You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Manager's banner.

Butch

Should Gérard Houllier be included.   

56 members have voted

1. 1. Gérard Houllier be included on the banner.

I think there’s a strong argument for it.

he brought us one exceptional season of enjoyment and success, after drifting a little hopelessly.

he got us into the champions league. A seat at a table we’d not been near for a long time.

ultimately, his legacy fell away after his health problems due to some shit signings, and the football we played became very poor.

if he’d never returned to the club after his heart problems I’d say yes.

all things considered though, it’s a no from me.

those managers all won one or both of the big ones with us. Ged - as fond as I am of him - didn’t.

Ged might not have won us one of the big two, but he did win us 3 trophies in a season as well as qualifying for the Champions League for the first time since English clubs were booted out of Europe. While the team's fortunes drifted following his return from illness, he did sign (and promote) many of the players that formed the bedrock of No5 in Istanbul. I don't think he should be excluded for this reason.

• Upvote 1

I'm inclined to say no, albeit with a heavy heart. I like him a lot and he helped provide some amazing memories during his spell, but I think the fact that he didn’t win one of the big two should prevent his inclusion. I know he got us into the CL, but that was more a consequence of the format changing than a massive improvement over what we’d become accustomed to; after all, we finished 3rd twice under Roy Evans, including in his final season. Barring a strong 01/02, we were usually less of a threat in the Premier League under Gerard.

24 minutes ago, lifetime fan said:

He was a ‘successful’ manager and we badly needed him at the time. 

But this club exists to win the biggest prizes, Ged ultimately failed in that regard. 

Might sound harsh but that’s the standards  this club has set and should never back down from. 

Tell that to Mother Russia over there 

5 minutes ago, VERBAL DIARRHEA said:

Where are our other League winning managers? If that is a criteria, is it only from Shankly onwards? And before anyone says nobody was born then, a lot weren’t born when Fagan managed us, let alone Shanks.

* backs off, feeling vindicated but expecting the worse.

Stringvest takes a flag with William Roscoe on it to the game. 

He shook us up and brought (dragged?) us into the modern era.

To nitpick over specific trophies is harsh on him.

A terrible example I grant you, but Im not sure in future that Chelsea fans will unfurl banners of DiMatteo or AVB after his/their European Cup win.

Benitez should have won more given that squad in 2009

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Pidge said:

Would weirdly feel wrong if he was on it, but at the same time if there was another banner for him it wouldn't...

"Ged is a Red" or something.  2001: Ace odyssey.

Club legend no doubt but in the pantheon of red greats ? Sorry no

• Upvote 1