You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Long service.

TheBitch

3 hours ago, TheBitch said:

I've got £400 to spend because I've been 20 years man and boy at work, I know, I know, I'm an incredible human being, but enough of the plaudits. I think I'll get a coffee maker, so recommend me one please GF.

I've searched other threads but they're old and I'm assuming new models are now available.

Alternatively tell me what else I can buy for £400.

Invest in a mains supplied machine.

Its on my list anyway 

3 hours ago, TheBitch said:

I've got £400 to spend because I've been 20 years man and boy at work, I know, I know, I'm an incredible human being, but enough of the plaudits. I think I'll get a coffee maker, so recommend me one please GF.

I've searched other threads but they're old and I'm assuming new models are now available.

For that money you could probably get a decent bean to cup model

I recently treated myself to one of these - De'Longhi Eletta ECAM 44. Fantastic. I bought it from the Amazon Warehouse as a Like New product during the Prime Day sales, as I got an additional 20% discount on the item. Paid £321.48 for it.

Prior to buying that, I used a good burr grinder - De'Longhi KG79 and Melitta Look with Thermal Jug.

I also own an Aeropress and a couple of other travel grinder/mug combos.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Lizzie Birdsworths Wrinkled Chopper said:

At the risk of temporarily hijacking the thread. Talk of long service gifts has reminded me of an awesome family photo I’d never seen til May. A family friend tracked it down online and had it printed off for my Dad’s sister.

My Granda was head foreman at Middle Docks in South Shields, and that’s him on the left presenting his older brother with an electric blanket for 51 years service. A fucking electric blanket for half a century!

Look at the delighted faces on all his lads. Different world. I swear a couple of them are in that famous photo of Bob taking the league title and big ears back to Hetton-le-hole.

2BE68C01-6545-47F2-9866-FAC2DA2A1C2B.jpeg

Great picture mate. 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, TheBitch said:

A Rancilio Silvia should be around that price. It’s really good, piece of piss to work and clean. Also it’s the Italian sex.

5 hours ago, TheBitch said:

Incidentally, if you'd worked for 20 years for the same company down here, you'd be entitled to long service leave of an extra 18 weeks full pay holiday.

My only main real bit of advice is to jib one with an integrated milk frother, and just get one with a separate steam arm.

The milk containers are a massive pain in the arse to clean, have bits of old crusty milk through the tubes and are also generally a bit shit.

Just get a metal jug and do it yourself.

14 hours ago, TheBitch said:

That pic of your grandad is fucking ace.

Can't spend on clothes, food, fuel or put to a holiday. Fuck knows why. 

Maybe I could get an electric blanket?

Buy whatever the fuck you like for £400 but buy it online where you have your 28 day right of return.

Return it and get your money back, then do whatever you actually want to do with the money.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Captain Turdseye said:

£500 for a coffee machine when you could have a telly with funky lights on the back. What the fuck’s wrong with you?

The funky lights are all well and good but I’ve got a TV. 

I think I’ll get a lava lamp and stick it behind my existing TV thus freeing up the money for a kick ass coffee machine. 

• Upvote 1

The problem is, if you believe this borderline infomercial Tedx YouTube video, that your bean to cup machine will produce inferior coffee if you buy pre-roasted coffee. So you also need to buy a coffee roaster and be able to get a fresh supply of unroasted beans/cherries.