You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Nike deal

On 27/07/2020 at 20:27, The Gaul said:

Out of interest, because I have no idea, how many shirts a day do they make? And then what's a living wage where they're being made? 

Sorry bud, didnt see this until now. Not sure as most of the report is behind a paywall.

21 hours ago, No2 said:

I haven't read the report, just a headline that the jerseys are made for 70p. Its bollox.

It's not the jerseys are made for 70p. It's the workers get paid an average of 70p for each shirt they make.

• Upvote 1

49 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

It's not the jerseys are made for 70p. It's the workers get paid an average of 70p for each shirt they make.

70p for each shirt is shit if they make 1 a day. If they make 100 then £70 a day is a different picture altogether.  Its all relative but I would bet the quantity is a lot close to the latter number.

6 hours ago, No2 said:

70p for each shirt is shit if they make 1 a day. If they make 100 then £70 a day is a different picture altogether.  Its all relative but I would bet the quantity is a lot close to the latter number.

70 quid for making 100 shirts in a day is still shit and not a different picture altogether. Are you having a laugh? It's fucking slave labour rates whichever way you look at it.

Next season's PL match ball. It's got some grooves in which supposedly make it better in some unfathomable technical way (but in reality mean it will behave erratically in the air and make goalkeepers look stupid).

nike-premier-league-20-21-ball-1.jpg

46 minutes ago, Trumo said:

Next season's PL match ball. It's got some grooves in which supposedly make it better in some unfathomable technical way (but in reality mean it will behave erratically in the air and make goalkeepers look stupid).

nike-premier-league-20-21-ball-1.jpg

Looks like it's made with offcuts from part worn Hankook tyres!

11 hours ago, dockers_strike said:

70 quid for making 100 shirts in a day is still shit and not a different picture altogether. Are you having a laugh? It's fucking slave labour rates whichever way you look at it.

70 quid a day is the same as the UK minimum wage. 

12 hours ago, dockers_strike said:

You do know the cost of living and annual salaries in China? 70 quid a day on a 5 day week would be around £17,500. The top average wage on this region by region chart would be below this amount and around £15,000. It would seem highly unlikely Nike are making shirts in Beijing. Almost everything we buy in life is made in the far east because of this. This is not unique to Nike. I would imagine anyone sewing clothing in this country would be earning just national minimum wage, which is less than 9 quid an hour and just £78 per day on an 8 hour day. So before we say Nike are good or bad we need some context rather than a random headline banner of 70p a shirt, which sound shit, but actually may be a really reasonable wage and deliver a fine quality of life to the employees. 

Screenshot_20200730-093254.jpg

1 hour ago, The Gaul said:

You do know the cost of living and annual salaries in China? 70 quid a day on a 5 day week would be around £17,500. The top average wage on this region by region chart would be below this amount and around £15,000. It would seem highly unlikely Nike are making shirts in Beijing. Almost everything we buy in life is made in the far east because of this. This is not unique to Nike. I would imagine anyone sewing clothing in this country would be earning just national minimum wage, which is less than 9 quid an hour and just £78 per day on an 8 hour day. So before we say Nike are good or bad we need some context rather than a random headline banner of 70p a shirt, which sound shit, but actually may be a really reasonable wage and deliver a fine quality of life to the employees. 

Screenshot_20200730-093254.jpg

Seriously, you're going to use that argument? So if a worker in the UK produces 100 pairs of jeans for 70 quid a day, that isnt slave labour rates because the average pay for manual work in the UK is about 350 a week?

Come on.

57 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

Seriously, you're going to use that argument? So if a worker in the UK produces 100 pairs of jeans for 70 quid a day, that isnt slave labour rates because the average pay for manual work in the UK is about 350 a week?

Come on.

I don't even know what you're on about now. The minimum wage in this country is around 75 quid for an 8 hour day. That's just fact. We had an incident here just weeks ago where sewing machinists in Leicester were getting paid less than half of that. The cost of living is significantly higher here. So if someone is working on £70 per day in China, I would guess they're doing alright unless they live in Beijing or Shanghai.

However, we don't know where these workers are. We don't know how much they're earning. All you shared on the subject is a headline grabbing 70p per shirt. There is zero context around it to work out if it is good or bad. But if as suggested they could do 100 shirts a day (so on an 8 hour day that'd be about 12 shirts per hour which doesn't seem unreasonable assuming they're just stitching up ready made parts and we're not expecting them to hand embroider a liverbird), they would earn around £17.5k per year. The national average wage in China is £9k per year. So they would be earning 90% above the national average. The UK national average wage is £35k per year, so that £17.5k in China is the equivalent of earning £66k per year here. Amongst their Chinese compatriots, their standard of living would seem good. 

However, we don't know how much they get paid per day. We don't know where they live. We don't know their working conditions. We literally know nothing. So if you have an argument that we shouldn't import ANY products from countries with a low cost economy, let's have that discussion. However, we all use goods made in China every day. Our last shirt was made in Thailand where the national average wage is below that of China. We have goods made in these regions not because of their expertise, but because labour is cheap and worker rights is low. I believe this to be a bad thing, but is the very basis of our entire economy, not just LFC and Nike. 

I am 100% confident Nike get their kits made as cheaply as possible. I am equally confident other major manufacturers would and do behave the same. And those that don't would probably like to, but don't have the same scale to achieve the savings Nike, NB or Adidas can.

• Upvote 3