You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Keep

Captain Howdy

1 hour ago, Mook said:

Kick them fucking out.

Living with your parents when you're over the age of 20 is pathetic. Stick their digs up to £175 a week & that'll get rid of the little shits.

Mine are 1 & 3 years old & I'm already planning their exits.

Our first is due in January and I'm already thinking of offing it to a Far East sweatshop given its nursery is my drum room and my drums are now in storage thanks to it.

Unreal.

• Upvote 3

Guest Pistonbroke
1 hour ago, Captain Howdy said:

One for the older posters on here but if you have kids who are now working adults still living at home what “keep” do you charge, I have three kids, two are working adults who between them contribute the princely som of £60.....per month. It’s starting to generate serious animosity from me but they are backed up by my soft as shite Mrs who seems to think it’s my duty to provide for them unconditionally. What’s a reasonable contribution to expect?

Going through this ourselves at the moment.

Our daughter moved into her own house with her boyfriend so no problems there. Our eldest son who is 19 started a paid apprenticeship at the start of August and had his first pay put into his bank account the other day. He got just over 800€ after deductions and we are taking 200€ off him for keep, I'd say that is fair based on the fact he doesn't have to pay for anything apart from keep. You should have seen the bottom lip on him when we said that though. I said, if you don't like it then find your own place, you'll soon see that the 200€ is nothing compared to what you'll have to give out, especially when the smaller things add up after the rent, like internet/washing/blah blah blah. Not only that, you'll have to do your own washing/cooking/shopping/ironing...he said 'but you don't need the money' to which I replied 'it's a lesson son, you need to realise that running a household isn't as simple or as cheap as you obviously think. ' He'll thank me for it one day. It's not an easy situation though, you have to balance things carefully so they don't go past the huff stage, but if you cave in and let them think they can take the piss you ain't helping them in the long run, they need to learn the value of money. Over here a lot of kids live with their parents well into their late 20's. Hopefully the way we've handled things will see him standing on his own two feet within a few years like his elder sister. She told him about the real world and the cost of running a household, so he's all sorted and grateful for now. The youngest lad is only 12, bless him. I need to teach him about inflation so he knows what to expect. 

Call a family meeting. Tell them that, like Highlander, there can be only one, and that things must change. Make them draw straws. Whoever loses - kill that one. At this point, if one is a girl try to engineer it so she loses (think of the savings on any future wedding costs and what you could spend that money on). Make the other one  dismember the body and bury it in the cellar, to introduce them to the concept of household chores. The remaining child will almost certainly pay whatever you want, and will happily perform that list of household chores you draw up. Jobs a good’un.

While I realise this advice is invaluable, as it’s you, there’s no charge.

• Upvote 5

2 minutes ago, Anubis said:

Call a family meeting. Tell them that, like Highlander, there can be only one, and that things must change. Make them draw straws. Whoever loses - kill that one. At this point, if one is a girl try to engineer it so she loses (think of the savings on any future wedding costs and what you could spend that money on). Make the other one  dismember the body and bury it in the cellar, to introduce them to the concept of household chores. The remaining child will almost certainly pay whatever you want, and will happily perform that list of household chores you draw up. Jobs a good’un.

You've been in family court much too long.

Guest Pistonbroke
1 hour ago, VladimirIlyich said:

You've been in family court much too long.

Paul has the long straw he pulled framed and hanging on the wall as a reminder of his luck and for self motivation.  

11 hours ago, Mook said:

Kick them fucking out.

Living with your parents when you're over the age of 20 is pathetic. Stick their digs up to £175 a week & that'll get rid of the little shits.

Mine are 1 & 3 years old & I'm already planning their exits.

Is that so you can get back to shenanigans like this?

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Anubis said:

And this ladies and gentlemen is why when they finally catch me instead of asking to call my lawyer I'll be asking to PM my legal counsel Mr Anubis esquire. 

£150pm would be a good place to start, Less chance of arguing and trying to haggle when it's already a round number. Unless you want them to haggle, in which case start at £170 and pretend you're doing them a favour by going to £150.

After that start getting them to pay some of their own bills, sky, Internet, their part of council tax etc. 

The decision for their existence is yours. It was you who decided them living in your house would be a neat idea, it was you who got a lob on and it was your misses who cooked them up. If anything they should be charging you for their time and fulfilling your personal needs/aspirations.

1 hour ago, Seasons said:

The decision for their existence is yours. It was you who decided them living in your house would be a neat idea, it was you who got a lob on and it was your misses who cooked them up. If anything they should be charging you for their time and fulfilling your personal needs/aspirations.

You are still living at home aren't you?