You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Featured: That was the week that was (Aug 31- Sep 6 2019)

tlw content

theweekthatwas.jpg

Saturday Aug 31:

Burnley 0 L 3. Terrific win that. We made a difficult fixture look like a stroll in the park. There aren’t many fixtures I look at these days and think ‘this has the potential to go wrong’ but this was one of them so it’s brilliant seeing the lads take care of business with no real problems.

I actually went to this one, which is rare for me as I don’t do many aways these days. I really enjoyed this though, not least because Turf Moor is a dump. I mean that in the nicest possible way though. It was refreshing going to a ground that actually felt like a football ground. It’s full of character and it felt like stepping back in time. give me a match day experience like this as opposed to going to Boro, Bolton, Sunderland, Wigan etc

Not sure about the pub called ‘The Royal Dyche’ though. Even had a picture of Dyche’s face photoshopped onto a King’s head. Mad. I’d have taken a photo but it was a ‘home fans only’ pub and the locals hanging around outside didn’t look the friendliest.

The only blemish on the afternoon was Sadio’s tantrum after being subbed. I think it says everything that virtually everyone I’ve seen commenting on it is completely on his side and understood his frustration. Mo was bang out of order there today.

No doubt all the stattos will be out in force though telling us how the numbers disprove the notion that Salah is greedy. Fuck that, I know what I see with my own eyes and stats can’t disprove anything when it comes to things like this. I don’t even care if they show that Salah passing to Mané is the top combination between our forwards (not that they will, I’m just saying) because no matter how many passes he may have made, stats aren’t going to show the times he should have passed and didn’t.

Mo can be a right greedy bastard at times. Not all the time, not even most of the time, just some of the time. There are occasions when you can see he’s just decided that he’s going to get himself a goal and he won’t let anything stand in the way of it. Today was one of those occasions and he’s lucky that Sadio and Bobby didn’t actually make more of it than they did, because if he was pulling that shit playing alongside Suarez all hell would have let loose. Just ask Sturridge.

If he’s got a clear sight of goal on his left foot I have no problem with him backing himself. When he’s ignoring unmarked team-mates to drag it back onto his and trying to force things though, that’s not on. Klopp should have subbed him because at 2-0 he was playing for himself, not the team. That’s probably what Mané was saying.

Sunday Sep 1:

Just read today that Seb Coates (remember him?) had himself a right Jon Walters yesterday. He plays for Sporting now, and he gave away THREE pens and was sent off in the same game. Amazing. His manager was probably like…

RevolvingInconsequentialDorking-small.gif

Oh, I was right about the stattos defending Mo. Seen loads of shit flying around today to try and show he’s not greedy, and like I said yesterday none of those numbers mean a damn thing. Nobody is saying he NEVER passes or that he doesn’t contribute to other people scoring goals. Of course he does. This desperation to show he isn’t occasionally a selfish bastard though is cringeworthy. 

You can shove your stats when it comes to this. For example, he got an assist for Bobby yesterday even though what actually happened was he was dribbling and over-ran the ball, taking him away from the goal, only for Bobby to run up and lash it in the net. The most ludicrous assist at Turf Moor since the ball his Aquilani on the back and Stevie smashed it in from 30 yards.

There were two occasions yesterday when what Salah did was actually pretty fucking scandalous. Is there a stat for ignoring a wide open team-mate and instead trying to go with a very low percentage effort on your weak foot? If there is, Mo would lead the league in that, or at the very least he’d be putting pressure on Harry Kane.

It’s not a big issue, but it is an issue and there’s nothing wrong with admitting it. His desire for goals is part of what has made him so successful, but he needs to balance that with what’s best for the team. I bet there’s not much that can make Sadio lose his rag, so if that was me that had made him so angry I’d be having a long hard look at myself. Imagine making Sadio mad.

This is just a teaser, click to view the full article

Please note that the Week that Was is only available to website subscribers. Subscriptions cost just £2 a month (you need to register first) and can be purchased here. 

• dave u pinned this topic
11 minutes ago, Paul said:

Fuck Walters, the bad Tory prick. 

He does come across great in that show he does with Kelly, but the above is the thing holding me back from saying he's alright. That tweet he put out back in the day was bad. Not as bad as Karl Henry's ones, but it's not something I can just forget about.

18 hours ago, dave u said:

He does come across great in that show he does with Kelly, but the above is the thing holding me back from saying he's alright. That tweet he put out back in the day was bad. Not as bad as Karl Henry's ones, but it's not something I can just forget about.

What tweet?

Regarding Owen, I thought that LFC were interested in getting him back, but didn't want to pay any more than the £8 million (the price LFC sold to him to Madrid for) and then the madhead Souness went and offered £16.8 million and scuppered everything - especially as Owen was, by then, desperate for regular first team football leading up to the 2006 World Cup.

• dave u unpinned this topic