You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

GE2019 result

Sugar Ape

GE2019 result  

46 members have voted

1. 1. GE2019 result

• Large Labour majority
    • Small Labour majority
    • Labour led coalition
    • Large Tory majority
    • Small Tory majority
    • Tory led coalition

1 hour ago, Sugar Ape said:

Corbyn would only be able to muster up a majority with the 21 Tories who lost the whip the other day. There is absolutely no chance they would prop Corbyn up as caretaker PM until 2022. 

Neither will the Lib Dems. 

The SNP might prop up labour in return for another Scottish referendum.  

4 minutes ago, Barry Wom said:

The SNP might prop up labour in return for another Scottish referendum.  

Not in this parliament they won’t as they’re well short of a majority. 

Edit: I was responding to Skend who seemed to be saying Corbyn would lead a government in this parliament and they wouldn’t call an election.

Why would anyone, with any long term goals for a Labour government, think it's a smart move for Corbyn to roadblock Brexit? He'll be losing 50% of the voting population outright. Scotland is controlled by the SNP. NI is split between Sinn Fein and DUP. You'd have Corbyn essentially squatting in number 10 to filibuster Brexit. It would be monumentally disastrous for his own popularity and the popularity of the party. Corbyn was better off staying out of it. 

7 minutes ago, MegadriveMan said:

Labour don't necessarily want to roadblock Brexit.

I think their strategy will be to negotiate a new Brexit deal, then put it to the public in a Remain vs their deal vote.  

Well they do. That's why they are roadblocking no deal and why they also roadblocked May's deal. 

1 hour ago, Sugar Ape said:

Not in this parliament they won’t as they’re well short of a majority. 

Edit: I was responding to Skend who seemed to be saying Corbyn would lead a government in this parliament and they wouldn’t call an election.

Oh they'd need more than the snp now of course. But if Corbyn is to get pm without an election, it'll be to deal with the EU extension and then call a GE, he won't get to implement anything. 

7 minutes ago, Barry Wom said:

Oh they'd need more than the snp now of course. But if Corbyn is to get pm without an election, it'll be to deal with the EU extension and then call a GE, he won't get to implement anything. 

Yeah I think that goes without saying. It was just Skend saying Corbyn could form a government now until 2022 if Johnson loses a vote of no confidence that I disagreed with. There’s no chance of that happening.

15 hours ago, MegadriveMan said:

Labour don't necessarily want to roadblock Brexit.

I think their strategy will be to negotiate a new Brexit deal, then put it to the public in a Remain vs their deal vote.  

I’m absolutely 100% remain, but seeing only people who voted for Brexit “no matter what” are currently getting what they voted for (ie £350m per week won’t be going to the NHS, Immigration won’t fully curbed, we won’t be accepting  millions of people from Turkey and there won’t be more opportunities with the rest of the world) that’s the way it should be. 

You’d hope the fact that people are more aware of what Brexit means & that Leave was mainly built on lies, would mean common sense will prevail a 2nd time round. 

17 hours ago, Boss said:

Why would anyone, with any long term goals for a Labour government, think it's a smart move for Corbyn to roadblock Brexit? He'll be losing 50% of the voting population outright. Scotland is controlled by the SNP. NI is split between Sinn Fein and DUP. You'd have Corbyn essentially squatting in number 10 to filibuster Brexit. It would be monumentally disastrous for his own popularity and the popularity of the party. Corbyn was better off staying out of it. 

Why would anyone, with any long term goals for a Tory government, think it's a smart move for Johnson to railroad No Deal Brexit? He'll be losing 50% of the voting population outright. Scotland is controlled by the SNP. NI is split between Sinn Fein and DUP. You'd have Johnson essentially squatting in number 10 to force through No Deal Brexit. It would be monumentally disastrous for his own popularity and the popularity of the party. Johnson was better off staying out of it. 

I am not saying you are wrong but both situations are essentially the same but being sold completely differently, IMO.

On 08/09/2019 at 16:40, Sugar Ape said:

Exactly what people used to say about UKIP. Under PR they’d undoubtedly win seats. Under FPTP they’ll massively struggle. 

Like I said though, if either the Tories or Labour are the biggest party but don’t have a majority or are unable to form a coalition then they’ll never form a government. The other parties will no confidence them straight away and they’d never be able to pass any legislation. 

One way or the other, even if it takes another election, we’ll end up with one of the six options in the poll imo.

Not necessarily. A minority government could very well lead us through Brexit and also through various bills on a vote by vote basis. 

• 1 month later...