You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The Scottish Football Thread

Bjornebye

9 hours ago, Ronnie Whelan said:

I know for a fact Stevie was a Celtic fan growing up but I admire him for seeing a huge club on it's knees. He is a football man first and foremost and recognised it was too big an opportunity to turn down.

I don't like Rangers and a lot of their fans but i'd have done the same.

Was he? I thought he was a Proddie myself somehow. Maybe I just can't shake off the religion stuff that partly drew me to Celtic as a kid and has just sort of stuck since.

1 hour ago, VladimirIlyich said:

Was he? I thought he was a Proddie myself somehow. Maybe I just can't shake off the religion stuff that partly drew me to Celtic as a kid and has just sort of stuck since.

Cardinal Heenan. Catholic school and he has given a punditry about Celtic Park and the atmosphere. I have no facts that he was ever a celtic fan and can pretty much guarantee he never was. If Ronnie knows more then fine .

Oh and by the way...........

Werner scored two the other night. 

20 hours ago, VladimirIlyich said:

He is a Catholic from what they used to call a mixed family and some of his family are Protestant. He has cousins that played for the Republic of Ireland and he was eligible too (like most of us i suppose in fairness). 

I'm sure like Flanagan the sectarian stuff goes completely over his head though. For me, it's progress though, as you would hope that the religious hatred gets replaced by the madness of a derby.

There is something quite funny about a Rangers manager having a daughter called Lourdes though.

2 hours ago, Ronnie Whelan said:

I'm sure like Flanagan the sectarian stuff goes completely over his head though.

I never quite buy this, you'd have to be living under a rock* not to pick up on that stuff and plenty of Rangers English players have got caught up in it in the past.

* perhaps a gated community where the most substantial external societal presence is X factor on T.V. amounts to this.

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, Ronnie Whelan said:

He is a Catholic from what they used to call a mixed family and some of his family are Protestant. He has cousins that played for the Republic of Ireland and he was eligible too (like most of us i suppose in fairness). 

I'm sure like Flanagan the sectarian stuff goes completely over his head though. For me, it's progress though, as you would hope that the religious hatred gets replaced by the madness of a derby.

There is something quite funny about a Rangers manager having a daughter called Lourdes though.

That topic came up in our house just the other week about his daughter named Lourdes. Highly ironic.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Guest Pistonbroke

10 man Celtic beaten 2-0 away to Livingston. If Rangers beat Hamilton at home they'll go 2 points clear at the top and have a better goal difference. I prefer Celtic, but surely it's good for Scottish football that Celtic are being challenged again and of course it is good for SG and his young career in management.