You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Manager's banner.

Butch

Should Gérard Houllier be included.   

56 members have voted

1. 1. Gérard Houllier be included on the banner.

10 hours ago, Bjornebye said:

Club legend no doubt but in the pantheon of red greats ? Sorry no

Disagree. Winning five trophies in such a short space of time and turning the club on its head in terms of how the players were trained, how they behaved etc was massive and not forgetting how he almost died putting his heart and soul into it makes me believe he deserves much more credit than he gets.

• Upvote 2

49 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

If he was going to be on it that would have happened years ago

He should have been. I hold him in as high regard as Rafa. Houllier also got us to a CL semi final too,which is not big deal in itself but alongside his UEFA Cup win it put us back among the European elite. He signed a lot of what Rafa won the CL final in Istanbul with and key men who became part of Rafa's own successes. Gave Gerrard his chance and most importantly told Paul Ince to fuck off and don't come back again.

2 hours ago, VladimirIlyich said:

He should have been. I hold him in as high regard as Rafa. Houllier also got us to a CL semi final too,which is not big deal in itself but alongside his UEFA Cup win it put us back among the European elite. He signed a lot of what Rafa won the CL final in Istanbul with and key men who became part of Rafa's own successes. Gave Gerrard his chance and most importantly told Paul Ince to fuck off and don't come back again.

Quarter final.

4 hours ago, VladimirIlyich said:

Agree with this. The UEFA cup in 2001 was a pretty big trophy as well compared to today

Gutted Stig isn't on it with Klopp, he deserves half the credit for last season

• Upvote 1

19 hours ago, Bjornebye said:

Club legend no doubt but in the pantheon of red greats ? Sorry no

A "legend" but not a "great"?

I think that specific flag should have European Cup and League winners on it, but don't see any reason to be precious about managers having other flags.  Why not have a tribute up there, it's only a positive thing. 

49 minutes ago, Pidge said:

A "legend" but not a "great"?

I think that specific flag should have European Cup and League winners on it, but don't see any reason to be precious about managers having other flags.  Why not have a tribute up there, it's only a positive thing. 

Oh he should have this own flag for sure. In-fact I'm sure he has? 

12 minutes ago, VladimirIlyich said:

Yet Benitez only had two seasons of success and he's on it,2005 and 2006.

Benitez won a European Cup, nearly won another one and went closer than Houllier did in the league. There is a big difference between what they both did. 

• Upvote 2

10 hours ago, RobbieOR said:

Benitez won a European Cup, nearly won another one and went closer than Houllier did in the league. There is a big difference between what they both did. 

'Close' is not a measure of success. We don't praise Paisley or Shanks for their runners up achievements,only when they won things. I also think that 2005 happened,in part because of 2001 and the FA Cup success in 2006 was largely down to Gerrard and Houllier introduced him to the first team as well. I think Houllier and Benitez are inextricably linked and its unfair how Houllier is airbrushed out of these debates.

18 minutes ago, VladimirIlyich said:

'Close' is not a measure of success. We don't praise Paisley or Shanks for their runners up achievements,only when they won things. I also think that 2005 happened,in part because of 2001 and the FA Cup success in 2006 was largely down to Gerrard and Houllier introduced him to the first team as well. I think Houllier and Benitez are inextricably linked and its unfair how Houllier is airbrushed out of these debates.

If close isn't a measure of success then we might as well not count anything Klopp did until the Spurs game. 

The fact is, Benitez and Klopp like the others, won and challenged for the biggest trophies in football. Houllier didn't bar a brief title challenge. 

3 minutes ago, RobbieOR said:

If close isn't a measure of success then we might as well not count anything Klopp did until the Spurs game. 

The fact is, Benitez and Klopp like the others, won and challenged for the biggest trophies in football. Houllier didn't bar a brief title challenge. 

I don't agree that 'challenged' means much without actual trophies and Houllier was as many as Benitez. I'm not demeaning Benitez because,like I said earlier,they are linked for me.

48 minutes ago, VladimirIlyich said:

I don't agree that 'challenged' means much without actual trophies and Houllier was as many as Benitez. I'm not demeaning Benitez because,like I said earlier,they are linked for me.

It doesn't but it means something. Because they have been rare the past 30 years.