You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The Snooker

Bjornebye

He's the greatest absolutely no doubt about that. He's competed against a harder circuit than Hendry did over the years. Hendry is a great no doubt but Ronnie is the greatest. I think he was before this win but this seals it. Can absolutely see him getting an 8th. 

• Upvote 3

22 minutes ago, Edward. said:

Oldest person to ever win it. I used to thing Ray Reardon was in his 60’s funny how much younger people look now.

Yeah was shocked when it was said tonight. I thought Reardon was ancient in the 70's! 

33 minutes ago, Edward. said:

Oldest person to ever win it. I used to thing Ray Reardon was in his 60’s funny how much younger people look now.

Ye. Although when Ronnie played Higgins in the semi I didn’t realise they are both 46.

Higgins looks about 10 years older than Ronnie .

Ronnie's dad turning up in a beanie hat, sports shorts and a North Face coat. Smart.

It's weird that he didn't win the World's until 2001 - 8 YEARS after first winning his first UK. As Hendry said after the match, Ronnie should have won more than 7. 

Even Murphy congratulated him so fair fucks to him for that.

I'm surprised he's carrying on, but up to him, he has nothing left to prove.

Can deffo see Trump winning a few more, even though he got beat that was a very mature performance. I think he's more comfortable in himself as a player now.

5 minutes ago, Josef Svejk said:

I thought O'Sullivan and Trump were going to get a room afterwards. That prolonged hug was quite erotic... 

They're in the right sport, with pockets, balls and long sticks everywhere.

1 hour ago, johnsusername said:

Ronnie's dad turning up in a beanie hat, sports shorts and a North Face coat. Smart.

It's weird that he didn't win the World's until 2001 - 8 YEARS after first winning his first UK. As Hendry said after the match, Ronnie should have won more than 7. 

With his talent he should have 10 titles at least by now. If his head wasn't fucked in his teens and much of his 20s he could have had a few more titles already. 

6 hours ago, Baltar said:

With his talent he should have 10 titles at least by now. If his head wasn't fucked in his teens and much of his 20s he could have had a few more titles already. 

Maybe but then I'm sure you could say that about a lot of players. I would say he has done pretty well in managing those demons, he has clearly suffered mentally in several ways at the hands of snooker yet has strung up a huge array of ranking titles despite the anguish it's caused him through the years and played through anyway. He clearly absolutely loves snooker and hates it in equal measures. You'd say his longevity is pretty much unprecedented, except it's also happened with Higgins and Williams!

I guess my point is yes maybe he could have won more with his talent, but similarly a lot of troubled genius' don't achieve a fraction of what he has in the game.  I thought his composure was staggering, I can't think of a better example in sport of someone overcoming so many mental challenges and coming out this successful. Maybe Tyson Fury? But Ronnie has battled himself for 30 years and that has always been his toughest opponent.

• Upvote 3

11 hours ago, Baltar said:

If anything his head was more fucked in his late 30's. He's got to be the greatest British sportsperson of all time surely? 

Just now, John102 said:

Where would you put him? You think he is greater than (In no particular order) Hamilton, Lewis, Calzaghe, Redgrave, Kenny, Hoy, Farah, Taylor?

Probably yes. 30 years is a long time to be consistently one of the top players in any sport. 

• Upvote 1