Quantcast
Van Dijk: It has been a long road but that is part of my journey - FF - Football Forum - The Liverpool Way Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
TLW

Van Dijk: It has been a long road but that is part of my journey

Virgil Van Dijk was given due recognition for his outstanding body of work over the past 12 months when he won the UEFA Men’s player of the year for 2019.

The big Dutchman who has been a colossal figure in the heart of the Liverpool defence since arriving from Southampton, claimed the award in a select field ahead of Lionel Messi and Cristiano Ronaldo.

The margin of victory for Van Dijk was substantial as he tallied 305 points which was 98 ahead of Messi while Ronaldo was a distant third of 74 points.

Sadio Mane and Mo Salah followed with 51 and 49 points respectively.

The award is voted by the managers of the 32 Champions League and 48 Europa League clubs, along with 55 journalists from the member associations of UEFA.

The Ballon D’Or is awarded on similar lines, this time international coaches, captains and journalists give their vote.

While you can take nothing in life for granted, judging by the margin of victory for this award, there is a fair chance that ‘big Virg’ will be adding to his individual honours list in December.

Speaking after the ceremony, the Official site(via UEFA) reported Van Dijk as saying:

”(It feels] Fantastic. It’s been a great year and obviously, to get recognition for what we did last year is stunning.

“It’s down to everyone at Liverpool, everyone that is helping me along the way as well so it’s great”

Van Dijk also reflected on his personal journey to this special moment.

“It's been a long road but that's part of my journey, it's part of who I am.

“I needed it like this, I'm not a player who was 18 years old and had that rise straight away.

“ I had to work hard for every step of the way – that's part of me and I'm very happy about that.

“I'm very proud to get this trophy and it's all credit to everyone that's helped me along the way.”

vandijk1.jpg

Jurgen Klopp was understandably delighted for his defender.

“Brilliant! It’s really big. I wanted to call him immediately but he had to go on stage. 

“I’m so happy for him; I’m happy for us as well because he knows that without the boys around him, he cannot win that prize. 

“It’s a prize for all of us – but we send our big man there to get it. It’s big. It’s really rare for a defender. It’s such important information for football, such an important sign for football. 

“Yes, we all love goals – we want to score them and see them – but more and more and more people get excited about defending. 

“Virg is an exceptional defender, in the moment 100 per cent the best defender in the world, so he deserves that prize absolutely. 

“It’s now the icing on the cake of the Champions League campaign last year. It’s really big and I’m completely happy for him and his family."

It was not the only award for Van Dijk on the evening as he picked up the Champions League Defender of the season while Alisson was selected as the best goalkeeper.

View full article

• Upvote 1

Thoroughly deserved,  to win by that margin just shows  what an influence he has had on this team .

The best defender in world football by some distance and he plays for us .

It's the kind of signing the Mancs would have made years ago and we would have been signing Maguire and claiming he was better but deep down we would know he was 2nd best to Big Virg how times change

Thank God Jurgen held out for him I suppose that's what you get for having a world class manager in charge. 

• Upvote 2

I don’t think I’ve been as made up to have a player of his calibre at Liverpool for a long long time , also couldn’t be more happy with our defence of which he obviously improved with his presence of mind , and influencing those around him.

So yes things are looking good, with things at the back seemingly sorted , it’s took a long time though .

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Available Subscriptions

• Last Match Report

• Latest Posts

• Send them down if they can't comply.    Can't take any risks Lives before football and all that
    • Jürgen Klopp has spoken of his true joy in getting his squad back together for full-scale training ahead of the resumption of the Premier League season on the 17th of June.

The Reds stand on the cusp of a deserved title victory, needing just two more wins from their remaining fixtures to clinch number 19.

Rather than making up for lost time, Klopp told the Official site that he is taking a methodical approach.

“We could work on all the things we wanted to work on. 

“The first week was already really good with the small groups, I enjoyed that as well, because it was just important to get on track again, to get used to the pitch and ball and boots and all that stuff. 

“And now we work on tactical things, that works really well.

“We don't have to be match-fit now.

“We try it with increasing intensity, day by day, but we have to be fit on the 19th or 20th, whichever day they will give us against Everton, I think. 

“That’s the moment when we want to be at 100 per cent."

Once the season resumes in earnest, it will be the best part of three months since a competitive match was played.

In that time, players have been able to give their mind and body a rest, but with everything set to be condensed, the manager feels one season will roll into the next.  

“It is a roundabout three weeks until the resumption.

“That is good. We want to use that and we will. It’s our pre-season; how I said, we don’t expect a long break in between the seasons, so this is a very important period for us.

“We never had nine weeks without football training in our lives – since we played football, pretty much. That’s all different but interesting as well.

“We enjoy the situation, that’s really all good. 

“And it makes all the difference for us, to be honest, to come together and have this hour or two here together.

“You get this contact, feedback as well on the pitch directly, not via a computer or a screen. It's a massive, massive lift."

The next step in the process is the actual dates of when the remaining fixtures will be played.

Klopp says that is something the whole squad is looking forward to hearing about.   "Now of course, it’s more and more interesting when we play where, the times are really important because we will see how we can organise the travel stuff.    "So, the situation keeps us busy, that’s absolutely OK.   "But on the pitch everything is fine, that’s really great.   "Around, we organise it as good as possible and use the situation.”      

View full article
    • Must have got some stick, it's been deleted now! But they're the senior club, dont you know?
    • Haha,woodison struggling to make the necessary requirements to stage games when the league resumes!   A number of Premier League clubs face a race against time to ensure their stadiums comply with new biosecure regulations being considered by top-flight officials. Ahead of football's planned return on June 17, clubs will be presented with a framework for their grounds in an attempt to minimise the spread of Covid-19 among those inside. Insiders say the proposals — yet to be presented — may cause substantial logistical issues for those with older or more compact homes.  Grounds such as Goodison Park, Turf Moor, Vicarage Road and Selhurst Park could struggle to comply with the regulations and may need extensive work to ensure they meet the criteria. The need for social distancing and ensuring areas are sterile will be at the forefront of the guidelines. And at certain grounds, teams may be asked to enter the field of play separately to minimise risk.  And while there is a confidence that those affected will be able to make the necessary amendments, the issue presents another barrier to overcome before matches can be held at their original venues. The Premier League declined to comment. But it is understood that following on from the early apparent success of new measures surrounding training grounds, similar protocols will be introduced in stadiums.  On Saturday, the top flight reported their latest test figures with zero positives. And they are understandably keen to try to minimise risk at stadiums. 'It's a set of measures that will form a biosecurity criteria,' a source explained. 'It is still being worked on but a lot of it will be similar to what has happened at the training grounds. 'That said, some of those with older and tighter stadiums may have their work cut out. 'The last thing the Premier League want is for football to return and for the grounds not to be as secure as the training grounds — and that is what this is all about. 'It may end up costing clubs quite a bit of money to ensure they comply, but it will happen.' A key area surrounds the layout of dressing rooms, and clubs with older stadiums will face a complex challenge. Players are being told to shower when returning home from training. A solution to how this will work after games will have to be found.   https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/sportsnews/article-8374677/Race-against-time-Premier-League-clubs-grounds-ready-return-action.html  
  • Latest Round Up

• Popular Contributors

• Football Betting Site Betway
  • Footstock
  • Online Bingo