You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Nike deal

1 hour ago, No2 said:

@Bad Red Bull That's it, wasn't sure if it was an individual thing.

Nah, it's a generic one. Good deals to be had as it works on their sale stuff too!

As for our new jerseys, what's the fitting like on the normal (not player fit) one? Is a Large like a normal European Large, or is it a more Asian fit?

4 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

This. Every year.

Dave said something recently about the kits not being designed for us, but rather for youngsters who are much more likely to buy the stuff. Considering our Nike deal is geared more than most towards optimising sales, it makes sense to create stuff they believe will sell, aimed at the very people who are most likely to buy it. The recent suggestion is that, despite critiscism from the likes of us, the Nike stuff is flying off the shelves. I'm not fond of using weird colours and designs but if we were being very rigid about the choice of colours, the people who buy the stuff would be less inclined to do so.

For me, the one thing I would want to ensure is that Nike don't faff about with the home kit the way they have for the likes of Barcelona (hoops, gradients, checks etc) and Inter (zig zags). Just a nice deep red with a bit of unobtrusive white trim (can throw in a bit of gold or silver for that creative touch). As long as the away kits are designed so the players don't struggle to see each other, or don't have ill-considered kit clashes (all dark shirts like Warrior gave us in their first year), and don't end up festooned with sponsor's logos, I can make my peace with the artistic licence they take on the away kits.

It's hard to come up with 3 new designs every year. I said it a few weeks ago but I think Nike should follow the example of their kits for the 1998 World Cup (and Euro 2000). Each of their teams had their own design which was used for all the kits. No two teams shared a design. This thought process I think would focus their designers and lead to creative designs that aren't so far out there. I think they would still sell well too.

1 hour ago, Trumo said:

Dave said something recently about the kits not being designed for us, but rather for youngsters who are much more likely to buy the stuff. Considering our Nike deal is geared more than most towards optimising sales, it makes sense to create stuff they believe will sell, aimed at the very people who are most likely to buy it. The recent suggestion is that, despite critiscism from the likes of us, the Nike stuff is flying off the shelves. I'm not fond of using weird colours and designs but if we were being very rigid about the choice of colours, the people who buy the stuff would be less inclined to do so.

For me, the one thing I would want to ensure is that Nike don't faff about with the home kit the way they have for the likes of Barcelona (hoops, gradients, checks etc) and Inter (zig zags). Just a nice deep red with a bit of unobtrusive white trim (can throw in a bit of gold or silver for that creative touch). As long as the away kits are designed so the players don't struggle to see each other, or don't have ill-considered kit clashes (all dark shirts like Warrior gave us in their first year), and don't end up festooned with sponsor's logos, I can make my peace with the artistic licence they take on the away kits.

It's hard to come up with 3 new designs every year. I said it a few weeks ago but I think Nike should follow the example of their kits for the 1998 World Cup (and Euro 2000). Each of their teams had their own design which was used for all the kits. No two teams shared a design. This thought process I think would focus their designers and lead to creative designs that aren't so far out there. I think they would still sell well too.

Well to be honest, Ive been buying replica shirts since the late 70s when Umbro started selling our shirts. Ive tended to buy one as  the 'next' shirt came out which used to be every 2 years. Ive slowed down as they have become more expensive, changed every season and now stretch to 3 strips!

For the first time ever, Ive decided not to buy a shirt. Im ok with the red design, Im just not into lashing 70 quid on one never mind 100 sheets.

I dont have a problem with the fashion police flapping their gums about fans wearing their colours. I wear them at the game, on holidays, for leisure and when out running.

I think part of it now is 'youth' today is very brand aware and Nike is supposedly up there while NB, much as I preferred their shirts, is not.

Totally agree it's hard to come up with 3 unique designs every season. If clubs and the fans want the money to roll in, you cannot use last season's shirt for 2 seasons on the trott and you end up with some abhorent design.

Id like to see all PL sides limited to 2 strips a season as 3 just seems to encourage the designers to use any old mix of colours. Trevor Francis was lambasted for suggesting someone should vet strips for colour clashes but Palace have introduced 3 new shirts this season and to be honest, all 3 of them would clash if their opponents wore red, blue or white!

1 minute ago, Barrington Womble said:

I assume as we were representing the premier league. 

I thought it was last season that they wouldn't let us wear it because we weren't allowed any changes to the kit mid season. Even though the PL were fine with the BLM and NHS stuff being added after lockdown. Bit weird the way they stopped us, Spain and Germany were fine with Madrid and Bayern wearing theirs for the rest of the season they won it.

We were allowed to wear them in the fa cup and CL.