shite before he moved he was just scoring.  Those things don’t always go hand in hand and if you play shite for long enough the goals eventually dry up and don’t come back.  There were plenty of people predicting his demise (maybe in hope to be fair) when he left.  It was very similar to the Sanchez situation.  Everyone burying their head in the sand to how poor he’d been just going on about what a class player he was.  Personally I don’t think we would have signed Suarez if we hadn’t sold Torres.

8 minutes ago, The Guest said:

I don’t understand the obsession with “moving Bobby back” I’d rather have Firmino than either of them snakes playing up front.  He makes the whole side tick and he’s irreplaceable.

Can you not picture it, though?  Bobby dropping back to thread them through to Torres. With Salah's diagonal runs being ignored he becomes increasingly frustrated and forces through a January move to PSG.  The knock-on effect from a dysfunctional attack adds pressure onto the midfield and defence, we start shipping goals, drawing games we should have won, losing games we should have drawn, the fans want Klopp out and he duly obliges by taking an early retirement.  Dreamland, right there.  

One Suarez goal in particular always stands out to me.

Carrow Road.

Suarez misses a good chance, and the crowd are giving him stick.

Camera zooms in on him, and you can see he's beating himself up.

The 'keeper plays the goalkick short to the fullback, who plays it inside to the centrehalf.

Suarez is on him like a flash, nicks the ball off him, nutmegs him for good measure, and then bends it around the keeper with the outside of his right foot!

About 8 seconds between kickout and goal being scored.

Absolute genius.

• Upvote 2

Suarez in his final season was nothing short of magical. Not just the number of goals, as that has been bettered before and since, but the sheer outrageous quality of the goals, skill, vision and desire that was on display all season. I hate him now like, but the cunt deserved a PL medal that season. Beast mode.