You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Sancho for Salah/Mane

aRdja

Sancho or Mane or Salah  

68 members have voted

1. 1. Which one?

• Sell Salah and bring in Sancho
    • Sell Mane and bring in Sancho
    • Keep both and reject Sancho

1 minute ago, Trumo said:

As well as Sancho has done so far, he's still just a promising player and doesn't yet provide as much goal threat as either one of Sadio or Mo. I'd rather Sancho be an addition to the squad rather than a replacement for anybody.

Exactly. Remember when Martial was going to be one of the best ever. 

• 2 months later...
On 11/09/2019 at 11:07, viRdjil said:

Summer 2020, a massive offer comes in from Real Madrid; they’re happy to pay £200m for either Salah or Mane to complete their forward line, they’re not bothered which one, as they’re both brilliant.

At the same time Jadon Sancho expresses an interest to join us, and Dortmund are willing to let him go for £150m. John Henry calls you and ask for your 2 cents... What do you say?

I'd tell him we use pounds and pence in this country and if he wants my tuppence, he better ask properly

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Remmie said:

I'd tell him we use pounds and pence in this country and if he wants my tuppence, he better ask properly

Given Nightcat used to respectively call him and Werner “The former woman and the potato”, I’d say he already had a tuppence of his very own.

12 minutes ago, Remmie said:

I know he's supposed to be decent but where are these mental figures coming from? What sort of numbers is he getting?

53 goals + assists in 74 games at a big club in a major league before he's turned 20 is real impressive. Plus the fact he's so young and English means he's at least 100m.

Guest Pistonbroke
6 minutes ago, Remmie said:

I know he's supposed to be decent but where are these mental figures coming from? What sort of numbers is he getting?

No way is Sancho going for anything more than 100 million. Dortmund have had a poor season, especially of late. Sancho has still been one of their better players mind. He's scored 5 goals and made 11 assists this season but has also struggled in certain games to make an impact. Guess the fact he'd probably go to a top club should he leave Dortmund means his price would be close to the 100 million mark, especially if a bidding war ensued. Realistically it should be around the 70 million mark, and I'm being generous there. 

He was benched against Barcelona because he missed a Team breakfast and apparently a lot of Dortmund fans are getting on his case as he seems an easy target being young and English. They see him as someone who doesn't love the club and is angling for a move anyway. I can see the rumours about him wanting out to have some substance, especially because Dortmund could use the money for him to strengthen in other areas which they need to. 

5 minutes ago, Pistonbroke said:

No way is Sancho going for anything more than 100 million. Dortmund have had a poor season, especially of late. Sancho has still been one of their better players mind. He's scored 5 goals and made 11 assists this season but has also struggled in certain games to make an impact. Guess the fact he'd probably go to a top club should he leave Dortmund means his price would be close to the 100 million mark, especially if a bidding war ensued. Realistically it should be around the 70 million mark, and I'm being generous there. 

He was benched against Barcelona because he missed a Team breakfast and apparently a lot of Dortmund fans are getting on his case as he seems an easy target being young and English. They see him as someone who doesn't love the club and is angling for a move anyway. I can see the rumours about him wanting out to have some substance, especially because Dortmund could use the money for him to strengthen in other areas which they need to. 

Man United will pay £150M even if Dortmund insist on £100M.

• Upvote 3

Guest Pistonbroke
8 minutes ago, Baltar said:

Man United will pay £150M even if Dortmund insist on £100M.

Hahaha, you never know. The thing with Sancho is that a lot of his Market Price is based on potential and the fact a lot of clubs (especially in the PL) are interested in his services. When he has been used for England at international level you can see the drop off in performances compared to that at Dortmund. If you watch him in the CL against better opposition it's the same. He's quick and has the potential to be very good, but there will be a ? hanging about him whichever club he joins, if that is to be the case. 60-70 million would be worth a risk, maybe's even 90 in today's market. 100+ million would be madness imo. 

Guest Pistonbroke

Let's just say for the sake of things Klopp will be given 100 million to spend in January. (although unless they bring forward our summer budget I can't see that.)

Does he spunk it all on Sancho who realistically would only be cover for Mo or an option to bring on as a sub. Potential yes, immediate influence on the way we play, no. 

Does he buy in a versatile defender and forward for that money (probably enough for a M/F as well) thus strengthening the squad for the run in and also with an eye on the season thereafter. Yes, all day long. 

We do our business very well now. If Klopp really wants him, I'm sure he'll get him in January or in the summer.

£100m has to be put in the context of us spending nothing over the last year, churning loads in through a range of new and greatly boosted revenue streams and somebody like Harry Wilson probably being a £35m asset. Sell Grujic too and we're probably more than halfway to whatever Sancho would cost. 

Why can't Madrid pay £100m for Firmino instead? 

Oh yea, because he's nowhere near the ability of Salah and Mane, and yet we all pretend he is.

He's scored 20 goals in all comps since August last year, that's 16 months. 

This Sancho fella may be talented, but he's not close to being on the £100m+ scale. 

I'd rather get Timo Werner.  

The lad Werner has it all.

He's the youngest player ever to reach 200 appearances in the Bundesliga, he's a machine, hardly ever injured. 

He's scored two hat-tricks already this season.

He's got 76 Bundesliga goals at age 23.

I wonder if we might be able to offer Keita back to Leipzig as part exchange.  Lovely player but plainly not at the fitness and strength levels to succeed here in the PL.  We should hit the reset button on this, and see what else we can do in that midfield department.  

• Downvote 4

56 minutes ago, Colonel Bumcunt said:

Why can't Madrid pay £100m for Firmino instead? 

Oh yea, because he's nowhere near the ability of Salah and Mane, and yet we all pretend he is.

He's scored 20 goals in all comps since August last year, that's 16 months. 

Amen. Firmino is good but he’s not Salah/Mane good. Neither should be available at any price. There’s only really Sterling in all of world football who is comparable in those positions. You can shove your fat fraud Eden Hazards too with 1 goal in 13 games. Anyone coming in should be to strengthen those 2 not replace. Tack on 2 more years with Ronaldo done & Messi faded and you’re looking at 2 on the top 5 players in the world (to go with VVD). We should be looking to push for another 2 CLs in the next 5 years - not sell our best mid-peak.

We will sign Sancho and keep all of our front-three and move to a 4-2-3-1 and be unstoppable.

I do in all seriousness think there’s a decent chance of it happening. We would already have moved to a 4-2-3-1 had we signed Fekir as initially planned. And, we did use it with Shaq for a third of last season with very good results, even though he lacked the consistency to keep his spot.