You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Fekir: There were excuses made over failed Liverpool transfer

tlw content

Nabil Fekir has opened up about the transfer that wasn’t, believing that there were a number of lies told along the way.

The French international was on the verge of a dream move to the Reds last summer, but with everything virtually signed,sealed and delivered the negotiations were suddenly ended due to Liverpool’s concerns over a long standing knee injury.

However Fekir believes that it was a convenient excuse to not go through with the deal.

Sky Sports (via L’Equipe) reported Fekir as saying:

“ There was an incredible amount of lies told about it. 

“Everything that has been said about my family in particular. It hurts them, as it hurt me.

“You want the truth? Even I do not know it, I assure you. 

“I did my medical examination and, behind, they decided not to sign me.

“At one point, they wanted me to believe it was the knee. But it was an excuse and medical tests passed at Clairefontaine were very clear.

“What irritated me was that by trying to advance this pseudo-physical problem, it ruled out chances with other clubs that were potentially interested, while there are other players who have experienced the same injury and it did not prevent them from returning to a normal trajectory.

image.png

However Fekir who signed for Real Betis in the last transfer window does not hold it personally against the Reds.

I have no bitterness towards Liverpool. 

“They showed me that they really wanted me. But behind, when you do not surround yourself with good people, it hurts you."

However, Fekir’s former agent Jean-Pierre Bernes placed blame squarely at the feet of the former Lyon captain.

“He has to stop this show and stop taking people for fools. Everyone knows what happened.

“The transfer to Liverpool has turned around for two reasons. The first is his knee, even though the English club's leaders were willing to make an effort on this.

“The second is the appearance of a foreign pseudo-representative who asked for the negotiations to be resumed from the beginning at the moment of signing.”

All clubs have a player or two who have slipped through the net when everything seems on track.

But despite being a good player, it seems entirely reasonable for the club to have pulled out of the Fekir deal if they detected a problem, as that is just good due diligence.

View full article

It was a shitty situation for him and he's not too bitter given the circumstances. I agree with him that our decision to pull out undoubtedly had an effect on other clubs' interest. Would have loved him here if he'd passed the medical. Anyway, hope Spain all works out for him and that he scores winning goals against Real and Barcelona.

On 11/09/2019 at 10:31, El Rojo said:

It was a shitty situation for him and he's not too bitter given the circumstances. I agree with him that our decision to pull out undoubtedly had an effect on other clubs' interest. Would have loved him here if he'd passed the medical. Anyway, hope Spain all works out for him and that he scores winning goals against Real and Barcelona.

He did score against Barcelona. Sadly, they lost 5-2.

If the deal was called off because some new faces turned up wanting a slice of the pie after all agreements had been made already, then Liverpool were well within their rights to do so. I'd imagine that the club has looked at the amounts shelled out in agent fees and decided that latecomers who've had no input up to then should not be trying to fleece the club out of more money.

• Upvote 1

The thing is, it's hard to see what the club really had to gain by pulling out, if they didn't have to. We wanted Fekir, we had money earmarked to pay for him, we spent (wasted) time scouting him and negotiating, rather than pursuing other players. That's why I'm inclined to believe the deal was scuppered by something done on the Fakir's side.

6 hours ago, Reckoner said:

It’s funny how everyone takes the clubs side. I know people don’t like it but the club is a well oiled PR machine and will happily sacrifice players reputations to protect themselves. With Duncan it was all the agents telling lies, with Fekir we all now believe the agent?

Well,based on the efficient way we've done business in recent years I'd say the club knew how the deal should have been conducted and obviously smelled a rat. Unusual in recent transfer deals.

On 12/09/2019 at 16:00, SasaS said:

The thing is, it's hard to see what the club really had to gain by pulling out, if they didn't have to. We wanted Fekir, we had money earmarked to pay for him, we spent (wasted) time scouting him and negotiating, rather than pursuing other players. That's why I'm inclined to believe the deal was scuppered by something done on the Fakir's side.

Possibly the club were alerted to Alison’s availability and pulled out of the fekir deal for that reason. 

On 12/09/2019 at 13:28, Reckoner said:

It’s funny how everyone takes the clubs side. I know people don’t like it but the club is a well oiled PR machine and will happily sacrifice players reputations to protect themselves. With Duncan it was all the agents telling lies, with Fekir we all now believe the agent?

Apart from the manager and the players I rarely take the club's side, however in this case it's clear from Fekir's own comments that he has no ill will towards LFC, quite the opposite, and that it was the people behind him that were the problem. 

• 4 weeks later...

Still disappointed that he's not here since he's a proper talent but if he's bringing extra baggage then we can do without. Not to be racist but - racist statement obviously incoming - French players of an Algerian background do tend to cause a bit of aggro.

6 minutes ago, Baltar said:

Still disappointed that he's not here since he's a proper talent but if he's bringing extra baggage then we can do without. Not to be racist but - racist statement obviously incoming - French players of an Algerian background do tend to cause a bit of aggro.

Like Zidane or Mahrez?