You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The Snooker

Bjornebye

1 minute ago, Bjornebye said:

Just came on to post this. Don't hold back Ronnie ffs ! 

To be fair he’s not wrong.  I watched two lads I’ve never heard of last night and they were shocking.  It was only interesting because they’d had murder earlier on and you could see they were both desperate not to lose.

I think it's hard - if (like me) you lived through the 80s, 90s and 2000s you've really been spoiled through two generations of golden snooker. 

I think everyone thought it would just get better and better, but really there's now a massive dip in quality. Judd Trump came through on his own really. 

The wave of talent from China hasn't really appeared like it was going to. 

1 minute ago, johnsusername said:

I think it's hard - if (like me) you lived through the 80s, 90s and 2000s you've really been spoiled through two generations of golden snooker. 

I think everyone thought it would just get better and better, but really there's now massive dip in quality. The wave of talent from China hasn't really appeared like it was going to. 

Spot on. Judd is probably the last really really good player to come through. The asian lads and the likes of Kyren and Lisowski just don't really have the bottle to do it when it maters. Talented players no doubt but you know the business end will always have the likes of Higgins, Ronnie, Williams..

3 minutes ago, Captain Turdseye said:

Can’t help but feel Ronnie has set himself up for a mighty fall with those comments last night. 

Yeah it would be funny if he got through this then got schooled by Maflin or McGill in the final 

20 minutes ago, sir roger said:

Given it is a sport that basically relies on hand and eye co-ordination and requires its participants to be anti-social and stay inside for hours on end I am surprised we haven't had a 13 year old winner at the Crucible yet.

Those early years of Hendry he looked about 8! 

• Upvote 1

It's also difficult to take anything Ronnie says seriously - he's the most talented snooker player in history, I'm not sure he understands how difficult everyone else finds it. He's a freak and not very empathetic. It's like "why aren't any of you as good as me?"

Also, you never know if what he's saying is what he really thinks. He'll often say he barely practices - but do you believe him? I'm not a big fan of the way he belittles the game sometimes. 

Saying all that, I really like his analysis on Eurosport, he's clearly a student of the game even if sometimes he wants to come across as the class clown. 

4 minutes ago, johnsusername said:

It's also difficult to take anything Ronnie says seriously - he's the most talented snooker player in history, I'm not sure he understands how difficult everyone else finds it. He's a freak and not very empathetic. It's like "why aren't any of you as good as me?"

Also, you never know if what he's saying is what he really thinks. He'll often say he barely practices - but do you believe him? I'm not a big fan of the way he belittles the game sometimes. 

Saying all that, I really like his analysis on Eurosport, he's clearly a student of the game even if sometimes he wants to come across as the class clown. 

He is an arrogant twat but thats ok. Some of the stuff he comes out with is just bollocks said for impact. 

2 minutes ago, Lee909 said:

Ronnie buckling under the pressure a little there. 

I've got Kyren v Judd on as its further down the line. 1 apiece since the restart. 11:7 Kyren. I'd love him to knock Trump out. 

I'm all in on wanting Williams to win the whole thing now though although I have a feeling it will be Selby.